Princess ad on TV last night-Alaska compared to a theme park vacation

sept10dsm

I was watching TV last night and saw a commercial for Princess.  It lists all the wonderful things to do there in Alaska!  While watching seemed like what a theme park states, a Main Street, Wilderness Lodge, and more ending with and fireworks (all the statements depicted Alaska right down to the fireworks being the Northern Lights).  Has anyone seen this yet?  I'm sure it's brand new.  I was trying to find online and only found older ads.  It ends stating how you can cruise to Alaska for half the price of a theme park vacation.  

No, not seen this advert.

But ... Princess did run an ad in our local ValPac mailing.  Seemed odd to see Princess' ad along with those of roofers, plumbers, landscapers, pizza places,  etc.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, sept10dsm said:

I was watching TV last night and saw a commercial for Princess.  It lists all the wonderful things to do there in Alaska!  While watching seemed like what a theme park states, a Main Street, Wilderness Lodge, and more ending with and fireworks (all the statements depicted Alaska right down to the fireworks being the Northern Lights).  Has anyone seen this yet?  I'm sure it's brand new.  I was trying to find online and only found older ads.  It ends stating how you can cruise to Alaska for half the price of a theme park vacation.  

The Padgett influence.

• Like 1

Half the price may be an understatement. Have you seen what a week-long Disney World vacation prices out at these days?

It's truly eye-popping: low end, basic hotels that were going for $120 a night pre-pandemic are now regularly $250 and up. They've removed free transportation to/from the airport. Access to the new version of Fastpass is now $15 per person, PER DAY (on top of your ticket into the park).... and for the top rides, you either wait in line or have to buy a $20 pass for that single ride!

It's *bonkers.*

• Like 2

Yes, all true plus too much politics.  We have relatives working there.   But the Princess commercial was great.  I was trying to find it online to show my daughter.  I caught on midway through their offerings.  Then the end notation on the ad proved me right.

How about a quarter of the price?  Cruises are great value. Disney is around $125 to $150 a day in the summer months, add on a couple lightning lane passes and genie, $200 per person per day! Which doesn't include food or hotel.  Families want to vacation, and cruises are a great value. 

1 hour ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Half the price may be an understatement. Have you seen what a week-long Disney World vacation prices out at these days?

It's truly eye-popping: low end, basic hotels that were going for $120 a night pre-pandemic are now regularly $250 and up. They've removed free transportation to/from the airport. Access to the new version of Fastpass is now $15 per person, PER DAY (on top of your ticket into the park).... and for the top rides, you either wait in line or have to buy a $20 pass for that single ride!

It's *bonkers.*

You are talking WDW, and we thought of Disneyland! Any on property Disneyland hotel is minimum of $500 per night in the summer!  It is truly crazy! 

3 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

How about a quarter of the price?  Cruises are great value. Disney is around $125 to $150 a day in the summer months, add on a couple lightning lane passes and genie, $200 per person per day! Which doesn't include food or hotel.  Families want to vacation, and cruises are a great value. 

Huhhhh? Quarter of the price?  I do not thank so because our family has 2 mini suites booked for a 10 day cruise this summer to Alaska and the minis alone are over $16,000.  

That does not even include excursions, drinks, tips, and all the other things that are yet to come.

We easily could do Disney for a lot less money.  

Princess has cut back services and product wherever they can and are charging more.  No way a cruise is all that great a value when you compare it to other types of family vacations out there.  Found the commercial to be very vague in proving  the point?

Not for the high end hotels.  That new Star Wars is I believe .5,000 for a 2 day stay.  My son works there.  Prices sky high, while yes you may do it for of course less than 16,000 with their high end places like you are doing on Princess, probably not.  Now all park entries are on a reservation basis, for tickets, and those prices way up.  and the food etc.  I've been going to Disney World since 1976 and at least 30 trips since and always did a trip on a decent price.  But now they are charging, I guess like Princess for things like Fast Pass.  The things that Princess was pointing out in the ad,  all at Disney World.  So while of course completely different, seemed to be alluding to Disney World.

1 hour ago, Princessfan20 said:

Huhhhh? Quarter of the price?  I do not thank so because our family has 2 mini suites booked for a 10 day cruise this summer to Alaska and the minis alone are over $16,000. 

You might be overpaying for that cruise? I’m on a 12 day to Alaska this summer. Currently, a balcony, with drinks, gratuities and beverages is about $2200  on our sailing.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

You might be overpaying for that cruise? I’m on a 12 day to Alaska this summer. Currently, a balcony, with drinks, gratuities and beverages is about $2200  on our sailing.

It all depends on what you book. I just checked on our 12 day Alaska out of Vancouver sailing May 2nd. A Club Class Mini Suite with Princess Plus and 2 passengers shows as being pretty spendy. I didn't select a cabin but let them choose for me. Of course there are only so many Club Class Mini Suites on the ship.

image.png.ef9aee7f0520820dfdd093c05d649995.png

Not for the high end hotels.  That new Star Wars is I believe .5,000 for a 2 day stay.  My son works there.  Prices sky high, while yes you may do it for of course less than 16,000 with their high end places like you are doing on Princess, probably not.  Now all park entries are on a reservation basis, for tickets, and those prices way up.  and the food etc.  I've been going to Disney World since 1976 and at least 30 trips since and always did a trip on a decent price.  But now they are charging, I guess like Princess for things like Fast Pass.  The things that Princess was pointing out in the ad,  all at Disney World.  So while of course completely different, seemed to be alluding to Disney World.

But that is the same as saying everyone stays in a Suite on Princess which they do not.  There are plenty of great hotels and timeshares which drops the price considerably in Orlando.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

That does not even include excursions, drinks, tips, and all the other things that are yet to come.

Princess has cut back services and product wherever they can and are charging more.  No way a cruise is all that great a value when you compare it to other types of family vacations out there.  Found the commercial to be very vague in proving  the point?

We just booked $359 base fare plus $200 port taxes and fees and $280 for proncess plus (which is all drinks, unlimited wifi and tips for a week on the Discovery.  Single occupancy balcony room.  $839pp  for a week TOTAL PER PERSON. Includes EVERYTHING 

Edited to add we have $350 obc too.  Please let us know how you can book Disneyland for that. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

When was the last time you cruised with Princess? 

2 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Not so.....we know Princess pricing very well and currently have the lowest mini-suite prices on that particular ship and itinerary at this time.  

We do not see cruising as necessarily the most value when it comes to travel.  We are always able to fly first class and stay in some of the best hotels in the world fo far less money than being on a cruise ship.  It now seems it is a nickel and dime world on the mass market cruise lines like Princess.  

As a matter of fact, we have decided that with Princess offering less for more money we are probably going to be going to Viking, Oceania, Seabourn or Silversea and get what we are willing to pay for.

10 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

We just booked $359 base fare plus $200 port taxes and fees and $280 for proncess plus (which is all drinks, unlimited wifi and tips for a week on the Discovery.  Single occupancy balcony room.  $839pp  for a week TOTAL PER PERSON. Includes EVERYTHING 

Edited to add we have $350 obc too.  Please let us know how you can book Disneyland for that. 

Ensenada is definitely exciting this time of year.  

12 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

I guess you have never hear of hotel award stays, airline awards and free car rental?  Princess does not offer that.

5 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

I guess you have never hear of hotel award stays, airline awards and free car rental?  Princess does not offer that.

A Disneyland 5 night park hopper is over $400, which gets you admission and that's it. Not even the new fastpass genie or lightning lane. 7 nights, add another $250, so that's $650pp to get in the parks. Doesn't include meals.  Princess doesn't nickel and dime. They are a great value.

• Like 3