Solarium use

Hello to all - this is our first Princess cruise, our history is with Royal Caribbean. RCL charges for use of the solarium. We prefer the quietnesses of the solarium as two 70’s retirees. Is there a charge for this? We are scheduled on the September 24 transpacific on the Majestic out of LA. Really looking forward to this after so many prior cruises since our initial 2020 cancelled and rescheduled. 

Thanks,

Ruth

3 hours ago, California Traveler said:

Hello to all - this is our first Princess cruise, our history is with Royal Caribbean. RCL charges for use of the solarium. We prefer the quietnesses of the solarium as two 70’s retirees. Is there a charge for this? We are scheduled on the September 24 transpacific on the Majestic out of LA. Really looking forward to this after so many prior cruises since our initial 2020 cancelled and rescheduled. 

Thanks,

Ruth

The ‘Royal class’ Princess ships have a paid adult area known as the ‘Sanctuary’ which you can book for the entire cruise, a day pass or half day pass.

The Majestic Princess has the Hollywood Pool and Conservatory which is adults only and is no charge to use. There are cabana type areas with loungers and sofas that are on a first come basis. There are floor to ceiling windows and this is the only Royal class ship with the pool being enclosed. The pool on other Royal class ships in this area,  is known as the Retreat pool and has cabanas to reserve for a fee. 

Many Majestic passengers enjoy this area while in Alaska as it is protected from the weather being totally enclosed, but with great views because of the floor to ceiling windows throughout the space. You can see many YouTube videos that show tours of the ship.

if you are referencing the Hollywood Conservatory, there is no charge to use this space.

Besides the Hollywood Pool Club the Majestic does not have any other solarium style facility. There is The Enclave on deck 5 forward. This is a relaxation spa area with heated benches, special hot pool and other amenities. You have to sign up for the cruise and there is a charge. It is a place to visit and relax, but not a lounge area to sit all day.

9 hours ago, California Traveler said:

Thanks,

Ruth

That's odd.   I've never paid to use the solarium on RCI.  Do you mean the spa/ thermal suites?

4 hours ago, GatorGirl1313 said:

That's odd.   I've never paid to use the solarium on RCI.  Do you mean the spa/ thermal suites?

The Solarium on RCI is different than on Princess. On Princess it is an adults only paid area (except as noted above, some ships don't have it as a paid area, namely Majestic where it is called the Hollywood Conservatory). I have been on Sky Princess and Caribbean Princess and on both it is a paid adults only area. The fee is $20 for half day. Slightly less if you pay for the entire week. There are also cabanas for rent in the Sanctuary for an additional fee. You make the reservations onboard. 

The spa/thermal suites are not the same as The Sanctuary (on Princess). On Sky Princess that is called The Enclave and can be booked in advance. 

The Hollywood Conservatory on the Majestic is a lovely area!

My DD, her DH & I enjoyed it last Sept in Alaska.  Our week was cool, rainy & windy so the enclosed area & covered pool was great!  It's not as quiet & secluded as the Sanctuary (my DD enjoys the Sanctuary; I think it's overpriced).  But it is adults only.

Enjoy!

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

Is there a free steam or sauna on the Majestic?

No, if you want free steam and sauna if they are working would be ‘Grand Class’ ships, being in the changing rooms at Fitness center/gym, on Crown, Emerald, Caribbean, and Ruby and Sapphire.

On the Grand Princess they are located outside by the Lotus pool, not in the changing room with the lockers.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, seeyouinthesun said:

The Solarium on RCI is different than on Princess. On Princess it is an adults only paid area (except as noted above, some ships don't have it as a paid area, namely Majestic where it is called the Hollywood Conservatory). I have been on Sky Princess and Caribbean Princess and on both it is a paid adults only area. The fee is $20 for half day. Slightly less if you pay for the entire week. There are also cabanas for rent in the Sanctuary for an additional fee. You make the reservations onboard. 

The spa/thermal suites are not the same as The Sanctuary (on Princess). On Sky Princess that is called The Enclave and can be booked in advance. 

I am aware of this. The OP said she was charged on RCI to use the Solarium. I have never ever been charged for the Solarium  on Royal.  I can't find any indication that any royal ships charge for this.  It is simply an adult only area at no cost   This is why I wondered if OP was confusing the RCI Solariums with something else.

4 hours ago, GatorGirl1313 said:

I am aware of this. The OP said she was charged on RCI to use the Solarium. I have never ever been charged for the Solarium  on Royal.  I can't find any indication that any royal ships charge for this.  It is simply an adult only area at no cost   This is why I wondered if OP was confusing the RCI Solariums with something else.

My sincere apologies. 

12 hours ago, wallyj said:

No, if you want free steam and sauna if they are working would be ‘Grand Class’ ships, being in the changing rooms at Fitness center/gym, on Crown, Emerald, Caribbean, and Ruby and Sapphire.

On the Grand Princess they are located outside by the Lotus pool, not in the changing room with the lockers.

That's what I thought. Sapphire/ Diamond also have them. I don't like these new, big ships!

Edited by victory2020

3 hours ago, victory2020 said:

That's what I thought. Sapphire/ Diamond also have them. I don't like these new, big ships!

I believe the Diamond was remodeled awhile ago for the Japanese market. They now have a ‘paid’ Japanese bath type experience that will switch from ‘male’ or ‘females’ only for the day, I believe it is called ‘Izumi’ , the Diamond deck plans still show ‘steam and sauna’ in the changing rooms. My reply already noted they were available on the Sapphire .

• Thanks 1