Princess Platinum Plan Insurance for Canadians

kaerofan

On 4/5/2022 at 12:54 PM, Lady Arwen said:

We added it to our upcoming cruise with no issues.  Paid in Canadian dollars. If you go to Manage My Cruise, it’s in that section.

How was the price compared to other travel medical companies.  I normally go through a medical company for travel medical and cancellation insurance, never  thought of going through the cruise line.   

Marlster

For us it was less expensive.  We get the Platinum plan at the standard rate because of our loyalty status.  Our medical insurance for travel we get from Johnson Insurance, which was my DH work benefit that carried over when he retired, at a low rate.  I like cancellation with Princess because easier to deal with if claim is necessary.

21 minutes ago, Marlster said:

How was the price compared to other travel medical companies.  I normally go through a medical company for travel medical and cancellation insurance, never  thought of going through the cruise line.   

Marlster

The Princess Platinum insurance is good for CFAR coverage (Cancel For Any Reason).  Many experienced cruisers have posted that you can get much better medical coverage with third-party providers - but you aren't always going to be getting the CFAR along with it.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The Princess Platinum insurance is good for CFAR coverage (Cancel For Any Reason).  Many experienced cruisers have posted that you can get much better medical coverage with third-party providers - but you aren't always going to be getting the CFAR along with it.

Also, the medical coverage with Princess Platinum is only $20,000 per person, which is basically nothing.  Our travel insurance is for $5,000,000.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Also, the medical coverage with Princess Platinum is only $20,000 per person, which is basically nothing.  Our travel insurance is for $5,000,000.

That was my point about better coverage elsewhere.  We have annual TI policy that we augment with additional days if away from home >60.  I'd only buy the Princess if we wanted to have CFAR.

And, we only need that these days for the final 30 days before sailing due to Book with Confidence policy.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

IIRC there are some 3rd party policies that do offer CFAR, but they typically cap out at 75%, not the generous 100% that Princess and their insurer offer. That extra 25% can add up to real $$$s given the cost of cruises these days.  We used to buy the Princess coverage without fail every trip until they stopped selling it in Quebec ;o(

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

IIRC there are some 3rd party policies that do offer CFAR, but they typically cap out at 75%, not the generous 100% that Princess and their insurer offer. That extra 25% can add up to real $$$s given the cost of cruises these days.  We used to buy the Princess coverage without fail every trip until they stopped selling it in Quebec ;o(

I used to buy it many years back, but have not in a long time.  Have not been concerned with CFAR as ultimately realized we weren't going to be canceling unless forced to.