No flightseeing options in Ketchikan?

quack2

I was just looking at the available Ketchikan excursions on my mid-June Alaska cruise.  It appears that my cruise line is not offering any flightseeing options to Misty Fjords, bear viewing spots or anywhere else.  Has the liability risk become too great for the cruise lines to offer flights in Ketchikan?  There are fixed wing and helicopter options offered in Juneau and Skagway.

It looks like you can still book direct with Island Wings, Taquan and the other operators.

On 4/5/2022 at 9:38 PM, donaldsc said:

So why don't you book direct instead of trying to book via the ship.  The ship tour operator will be the same as the one that you book direct.

DON

It's not about me.  It's about what might be going on with the industry.

On 4/5/2022 at 8:29 PM, Northern Aurora said:

I  have no idea if row liability is too high to offer these types of excursions, but do know that the tourism industry in Alaska is experiencing very strong bookings and folks in the business are predicting almost record levels.

Record levels of what?  Apparently not flightseeing in Ketchikan, at least as far as ship excursions are concerned.

1 hour ago, quack2 said:

Record levels of what?  Apparently not flightseeing in Ketchikan, at least as far as ship excursions are concerned.

I just did a dummy booking for a date in June w/o problems.  Why does the OP have to book with the ship?

DON

I am on a celebrity cruise in July & they offer a Misty Fiords floatplane excursion.

I booked independently with Island Wings air.  My husband & I took a float plane in 2017 also- booked independently.   The prices are less than booking with the cruise line but cruise lines use the same companies.

• Like 1

I can understand why HAL might be reluctant to offer float plane excursions but many other cruise lines continue to have them. And agree- we have booked with Island wings several times in the past and have another one booked with them this summer. 

On 4/6/2022 at 10:55 PM, donaldsc said:

I just did a dummy booking for a date in June w/o problems.  Why does the OP have to book with the ship?

DON

Do you even bother to read my responses?  I'm not trying to book anything.  I'm merely observing that at least one cruise line is apparently not offering flightseeing in Ketchikan.

Sheesh.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2022 at 8:03 AM, Cambria2 said:

I booked independently with Island Wings air.  

We have flown with Michelle (Island Wings) 3 times, 2 times to Misty Fjords and once to Anan for salmon runs and bear watching. Planning to go with her again next summer. Fun experience.