Tundra Wilderness Tour abbreviated? Goes to mile 43

MudderBear

@MudderBear:  The only road into Denali National Park is definitely closed for the 2022 season as the moving and shifting road section is bridged.  It is not simply a slide where the debris could be removed.  The NPS  spokesman has stated they hope to have the bridge project completed to the point that the road may be partially opened at only certain limited times the summer of 2023; that statement may have been made to appease tourism business owners operating in the area.

Lots of mixed messages on this.  We have booked the Tundra Wilderness Tour in June.  That goes to mile 43.  Right now the park is only open to  mile 12.5 because of snow.  I spoke with someone at Doyon/Aramark tours which is the tour company that provides the bus tours into the park.  He told me that it is expected that the Tundra Wilderness Tour to mile 43 will be available.  Of course things can change.  Pretty Rock is well past that area. I am hoping for the best.

On 4/7/2022 at 1:05 PM, AKStafford said:

The shuttle buses offer the same views on the same road for much cheaper:   https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

I'm always fascinated at the "just take the shuttle bus" suggestion for Denali. Maybe for a second time to the park, but not for a first visit.

The tour bus was outfitted with a camera with telephoto lens and monitors, so the driver could stop, zoom in on animals, and narrate each time we spotted wildlife. The shuttle buses had nothing like this (at least as of 2018)... it was just a ride between visitor's centers on our second day there.

On 4/12/2022 at 6:37 PM, Mrs Peel said:

Lots of mixed messages on this.  We have booked the Tundra Wilderness Tour in June.  That goes to mile 43.  Right now the park is only open to  mile 12.5 because of snow.  I spoke with someone at Doyon/Aramark tours which is the tour company that provides the bus tours into the park.  He told me that it is expected that the Tundra Wilderness Tour to mile 43 will be available.  Of course things can change.  Pretty Rock is well past that area. I am hoping for the best.

Tundra Wilderness Tour to mile 43 will be available.  Of course things can change.  Pretty Rock is well past that area.

Pretty Rocks (Polychrome overlook) mile 43 is not that far along the Park Road -

the turn around point mile 43 - no one has posted or photo/video what it is like ?

The Park Road is a narrow gravel 2 lane road to turn the tour buses there must

be a large turnout in the roadway otherwise the buses will have trouble with the U-Turn ?