Trieste what to see & do

ski ww

Only been there once, a port stop on an Adriatic itinerary.

We bought day tickets and took the public bus up to a small  hilltop town above Trieste, which I think was called Opatija. There was not a great deal to see or do there  (for us) so we didn't linger long, but the views from up there  were fabulous. All of Trieste and the sea spread out below, and we thought the views alone were worth the ride.  There is a quite famous tram which runs that route, although it was closed for repair when we visited and buses had been substituted.  If the tram is up and running again, that would be quite a fun ride.  

Once back in Trieste we used our day tickets again and took a public bus along to  Miramare Castle which has a lovely setting and some gardens.

Back in town once again we explored some of Trieste itself.

I think you will find enough to keep you occupied for a day.

Edited by edinburgher

Looks like this place will get very busy this season as am sure we're not the only ship which will be using the port for arriving/ departing cruises since Venice is closed.

Our Oosterdam cruise June 1-June 13 arrives in Trieste at 6 AM on the 13th so those of us departing for home on that day won’t be able to visit Trieste either. My Hope now is that my 1215 flight out of Venice airport for Philly will be doable. Since I am with Flight ease and transfers I hope HAL will make suitable arrangements for those of us on this or other early flights😬