Sky Princess - blog as we sail - Mum, Dad & Teenager!

Maizie_Mouse

Just now, Maizie_Mouse said:

I Remember from the board for this cruise & I did wonder what happened in the end. 

There are some young children on & I do wonder how they managed it unless they are from countries that vaccinated the younger kids before UK started. 

I guess that’s the case and also some children are able to be vaccinated if there are ‘relevant medical’ reasons in their family such as immune deficiencies. Our 12 year old grandson couldn’t get his second jab in time as he was only that age in late Jan 22. The 9 year old girls are awaiting their first jabs next month. 

So we are homeward bound with some bobbing around in the B o B 😐

I haven't posted for a few days because to be honest it might have become a bit boring as it has been a bit samey samey! 

From leaving Cartagena to Vigo with a day at sea we had a bit of rock & roll, swell was at the bow of ship so stabelisers are no use in those conditions 😐 out came the travel sickness tablets again. We missed the last formal night because I defo did not feel like doing my hair & make-up & getting dressed up, the other 2 felt the same 

We just went to buffet & had a bite to eat up there, there were a lot of people maybe they felt the same or didn't fancy the MDR menu. 

We made an effort last night so that we could try & get a few nice photos & we went to MDR for dinner, we managed to find enough on the menu even if it was mostly from the Princess favourites. 

There was a magician on in the theatre, I went for a look, it was a bit disappointing, more of a seaside/holiday camp standard. 

I'll be back soon just in the theatre at meet the Captain Q & A

• Like 1

For those that wanted to know Captain Heikki only on for the next cruise then he's off for 2 months and will be back on in 2 months. 

It's been really interesting & entertaining, shame they waited until the last day to do this. 

43 minutes ago, Maizie_Mouse said:

For those that wanted to know Captain Heikki only on for the next cruise then he's off for 2 months and will be back on in 2 months. 

It's been really interesting & entertaining, shame they waited until the last day to do this. 

Thank you for all your insight. We get married aboard Sky in August. If it is near to you, and you don’t mind, would you possibly be able to take some pictures of the wedding chapel on riveria deck 14 as there are no pictures online and my fiancée is interested to see the room. Totally understand if not, it’s a cheeky request! 

We are hoping the mask mandate will become optional again before august, is there any word about this happening onboard? 

1 hour ago, joeecco said:

Thank you for all your insight. We get married aboard Sky in August. If it is near to you, and you don’t mind, would you possibly be able to take some pictures of the wedding chapel on riveria deck 14 as there are no pictures online and my fiancée is interested to see the room. Totally understand if not, it’s a cheeky request! 

We are hoping the mask mandate will become optional again before august, is there any word about this happening onboard? 

I have not heard anything about mask wearing on future cruises, at the moment once in a bar or restaurant masks are off its only while walking round indoors & most are wearing in the theatre although no signs to say it's mandatory. 

27 minutes ago, joeecco said:

I think there was an episode of Susan Calman on Sky Princess at a wedding recently. On channel five I think. 

Just now, ozscotart said:

I think there was an episode of Susan Calman on Sky Princess at a wedding recently. On channel five I think. 

Thank you but That was for Regal - plus we do not like her at all so can’t bring ourselves to give her the views 🤣 

• Haha 2

Just been to reception to sort out a discrepancy on our account. 

Keep an in it, if you can't view on the app there are 2 pods at reception where you can print it. 

In the Spanish ports there is some tax they add if you buy food & drink on board while in Port but if you have a drinks package this should not be a problem for drinks but chargeable food will be charged & taxed (its explained on the Patter but I didn't keep a spain port patter)! Anyway my son (age14) ended up with 2 charges for drinks & tax so questioned it as he has a package, no problem it was removed. 

While there I asked how many passengers on board this cruise 3153 inc 390 children 

Next cruise they expecting 3280

I also asked if she knew who was coming on as captain but she didn't know. 

14 minutes ago, joeecco said:

Thank you but That was for Regal - plus we do not like her at all so can’t bring ourselves to give her the views 🤣 

I think she’s a wee star, she convinced me we’d like a Canaries cruise, which I’d previously been rejecting as probably dull.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozscotart said:

I think she’s a wee star, she convinced me we’d like a Canaries cruise, which I’d previously been rejecting as probably dull.

I'm not a huge fan either but we watched more to get an glimpse of what Sky might be like,  we'd run out of you tube vloggers who'd  been on sky, actually Susan Calman was  good & we enjoyed the 2 episodes that we saw. 

Edited by Maizie_Mouse

1 hour ago, Maizie_Mouse said:

Just been to reception to sort out a discrepancy on our account. 

Keep an in it, if you can't view on the app there are 2 pods at reception where you can print it. 

In the Spanish ports there is some tax they add if you buy food & drink on board while in Port but if you have a drinks package this should not be a problem for drinks but chargeable food will be charged & taxed (its explained on the Patter but I didn't keep a spain port patter)! Anyway my son (age14) ended up with 2 charges for drinks & tax so questioned it as he has a package, no problem it was removed. 

While there I asked how many passengers on board this cruise 3153 inc 390 children 

Next cruise they expecting 3280

I also asked if she knew who was coming on as captain but she didn't know. 

390 children 😳 Yet no UK kids between 5 and 11 could be vaccinated prior to the cruise unless under special circumstances and 12 yrs and above they had to be double jabbed at least 14 days prior to the last day of the cruise 😬 I guess that’s a lot of teenagers and under 5’s 🤔 

Brilliant for them… we’re not gutted at all ( I lied ) 😀

1 hour ago, devonuk said:

390 children 😳 Yet no UK kids between 5 and 11 could be vaccinated prior to the cruise unless under special circumstances and 12 yrs and above they had to be double jabbed at least 14 days prior to the last day of the cruise 😬 I guess that’s a lot of teenagers and under 5’s 🤔 

Brilliant for them… we’re not gutted at all ( I lied ) 😀

To be honest I'm not sure where all the kids were, there didn't seem to be that many when out & about on the ship & I feel I saw the same kids all the time. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, joeecco said:

If no one manages to get you any pics of the wedding chapel we are on Sky 04/06 and the wedding chapel is next door to the suite lounge so will be able to get you some then, sorry it’s over a month away I couldn’t convince my hubby to book any more cruises😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stokie33 said:

If no one manages to get you any pics of the wedding chapel we are on Sky 04/06 and the wedding chapel is next door to the suite lounge so will be able to get you some then, sorry it’s over a month away I couldn’t convince my hubby to book any more cruises😂

Aw that would be absolutely fantastic, thank you ever so much! Hope you have a fantastic cruise x

• Like 1

So last night, bags all packed & put out ready for collection. We all did a covid test that I brought with & thankfully we are all negative, will do it again in a few days before going back to school. 

I will sum up the whole 2 weeks when I get home and I have my laptop & stable Internet. 

Thank you if you've read along so far & sorry if I couldn't answer any of the questions. 

• Like 4

So been home now for a day, bags unpacked and ready to sum up the cruise for anyone that followed me for the last 2 weeks.

So it had been 7 years since our last cruise, we still enjoyed it as we had before but of course there are a lot of changes be they because of Covid or trying to be greener or cost savings.

So in the cabins the things you notice that are not there anymore were the little things, like sewing kits, shower caps etc in the bathrooms, pad & pen on the desk & little chocolate on the pillow in the evening of course removing these items must save lots of ££/$$. The cleaning stanards are high and could not fault anything on that score. For those like me that always wonder about the decorative cushions & runners on the bed and how clean they are - I had lost something & had to look under then bed for the item & under there in sealed bags was a new set of everything including duvets ready for the changeover at the end of the cruise, this was very reassuring to know. On the room attendents service trolley he had 2 stacks of coloured cloths which I asssume because of covid they now use a new set for each room to avoid spreading anything.

Around the ship in bars there are now not any drinks menus, probably because they are high touch items but on the other hand in the MDR many people would have touched the menus each evening unless they are wiped over after each table but I did not see any evidence of this.

In the restaurtants, buffet & room service single serve sachet items like sauce, butters, jams & preserves are a thing of the past these are all served by the staff from bowls behind the counters, having all the buffet food served to you is probably a good thing because there is far less food waste from guests piling their plate high and leaving half of it & then going back for more. The tea & coffee stations in the buffet are now staffed all the time, which is also probably a good thing, I remember queueing at these stations in the past and was often a bit crowded & dangerous given lot of people carrying mugs of hot liquid.

MDR the menu choice was not always great for us so I think in the 2 weeks we only ate there 5 times otherwise I & my son would have ended up eating the same thing everynight from the princess favourites and on the few times we did go he was still hungery after the meal (hollow legs!!). 

Alfredo's pizzas were fantastic I think we had 1 lunch & 3 dinners in there and no the pizza slices from the pool deck were not the same, son & husband did quality control 😅

Saltydog burgers, hotdogs, fries & taco's were lovely.

International Cafe was great for coffees & light bite sandwiches & sweet things, husband was rather partial to the spiced lentil pies in there and it often came in handy for a small sandwich if son was still hungry after dinner. If you are not on a drinks package the coffee, lattes & teas etc were a similar price to Starbucks.

The World Fresh Market Place buffet, after 2 weeks I still didn't really get the logic of the layout, you really have to go around it twice to make sure you saw everything before you decide what you want to eat. Some of the food choices on offer were often odd combinations & often didn't seem to compliment.

We ate at 1 of the speciality restaurants The Crown Grill, this was fantastic and went twice because we had some credit from a cancelled port tour, it was a truley wonderful meal on both times.

Drinks package was great and no need to worry about getting a big bill on the last night as long as you stay $12 & under per drink there is no charge, if you did order something more than $12 you are only charged the difference between the 2.

The entertainment I felt was below what I expected based on previous cruises with other companies over the years, having chatted with one of the entertainment crew who was a singer she said that a lot of entertainment staff had to find other jobs during covid, so many of the cruise lines are struggling to get good actors/singers etc to put on the big shows we used to love.

On the last day they had the Q&A with the Captain the theatre was packed out, not sure why they kept him until the last day and also we had Linda Robson (UK tv - Loose Women & Birds of a feather) again a packed out theatre on the last afternoon, she'd been on almost a week so why they kept her til the last day too, was a shame, she was great. I think they need to work a little harder to get a few more higher class acts on if they can't do the big shows.

The Medallion App in theory should be fantatsic but in reality is not really up to the job, I never managed to use it on my android phone for anything it was constantly frozen, so for ordering drinks or looking for shipmates, booking a table for dinner it was useless, I think when I switched to my ipad I was able to look at our on board account, and on my husbands phone we managed to do crew chat while having dinner to sort out an issue in our room. 

I used the interactive TV on our room for booking tables & viewing the menus in the MDR each morning

The Medallion itself was great no need to sign for drinks etc & when appraoching your room the door would unlock so fab if you have your handsful you just need to pull the handle down, so elbows came in handy there! 

The Wi-Fi was pretty stable and I was able to get my pupdates & photos from my friend who was looking after my furbaby, I was able to check email & facebook although this didn't seem to refresh very well, as well as general internet search for the next port of call & a Facetime video call to a friend, I think if you remember you are at sea and don't expect it be like the Wi-Fi at home you'll be fine.

We had a mini suite and the extra space was really great, I'm so glad we choose it over the regular balcony cabin I just hope on future cruises we can afford to do it again, the balcony on the other hand was disappointing (although I knew this before we went) 2 chairs & a table took up most of the space, but for the few days of good weather that we had it was fine.

So would we go back with Princess?

The actual ship was beautiful, the staff were all friendly & so helpful but I think some the food & entertainment was disappointing for us so maybe for next time we'll look again at Royal Caribbean or Celebrity which for us just seem to have the edge and even though there was a kids & teen club there was not much else on the ship for kids to do so I wonder if this ship is not really aimed at families?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Maizie_Mouse said:

So been home now for a day, bags unpacked and ready to sum up the cruise for anyone that followed me for the last 2 weeks.

So it had been 7 years since our last cruise, we still enjoyed it as we had before but of course there are a lot of changes be they because of Covid or trying to be greener or cost savings.

So in the cabins the things you notice that are not there anymore were the little things, like sewing kits, shower caps etc in the bathrooms, pad & pen on the desk & little chocolate on the pillow in the evening of course removing these items must save lots of ££/$$. The cleaning stanards are high and could not fault anything on that score. For those like me that always wonder about the decorative cushions & runners on the bed and how clean they are - I had lost something & had to look under then bed for the item & under there in sealed bags was a new set of everything including duvets ready for the changeover at the end of the cruise, this was very reassuring to know. On the room attendents service trolley he had 2 stacks of coloured cloths which I asssume because of covid they now use a new set for each room to avoid spreading anything.

Around the ship in bars there are now not any drinks menus, probably because they are high touch items but on the other hand in the MDR many people would have touched the menus each evening unless they are wiped over after each table but I did not see any evidence of this.

In the restaurtants, buffet & room service single serve sachet items like sauce, butters, jams & preserves are a thing of the past these are all served by the staff from bowls behind the counters, having all the buffet food served to you is probably a good thing because there is far less food waste from guests piling their plate high and leaving half of it & then going back for more. The tea & coffee stations in the buffet are now staffed all the time, which is also probably a good thing, I remember queueing at these stations in the past and was often a bit crowded & dangerous given lot of people carrying mugs of hot liquid.

MDR the menu choice was not always great for us so I think in the 2 weeks we only ate there 5 times otherwise I & my son would have ended up eating the same thing everynight from the princess favourites and on the few times we did go he was still hungery after the meal (hollow legs!!). 

Alfredo's pizzas were fantastic I think we had 1 lunch & 3 dinners in there and no the pizza slices from the pool deck were not the same, son & husband did quality control 😅

International Cafe was great for coffees & light bite sandwiches & sweet things, husband was rather partial to the spiced lentil pies in there and it often came in handy for a small sandwich if son was still hungry after dinner. If you are not on a drinks package the coffee, lattes & teas etc were a similar price to Starbucks.

The World Fresh Market Place buffet, after 2 weeks I still didn't really get the logic of the layout, you really have to go around it twice to make sure you saw everything before you decide what you want to eat. Some of the food choices on offer were often odd combinations & often didn't seem to compliment.

We ate at 1 of the speciality restaurants The Crown Grill, this was fantastic and went twice because we had some credit from a cancelled port tour, it was a truley wonderful meal on both times.

Drinks package was great and no need to worry about getting a big bill on the last night as long as you stay $12 & under per drink there is no charge, if you did order something more than $12 you are only charged the difference between the 2.

The entertainment I felt was below what I expected based on previous cruises with other companies over the years, having chatted with one of the entertainment crew who was a singer she said that a lot of entertainment staff had to find other jobs during covid, so many of the cruise lines are struggling to get good actors/singers etc to put on the big shows we used to love.

On the last day they had the Q&A with the Captain the theatre was packed out, not sure why they kept him until the last day and also we had Linda Robson (UK tv - Loose Women & Birds of a feather) again a packed out theatre on the last afternoon, she'd been on almost a week so why they kept her til the last day too, was a shame, she was great. I think they need to work a little harder to get a few more higher class acts on if they can't do the big shows.

The Medallion App in theory should be fantatsic but in reality is not really up to the job, I never managed to use it on my android phone for anything it was constantly frozen, so for ordering drinks or looking for shipmates, booking a table for dinner it was useless, I think when I switched to my ipad I was able to look at our on board account, and on my husbands phone we managed to do crew chat while having dinner to sort out an issue in our room. 

I used the interactive TV on our room for booking tables & viewing the menus in the MDR each morning

The Medallion itself was great no need to sign for drinks etc & when appraoching your room the door would unlock so fab if you have your handsful you just need to pull the handle down, so elbows came in handy there! 

The Wi-Fi was pretty stable and I was able to get my pupdates & photos from my friend who was looking after my furbaby, I was able to check email & facebook although this didn't seem to refresh very well, as well as general internet search for the next port of call & a Facetime video call to a friend, I think if you remember you are at sea and don't expect it be like the Wi-Fi at home you'll be fine.

We had a mini suite and the extra space was really great, I'm so glad we choose it over the regular balcony cabin I just hope on future cruises we can afford to do it again, the balcony on the other hand was disappointing (although I knew this before we went) 2 chairs & a table took up most of the space, but for the few days of good weather that we had it was fine.

The actual ship was beautiful, the staff were all friendly & so helpful but I think some the food & entertainment was disappointing for us so maybe for next time we'll look again at Royal Caribbean or Celebrity which for us just seem to have the edge and even though there was a kids & teen club there was not much else on the ship for kids to do so I wonder if this ship is not really aimed at families?

Thanks for the summary. May I ask was it just Dolphin midship for the COVID isolation area or did it venture into the forward area too? Also, what did you think of your mini suite location? TIA

5 minutes ago, villauk said:

Thanks for the summary. May I ask was it just Dolphin midship for the COVID isolation area or did it venture into the forward area too? Also, what did you think of your mini suite location? TIA

We were Fwd on Aloha (12) and when we went down the stairs rather than the lift at our end the big door was closed over at Deck 9, we never used the mid ship lifts so don't don't know if the door was closed there too.

We were very happy with the location of our mini suite, we had a good view of the bridge too, far enough from the lifts not to be disturbed but near enough to not feel as though we walked for ages to get to lifts or stairs.

Edited by Maizie_Mouse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the blog/summery.

As a UK couple we find Princess fits when the price is right, which it has been this year from UK ports while a lot of others are a bit pricey (unless you can do P&O)

Often it is late booking to get the price with Princess

Still some good deals on the round Britain and the Enchanted.

It sits with the other main brands so does the job for us, each have their positives.

If there were 400 kids/teens on then they did a decent job of entertaining them if they were not out and about on the ship.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Maizie_Mouse said:

Oh yes, the lentil pies were superb..! 
Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👌

On 4/22/2022 at 11:26 AM, joeecco said:

Masks were recommended for 9th April sailing, they were not compulsory anywhere on the ship.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 9:54 PM, Maizie_Mouse said:

Currently masks must be worn at all times in indoor public places, lifts, corridors et etc can be removed for eating & drinking. Tbh I've not seen too many not adhering to this, so fingers crossed we can all enjoy an isolation free cruise. 

There are kettles on Sky for all the English departures. 

That's strange as the Princess website states the following for cruises from Southampton:

"

UPDATED: Will I have to wear a face mask?

Masks are recommended, but not required, in the majority of venues, though they may be required in select venues or situations. This will be clearly designated through signage and onboard communications."

From what you're saying that policy isn't being adhered to. 

:

3 hours ago, brynmelyndavid said:

That's strange as the Princess website states the following for cruises from Southampton:

"

Masks are recommended, but not required, in the majority of venues, though they may be required in select venues or situations. This will be clearly designated through signage and onboard communications."

:

Sky Princess had high levels of Covidon her transatlantic, so masks were reintroduced at ships discretion, in order to control the outbreak.  Covered under the “select venues or situations” in the passage you quoted. 

4 hours ago, brynmelyndavid said:

"

:

On the 1st day I saw crew asking passengers to put on masks while walking round indoors. Once inside a bar or restaurant you could take them off.

There was no signs at any venues ssuggesting sip & cover.

we wore masks as soon as we left our room until we got to where we were going, there are always going to be people who don't wear them, people would stand at the lift waitng to get in holding a mask and because we were in there with a mask on they put on.

I never saw a staff member not in a mask & I don't know what levels of covid there were on our cruise. I guess it's down to individuals to do what they feel if it's not mandatory.