What is the rationale of not requiring testing for b2b pax?

ebeluga

Am I misreading something or is the title of the thread a little misleading? Passengers are reporting there was no Covid testing on their B2B on Discovery but Covid tests for back to back sailings are still required according to Princess FAQ last updated April 11, 2022? (found under "Before you sail")

Yes, back-to-back bookings will be available for vaccinated guests, subject to availability.

Guests on back-to-back voyages will need to disembark the ship at the end of each voyage and receive a complimentary viral COVID-19 test. They will be permitted to board the ship again once they receive a negative test result.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

No testing between the 4/3 & 4/10 cruises on Discovery either.

IMHO as we will be on a Med B3B on the Regal in July, we can only dream that this will be the case for our cruise as well. Talk about a stress reducer! We're also hoping the US will have eliminated the need for a negative Antigen test before being allowed to fly back to the US. I know, but one can at least hope. 🤞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NRWPA said:

Am I misreading something or is the title of the thread a little misleading? Passengers are reporting there was no Covid testing on their B2B on Discovery but Covid tests for back to back sailings are still required according to Princess FAQ last updated April 11, 2022? (found under "Before you sail")

Yes, back-to-back bookings will be available for vaccinated guests, subject to availability.

Guests on back-to-back voyages will need to disembark the ship at the end of each voyage and receive a complimentary viral COVID-19 test. They will be permitted to board the ship again once they receive a negative test result.

I guess "subject to availability" is the escape clause for b2b testing.

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

IMHO as we will be on a Med B3B on the Regal in July, we can only dream that this will be the case for our cruise as well. Talk about a stress reducer! We're also hoping the US will have eliminated the need for a negative Antigen test before being allowed to fly back to the US. I know, but one can at least hope. 🤞

As a b2b pax, it's a stress reducer, as a fresh pax coming on board, it's a stress inducer.  Like everything else, there are two sides of a coin.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ebeluga said:

Appears to be this ship's b2b protocol - no testing!  So only crew and self-reported pax with symptoms will be counted and reported to CDC.

We were tested between the 1st & 2nd cruises & don’t understand why as positive cases increased they stopped testing in-transit passengers. 🤔

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

We were tested between the 1st & 2nd cruises & don’t understand why as positive cases increased they stopped testing in-transit passengers. 🤔

So at what point does Princess get to make the decision, or any cruise line for that matter, to not test B2B cruisers, especially with most folks if they do by chance catch it onboard experience only minor cold symptoms, if that?

Edited by Ken the cruiser

41 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So at what point does Princess get to make the decision, or any cruise line for that matter, to not test B2B cruisers, especially with most folks if they do by chance catch it onboard experience only minor cold symptoms, if that?

What about at the same point that they would not care any fresh pax coming on board would be (+) and asymptomatic?  Just try to be logical with the line of thoughts, not necessarily endorsing the idea...

2 hours ago, ebeluga said:

I guess "subject to availability" is the escape clause for b2b testing.

The bookings are what are "subject to availability". back-to-back bookings will be available for vaccinated guests, subject to availability.  No mention that tests are not required or subject to availability.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NRWPA said:

The bookings are what are "subject to availability". back-to-back bookings will be available for vaccinated guests, subject to availability.  No mention that tests are not required or subject to availability.

So Discovery Princess is in violation of the cruise line's own policy??!!

5 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

So Discovery Princess is in violation of the cruise line's own policy??!!

Sounds like it. But I'm only saying that the title of this thread is misleading since other ships are testing between back to backs. When I first saw it, I thought possibly testing requirements fleet wide had changed. I was tested between my Christmas and New Year's cruises and expect to be again for my B2B2B on Caribbean Princess next month. Of course, everything is subject to change. 🙂

25 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

What about at the same point that they would not care any fresh pax coming on board would be (+) and asymptomatic?  Just try to be logical with the line of thoughts, not necessarily endorsing the idea...

IMHO, which is pretty much worthless, fully vaccinated and boosted passengers on B2B cruises, who also tested negative prior to boarding, have been cruising with other fully vaccinated, negatively tested passengers and crew for a period of time, whereas passengers boarding for the first time in all likelihood have been living in a more mixed environment, where being quarantined is very unlikely if someone exhibits cold-like symptoms. B2B passengers also have a further incentive to stay healthy as they want to complete their entire cruise.

But, again, we’re talking about B2B passengers who test positive who are either asymptomatic or have cold-like symptoms. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, NRWPA said:

Sounds like it. But I'm only saying that the title of this thread is misleading since other ships are testing between back to backs. When I first saw it, I thought possibly testing requirements fleet wide had changed. I was tested between my Christmas and New Year's cruises and expect to be again for my B2B2B on Caribbean Princess next month. Of course, everything is subject to change. 🙂

I thought that might be the direction Princess is going to take and Discovery being the first pilot-test to see if there are any push-backs or if Discovery is still sailing at full capacity, that means nobody minds the change!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

IMHO, which is pretty much worthless, fully vaccinated and boosted passengers on B2B cruises, who also tested negative prior to boarding, have been cruising with other fully vaccinated, negatively tested passengers and crew for a period of time, whereas passengers boarding for the first time in all likelihood have been living in a more mixed environment, where being quarantined is very unlikely if someone exhibits cold-like symptoms. B2B passengers also have a further incentive to stay healthy as they want to complete their entire cruise.

But, again, we’re talking about B2B passengers who test positive who are either asymptomatic or have cold-like symptoms. 

I dunno...two couples I met on my Christmas cruise were booted from the New Year's cruise or so it seems. They all had planned to do the b2b but never saw them again after covid test given on board last day of Christmas cruise. I was sorry I hadn't exchanged info but thought we'd all be sailing together again and would get it later.

37 minutes ago, NRWPA said:

I dunno...two couples I met on my Christmas cruise were booted from the New Year's cruise or so it seems. They all had planned to do the b2b but never saw them again after covid test given on board last day of Christmas cruise. I was sorry I hadn't exchanged info but thought we'd all be sailing together again and would get it later.

Then it sounds like Princess was doing the same thing as Celebrity back then. I wonder if anyone knows what Princess’ current policy is if a B2B cruiser tests positive prior to transition day, and I wonder if it’s any different if you’re sailing from a US port rather than a European port?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jemnibabe said:

Just got off a b2b2b2b on the Regal and we were tested on each segment.

Were you booked as b2b2b2b or as a 21 day cruise?  I have heard different requirements for testing depending which way you booked your cruise.  B2b2b2b I have heard have to disembark, test, then re-embark.  Whereas, I heard 21 day reservations don't make you leave the ship.  

26 minutes ago, sundaypeople5 said:

Were you booked as b2b2b2b or as a 21 day cruise?  I have heard different requirements for testing depending which way you booked your cruise.  B2b2b2b I have heard have to disembark, test, then re-embark.  Whereas, I heard 21 day reservations don't make you leave the ship.  

Booked as 3 segments, never left the ship for any and was tested at 3 segments