Updated Vaccation Policy

Edith1950

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

OK, I'm confused.  If I have to have an antigen test 2 days before, how do I get the certificate.

Right, so you upload a photo of your test result onto the website and get a certificate back.  Firstly anyone could take the test and say it was you.  Secondly, what on earth do elderly people do like my friend who is not online?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Right, so you upload a photo of your test result onto the website and get a certificate back.  Firstly anyone could take the test and say it was you.  Secondly, what on earth do elderly people do like my friend who is not online?

I think it will be similar to Princess requirements.  You have an observed LFT over a video call on your phone, this ID's you and you carry out the test.   These seem to be about £30 each.

add: I think these are FittoFly tests?

Edited by jaydee6969

my crusie goes on 21st May. i thought testing had been dropped so neber crossed my mind to organise a test before going. both of us are vaccinated/boosted - i thought this was enough these days!!? i've not had an email today from P&O - should i be expecting one?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, claiream3 said:

my crusie goes on 21st May. i thought testing had been dropped so neber crossed my mind to organise a test before going. both of us are vaccinated/boosted - i thought this was enough these days!!? i've not had an email today from P&O - should i be expecting one?

I have only had two emails out of 8 cruises booked.  A lot of emails to be sent out.  You should get one soon.

( 3 more have just come through)

4 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

I think it will be similar to Princess requirements.  You have an observed LFT over a video call on your phone, this ID's you and you carry out the test.   These seem to be about £30 each.

add: I think these are FittoFly tests?

How would she do a video test?  She doesn't have a mobile.  Lots of elderly people do not have them. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, leehal said:

You now have to have had a booster a maximum of 270 days before you cruise according to the latest email.

Although I admit that the wording could be clearer, the email actually says that if 270 days have elapsed between your second dose and the final day of your cruise, you must have a booster.

(the booster itself has no time limit whatsoever)

This is not good news for double-jabbed adults like myself who had booked to go on a cruise

in 2023 assuming that boarding rules would surely have been relaxed by then - do I cancel now

or hope that the rules are relaxed/abolished by the end of the year??

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pencil62 said:

We use Lloyds Pharmacy. They do the test inshore. Book on line, pay on the day, wait 20 minutes and they give you your negative certificate. Hopefully. 

Ah that sounds possible for someone without a mobile or internet.

10 minutes ago, leehal said:

You now have to have had a booster a maximum of 270 days before you cruise according to the latest email.

The current vaccination policy in the UK means that the majority of people will not have had boosters, certainly not before our next cruise in May 2023.

Unless P&O know something we don’t and further boosters are going to be offered to the under 75’s?

I don't read it as that for those who HAVE already had the 3rd shot (the booster) - Email says,

" Regardless of the date, if you have already had a booster vaccination then you are eligible to travel."

However the problem is no kids have had that 3rd shot (Booster) - so kids cannot travel once 270 days have passed since their 2nd shot.

• Like 3

Ok I’m confused. Though arguably that doesn’t take much at the mo! For our July Med cruise we got this email this afternoon: so we do have to be vaccinated etc (which is fine as we are and boosted, but friends coming with us are not quite in the same boat - well, figuratively!).

And of course ringing P and O for clarification is proving a challenge - as always! I think a wingless pigeon with no legs would be quicker and more reliable.

465B7BFE-3098-47DD-9745-AC794205EBE1.jpeg

Edited by Camberley

5 minutes ago, Pencil62 said:

We use Lloyds Pharmacy. They do the test inshore. Book on line, pay on the day, wait 20 minutes and they give you your negative certificate. Hopefully. 

Sorry, should have read instore. £29:99

10 minutes ago, leehal said:

The current vaccination policy in the UK means that the majority of people will not have had boosters, certainly not before our next cruise in May 2023.

Unless P&O know something we don’t and further boosters are going to be offered to the under 75’s?

So unless the Uk Govt allow us to have a fifth booster prior to our cruise next January what's the option?   Most people will be in this position.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cheshire said:

So unless the Uk Govt allow us to have a fifth booster prior to our cruise next January what's the option?   Most people will be in this position.

No because if you're over 16 the 3rd shot (booster) has been available to you since last year. Once you have that shot the 270 days doesn't apply anymore and you're good.

The problem DOES happen for kids 12-16 who cannot currently get that 3rd shot (booster) and WILL be over 270 days since their 2nd shot by the time they cruise.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Having said that, if all this is still the same by next January, I shall be cancelling and losing the deposit.  I just can't be doing with it all.

Jean I feel exactly the same, my hubby has just said not to stress about it, next year is a long way off. We are not sailing until Sept '23 but if these things are still in place my sailing days will be over.

• Like 2

Regarding Lateral Flow Test requirement, there is no stated requirement to have it witnessed/mentored.  You order the kit for delivery to home, do it yourself and upload a photo of the test result. The test company will then supply a travel certificate based on the photo shortly afterwards.

These tests are currently costing about £15.  If you cannot upload then I supose you will need to pay more to do the test at a test centre.

And the NHS ones are not accepted as they don't provide a suitable certificate and also why should the NHS pay for your holiday test.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Jean I feel exactly the same, my hubby has just said not to stress about it, next year is a long way off. We are not sailing until Sept '23 but if these things are still in place my sailing days will be over.

I thought it was just me!  The way I see it, I have saved between £12-£15 thousand quid not cruising, so hardly matters if I lose £198 deposit!   I have felt like this for quite a while.  A holiday is supposed to be enjoyed not worried about.  I think we may drive to the South of France like we used to or get the ferry to Spain.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Edith1950 said:

I have already received a email from CPS for my June cruise advising me that the Carnival drive through testing is closed. I haven't had a update as to whether tests will be carried out at the terminal.

That’s been shut since March 31st, I’m going this Friday (hopefully!) and we’ve got to test at the terminal instead.

I think it’s been posted now that you have to arrange your own testing from 29th April and bring proof. At least you’ll know you won’t be turned away at the port.

14 minutes ago, AlanCruise said:

Regarding Lateral Flow Test requirement, there is no stated requirement to have it witnessed/mentored.  You order the kit for delivery to home, do it yourself and upload a photo of the test result. The test company will then supply a travel certificate based on the photo shortly afterwards.

These tests are currently costing about £15.  If you cannot upload then I supose you will need to pay more to do the test at a test centre.

And the NHS ones are not accepted as they don't provide a suitable certificate and also why should the NHS pay for your holiday test.

P&O may be different of course but for Princess I was required to have a medically supervised test (in person or on line). They are both Carnival group and P&O now seem to be adopting the same procedures that Princess brought in on 31 March.

It would be strange if one requires the more expensive supervised test and not the other but then they do strange things at times.😀

There has been adverse comment on Princess about some of the High Street chemists letting people down at the last minute so carefully check the reviews for whoever you select (it seems to be different in different parts of the country with some being fine and others not).

1 hour ago, jaydee6969 said:

Testing at the terminal is stopping also from 29th April 2022.  You must arrange your own private antigen tests before sailing.  Extract from updated P&O web page.

Testing requirements from 29 April 2022 onwards:

Guests aged five to 11 years need to be fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior to travel or take a complimentary antigen test, showing a negative result, at the terminal.

All guests aged five years and over will also need to organise and pay for a private antigen test, showing a negative result, within two days prior to embarkation (NHS tests will not be accepted). You can order your antigen test kit online through our testing partner Prenetics or through any other government approved testing provider.

We’ll need you to show proof of your vaccination status and valid negative antigen test certificate at the ship’s terminal. Guests that are unable to do so will unfortunately be denied boarding.

P&O have updated their website already.  Now 24 hours before departure.

Screenshot 2022-04-12 172023.jpg

This all goes from bad to worse and just when you think it can’t get any worse it does! We have received several emails today about our cruises next year and were totally confused by them. I’ve now come on here and found that we are not alone!

Leaving aside testing for one moment, the confusion for us arose from the 270 day comment. We read this initially as you would have had to have received a booster within 270 days of the end of your holiday (as others above interpreted it). Obviously, as we all know, you cannot choose when you have a booster. If we get to the stage where all we have / need is a once a year seasonal booster (probably with the flu jab) then our cruises in 2023 will both be after 270 days have expired. If they mean (as it now appears) that once you have had the two course main jabs then, as long as you have had whatever booster was last provided, regardless of when that was, then that’s OK, even if over 270 days, then they need to state that in plain English and not in the convoluted way that they have. 

P&O and other cruise lines are very lucky that so many loyal customers are willing to jump through so many hoops and put up with all of these rules, regulations, requirements and stresses in order just to go on a cruise. Sadly, I fear that increasingly we are not amongst them. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

P&O have updated their website already.  Now 24 hours before departure.

Screenshot 2022-04-12 172023.jpg

That may well be because of Spain.  My understanding from my Celebrity cruise scheduled for June is that any cruise passing through Spain requires a test the day before departure. The Celebrity board is full of very confused passengers as a result.

I assume it's easier to just have a blanket 24 hour test. None of the cruise lines seem able to put anything in terms that are easily understood.  I've had this from Celebrity, P&O and NCL and understand Cunard's is imminent no doubt in the same terms.

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

That may well be because of Spain.  My understanding from my Celebrity cruise scheduled for June is that any cruise passing through Spain requires a test the day before departure. The Celebrity board is full of very confused passengers as a result.

I assume it's easier to just have a blanket 24 hour test. None of the cruise lines seem able to put anything in terms that are easily understood.  I've had this from Celebrity, P&O and NCL and understand Cunard's is imminent no doubt in the same terms.

It is most definitely confusing.  My Princess cruise calling into Spain states for an antigen test for boosted passengers 3 days before sailing.  Will be keeping an eye on all these differing testing regimes.