Holland website. Grrrrr.

quack2

Does anyone else experience the "spinning circle" at the top of the Holland webpage when you are trying to do things like book excursions?  It essentially locks up the site until it finally decides to go away.  I've been on for about 15 minutes and it's still there.  Very annoying.

Windows 11 and current version of Firefox.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, quack2 said:

Does anyone else experience the "spinning circle" at the top of the Holland webpage when you are trying to do things like book excursions?  It essentially locks up the site until it finally decides to go away.  I've been on for about 15 minutes and it's still there.  Very annoying.

Hello,

We have the same problem. On our older iPad the problem seems worse than on our newer iPad. It may be the site requires more updated software to work properly, just our observation.

Ron

I feel your pain; I call it the Blue Circle of Death.  

I finally switched to Chrome and was able to get into the site - I have no idea why Firefox stalls, and even Safari on my iPad couldn't get through.

Gremlins abound, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can join the club.  I'm never able to look for Flight Ease flights.  Both Chrome and Edge get the circle of death, forever!  😡  What are we going to do?  I hate calling cruise lines because I don't want to sit on the phone for 6 hours then be disconnected.  How about you?  Yeah, I thought so...

• Like 1

The circle of death happens on ipad and windows.  Even a very up todate windows.   I used a chome debugger once to look at what was happening.  The browser is doing a fetch underneath.   It looks like the fetch is sort of a gatekeeperor throttle onthe website.  If you get past it, you have pretty good response on future clicks in the session.   If it fails, the page load locks up.

I looked t the underlying http call and tried to fetch it directly and got a good looking page that said the site was unavailable and comeback later.  

I am guessing that fetch is designed to limit the number of users.  

A couple of tips besides the normal clear your cache, reset your modem. 
best browser for flight ease is Firefox.   To get through to flight ease dial in as soon as they open, not 30 seconds late.  I manage to,perfect my method after years of practice  dialing/refreshing browser to check in for Southwest airlines.

ipad users and iPhone: rapidly double click your home button.  This will show the multitude of apps and pages you have left open. Swipe up the pages to disappear them and close them.  This is the only way to truly quit an app in iOS.  This will enhance all of your iPad activity. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

Just now booked an excursion online from my desktop using Windows 10 and Firefox 99.0.1.

No wait time. Went straight through.

I just finally got to where I wanted by using a private browser.

On 4/14/2022 at 10:12 AM, quack2 said:

It only happens to me when I sign in my account on HAL site. If I don’t sign in, no problem.

I looked at the site in a debugger again.   This time a page fetch to a third party website is failing.   The browser is trying to download a version of a package called jquery  from code.jquery.com .   That sight is down and so Holland America is hosed.    Another package called Bootstrap will not function without jquery.    Why Holland america is downloading these packages from 3rd party websites is beyond me.   I would think the js package would come from HALS website even if the source is jquery.com.

I guarantee clearing cache at this point would not  solve this basic issue.

Edited by ScoutDiver

I installed Edge on my iPad and was able to get logged in and it seemed quite responsive. It did prompt me at one point that a pop-up was blocked, which turned out to be another HAL page in a new tab. Kind of stupid to not just open the page in the same tab, but that might be why Safari has never worked well for me. 

They still don’t have my points updated from my cruise in mid-March. 🙄

On 4/17/2022 at 12:27 AM, Rygar said:

It only happens to me when I sign in my account on HAL site. If I don’t sign in, no problem.

I have noticed that as well...problem lies in wanting to manage a booking....grrr. 

I had no problem getting on the shore excursion site, but when it came to check out & pay it would not let me in. Phoned HAL, no waiting got them booked & paid for, that was last week. Yesterday I was on hold for close to 45 min and then told too many on hold and was hang up on. 

Still unable to get past the circle of death on the HAL website when trying to look for flights. Neither Chrome nor Edge works on my laptop.  In desperation I tried getting there on the Navigator app and was able to search on Flight Ease!  I looked at some one way flights to my cruise, but can't look for end of cruise flights until tomorrow when that date is released.  Just thought I'd put out that idea for those trying to look for shore excurstions or flights.  I know it's much less convenient, but we're getting pretty desperate aren't we?