Panama Canal Excursion Question

LGW59

Doing a PC/S. Caribbean cruise in Nov 2022, first time.  They have an excursion in the planner, Wonders of Engineering: PC Locks & Culebra Cut Cruise, which is 8 hours long.  Wondering if anyone has done this tour or something similar, if so what were your impressions/thoughts, did you feel it worth it for the 8 hours?  One of the notes in the description said be prepared for an extended wait for the PC ferry pilot to arrive and we apologize in advance for any extended wait time, hmmm.  Part of me thinks well I just spent a day going thru the Canal so there is that, other part wonders if this type of tour/cruise is more up close and personal.  TIA

We did the canal in 2011 on a cruise from Florida to Chile.   If you are doing a full transit of the canal, not sure what this excursion will do for you?  We did an excursion that was less extensive and focused on wildlife.

I strongly suggest that you read David McCullough's book "The Path Between the Seas."   It lays out the history of the building of the canal starting from the failed French effort.  it will help you understand all the  engineering challenges that were involved.  The Culebra Cut was the area where the natural elevation on the path of the canal was the highest.   Much excavation was involved and even after the canal was open, extensive rain caused a huge mud slide that resulted in closing of the canal.

Of course, a few years ago new locks were constructed allowing larger ships to transit the canal.  Do you know if your ship will use those or the original locks?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Doing a PC/S. Caribbean cruise in Nov 2022, first time.  They have an excursion in the planner, Wonders of Engineering: PC Locks & Culebra Cut Cruise, which is 8 hours long.  Wondering if anyone has done this tour or something similar, if so what were your impressions/thoughts, did you feel it worth it for the 8 hours?  One of the notes in the description said be prepared for an extended wait for the PC ferry pilot to arrive and we apologize in advance for any extended wait time, hmmm.  Part of me thinks well I just spent a day going thru the Canal so there is that, other part wonders if this type of tour/cruise is more up close and personal.  TIA

I think your cruise is a partial canal transit if it is the one on EDGE.  However I think this particular excursion takes you by ferry through most of the canal and back and you would get the experience of canal transit up close.  Not sure if it goes through the old vs. new locks (or both).  Transiting the old locks (we did on Infinity) is very historical and quite the experience.  If you just want to see the locks (operations) there are shorter excursions based in Colon that are land based.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I think your cruise is a partial canal transit if it is the one on EDGE.  However I think this particular excursion takes you by ferry through most of the canal and back and you would get the experience of canal transit up close.  Not sure if it goes through the old vs. new locks (or both).  Transiting the old locks (we did on Infinity) is very historical and quite the experience.  If you just want to see the locks (operations) there are shorter excursions based in Colon that are land based.

@4774Papa and @TeeRick thanks for the suggestions.  I do believe it is a partial transit.  But I’m confused by what it says in my planner:

Day 8 - Panama Canal ( cruising)

Day 8 - Colon, Panama 5pm - 9pm (docked)

not sure how there can be an 8 hour ferry tour based on the above?  I’m sure I’m misunderstanding something AKA operator error!  I’m sure I will figure it out and again thanks for the suggestions.  Also, David McCullough is my favorite author who I had the pleasure of meeting in D.C. several years ago at a book signing when he released Adams.  It was in the National Archives building which really added to the theme.

Many of your questions can be answered on the Panama Canal board here, under Ports of Call.  As to your cruise, a partial transit:  your ship will lock up through the old or new locks, depending on which ship.  In Gatun lake, those taking excursions will tender shore to the Gatun Yacht Club pier where you will board a bus to where your excursion departs.  After all guests on excursions have gone ashore, the ship will linger in Gatun Lake under her time to lock back down and sail to Colon, where she will dock to gather up the guests returning from tours.  There will not be any tours departing from Colon.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Many of your questions can be answered on the Panama Canal board here, under Ports of Call.  As to your cruise, a partial transit:  your ship will lock up through the old or new locks, depending on which ship.  In Gatun lake, those taking excursions will tender shore to the Gatun Yacht Club pier where you will board a bus to where your excursion departs.  After all guests on excursions have gone ashore, the ship will linger in Gatun Lake under her time to lock back down and sail to Colon, where she will dock to gather up the guests returning from tours.  There will not be any tours departing from Colon.  EM

We are on the EDGE.  This is great information and very helpful, much appreciated!  I’m leaning towards the 8 hours time seems like it will be well spent.  Time to do more research, thanks again.

5 hours ago, LGW59 said:

@4774Papa and @TeeRick thanks for the suggestions.  I do believe it is a partial transit.  But I’m confused by what it says in my planner:

Day 8 - Panama Canal ( cruising)

Day 8 - Colon, Panama 5pm - 9pm (docked)

not sure how there can be an 8 hour ferry tour based on the above?  I’m sure I’m misunderstanding something AKA operator error!  I’m sure I will figure it out and again thanks for the suggestions.  Also, David McCullough is my favorite author who I had the pleasure of meeting in D.C. several years ago at a book signing when he released Adams.  It was in the National Archives building which really added to the theme.

If your cruise is a partial transit, then I would advise you to take the excursion.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since our OP is on the Edge this is a partial transit.  While I realize some folks have issues with time off from work and so forth, as someone who has done six full PC transits I think the partial transits don't offer the full experience.  The canal looks so different as a ship passes through.  There is so much more to see than just going through one lock and floating in Gatun Lake before returning to the Caribbean.  Definitely take the excursion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A lot will depend upon the commentary provided regarding the "Wonders of Engineering" both before and during your excursion. 

We were EXTRAORDINARILY lucky to have David McCullough behind the podium for either 3 or 4 SRO lectures in the theater aboard before our arrival in Panama on our first transit, each on a different aspect of the pre-history, politics, funding, medical advancements and building of the canal.  So by the time we got there, we were well and truly prepped to appreciate what we were seeing.

Not knowing whether or not you'll have a well versed and communicative guide or pre-arrival lecturer for your visit, I'd recommend first reading The Path Between the Seas, which is the definitive work on the Panama Canal.  (Note:  It was written before the new locks were completed, but were fully anticipated).  THEN, yes, absolutely sign up for the long tour with the assurance that no matter the quality of the guide, it will all make sense to you and come alive during your physical visit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, canderson said:

We were EXTRAORDINARILY lucky to have David McCullough behind the podium for either 3 or 4 SRO lectures in the theater aboard before our arrival in Panama on our first transit, each on a different aspect of the pre-history, politics, funding, medical advancements and building of the canal.  So by the time we got there, we were well and truly prepped to appreciate what we were seeing.

This was probably amazing!  Did he provide commentary during the transit too?  How lucky!

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

This was probably amazing!  Did he provide commentary during the transit too?  How lucky!

It certainly was.  Best onboard lectures ever, and certainly best 'port lecture'.  No PA during the transits, but really none needed.  We were ready!

It was a pretty full 14 or 15 nighter, and IIRC, the theaters on M class are designed to handle about only 50% of ship capacity.  Once word got around after the first lecture, it was a challenge for security to manage the crowds.  They brought in extra chairs for the nooks and crannies, and overlooked a few sitting on the stairs which is usually a major no-no.

The story (stories, actually) behind the Canal is truly amazing, and understanding what transpired before arriving makes the actual visit 100 times more interesting.

Definitely recommend McCullough book.

1 minute ago, canderson said:

It certainly was.  Best onboard lectures ever, and certainly best 'port lecture'.  No PA during the transits, but really none needed.  We were ready!

It was a pretty full 14 or 15 nighter, and IIRC, the theaters on M class are designed to handle about only 50% of ship capacity.  Once word got around after the first lecture, it was a challenge for security to manage the crowds.  They brought in extra chairs for the nooks and crannies, and overlooked a few sitting on the stairs which is usually a major no-no.

The story (stories, actually) behind the Canal is truly amazing, and understanding what transpired before arriving makes the actual visit 100 times more interesting.

Yes I read it before our PC full transit on Infinity.  Recently I read the McCullough book The Pioneers about settling the upper midwest region of the US.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

I ordered it from Amazon last night and I booked the 8 hour excursion 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I ordered it from Amazon last night and I booked the 8 hour excursion 

Hope you really enjoy both.

As a crazy aside, THESE things (the lock doors for the new locks) were transported VERTICALLY aboard ships from Italy to Panama.  How the heck they didn't capsize in the first strong crosswind is an engineering story I'd like to hear.

192 ft x 114 ft giant metal 'sails'???

https://www.sarens.com/about/projects/new-lock-doors-for-panama-canal.htm

In 2019, we sailed on an MSC cruise that was a partial transit.  We were transported from the ship in Lake Gatun and took a ferry through the canal, eventually entering the Pacific Ocean for a brief period of time before disemarking in Panama City and taking a bus back to Colon to meet the ship.  The entire excursion lasted about 8 hours and sounds somewhat similar to the one you are considering.  Frankly, going through the first lock on the small ferry boat was quite interesting since we were viewing it "up close" in a way you cannot from the deck of a cruise ship.  However - and it's a big "however" - our entire party of 8 people found the rest of the day to be excruciatingly tedious.  There was a wait to enter each lock along the way, a wait for each lock to fill/empty, and not all that much to see as we slowly cruised along.  After that first lock, most of our party spent the rest of the day sitting at a table on the ferry boat drinking Panama Beer and snacking...and giving me a hard time because I was the one who'd suggested the excursion.  I put it in the same category as spending New Years Eve in Times Square.  Glad I did it once for the experience but wouldn't do it again!  With all that said, however, if you are absolutely fascinated by the canal technology and a patient person, it might be worthwhile.  Otherwise, if your cruise ship is actually sailing the entire length of the canal, you might want to consider a different excursion or simply staying aboard....perhaps viewing things from the lowest deck with an outside walkway.  Just my take. Others may have had a different experience.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Hope you really enjoy both.

As a crazy aside, THESE things (the lock doors for the new locks) were transported VERTICALLY aboard ships from Italy to Panama.  How the heck they didn't capsize in the first strong crosswind is an engineering story I'd like to hear.

192 ft x 114 ft giant metal 'sails'???

https://www.sarens.com/about/projects/new-lock-doors-for-panama-canal.htm

Lots of amazing engineering feats with the building of the old locks and the new locks!

We went on Infinity through the old locks.  The new locks did not open for another two months after our cruise although we visited them on an excursion.  I am so glad to have the experience going through the old locks.  Infinity just barely fit length-wise and it was very cool seeing how very little clearance there was for the ship's beam.  And we held our breadth going under the Bridge of the Americas on the Pacific side.

3 minutes ago, Bluewake said:

In 2019, we sailed on an MSC cruise that was a partial transit.  We were transported from the ship in Lake Gatun and took a ferry through the canal, eventually entering the Pacific Ocean for a brief period of time before disemarking in Panama City and taking a bus back to Colon to meet the ship.  The entire excursion lasted about 8 hours and sounds somewhat similar to the one you are considering.  Frankly, going through the first lock on the small ferry boat was quite interesting since we were viewing it "up close" in a way you cannot from the deck of a cruise ship.  However - and it's a big "however" - our entire party of 8 people found the rest of the day to be excruciatingly tedious.  There was a wait to enter each lock along the way, a wait for each lock to fill/empty, and not all that much to see as we slowly cruised along.  After that first lock, most of our party spent the rest of the day sitting at a table on the ferry boat drinking Panama Beer and snacking...and giving me a hard time because I was the one who'd suggested the excursion.  I put it in the same category as spending New Years Eve in Times Square.  Glad I did it once for the experience but wouldn't do it again!  With all that said, however, if you are absolutely fascinated by the canal technology and a patient person, it might be worthwhile.  Otherwise, if your cruise ship is actually sailing the entire length of the canal, you might want to consider a different excursion or simply staying aboard....perhaps viewing things from the lowest deck with an outside walkway.  Just my take. Others may have had a different experience.

We went in April.  It was incredibly hot and humid which is normal there.  This is another thing to consider.  When we transited on Infinity, we could run inside for awhile and get cooled off.  The 8 hr ferry trip might be a very difficult experience if it does not have AC.

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2022 at 7:17 PM, LGW59 said:

We did the full transit on the Millennium last fall and I would probably pass on the excursion.  After sailing through the canal the Millennium spend the day in Colon and we took some sort of "engineering tour" where we were bused back to the visitor center on the Pacific side and eventually bused back to the visitor center on the Atlantic side.  The bus ride was tedious and nothing really to enjoy.  The visitor center on the Pacific side was dated and not worth the ride.  However the visitor center on the Atlantic side by the new locks was interesting. I also don't think the ferry ride would be very interesting, there really isn't much between the locks.  If you do the partial transit, you'll see how the locks work and if you could find a tour of the new visitor center that would be good.  Colon is a city with a lot of problems and I wouldn't leave the cruise terminal unless it was on a tour.  The city appears to have deteriorating ever since the US handed over control of the canal to Panama and it is very sad to see.

On partial transit cruises you go in from the Atlantic side at around 5 am and then anchor in Gatun Lake.  Most cruise lines have excursions leaving from there.  Tender stop.  Then the ship goes back down and docks in Colon.  Used to be a great local market there but last time just had a few standard port shops.

The ferry tour goes the rest of the way through the canal.  Small boat, you can touch the sides of the locks as you go.  Then they bus you back to where the ship is docked.  If you like lock operations, this is a great tour.  If not, don't take it.  Tour will be hot, possibly rainy.  You can talk to the canal pilot and there will be a guide describing the scenery.  Ask the pilot about the dent in the Miraflores Lock. 

Typically these tours use the old locks, so if your ship is larger you would get to see mule operation and swinging gates that you won't see from larger ships.  New locks use tugs and sliding (actually floating) gates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

We did the full transit on the Millennium last fall and I would probably pass on the excursion.  After sailing through the canal the Millennium spend the day in Colon and we took some sort of "engineering tour" where we were bused back to the visitor center on the Pacific side and eventually bused back to the visitor center on the Atlantic side.  The bus ride was tedious and nothing really to enjoy.  The visitor center on the Pacific side was dated and not worth the ride.  However the visitor center on the Atlantic side by the new locks was interesting. I also don't think the ferry ride would be very interesting, there really isn't much between the locks.  If you do the partial transit, you'll see how the locks work and if you could find a tour of the new visitor center that would be good.  Colon is a city with a lot of problems and I wouldn't leave the cruise terminal unless it was on a tour.  The city appears to have deteriorating ever since the US handed over control of the canal to Panama and it is very sad to see.

You would pass on the excursion because you have already experienced the old locks.  But the OP will be going through the new locks, a totally different experience.  To see the difference, visit the pancanal.com website, choose multimedia, and go through webcams.  EM

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

You would pass on the excursion because you have already experienced the old locks.  But the OP will be going through the new locks, a totally different experience.  To see the difference, visit the pancanal.com website, choose multimedia, and go through webcams.  EM

No, I would pass on this excursion because most of the time would be spent on a tedious bus trip and a long uneventful ferry ride.  I have seen and understand the difference.  Sure there's a difference in how the ships go through the locks but the experience would not be worth the cost.

Lots of interesting info/perspectives on this, that's a good thing, but you all just made my homework more difficult!  Seriously, really appreciate all of your feedback here!  Once I read McCullough's book I am sure that will help.

• 7 months later...

Hi.  When you left the ship in Lake Gatun, how long was it before you boarded the ferry/boat for the rest of the transport?  Did you go all the way to the Pacific? Panama City?  And how long was the bus ride back to Colon?  Was the bus comfortable? Thanks!!!

4 minutes ago, njguy_south said:

Hi.  When you left the ship in Lake Gatun, how long was it before you boarded the ferry/boat for the rest of the transport?  Did you go all the way to the Pacific? Panama City?  And how long was the bus ride back to Colon?  Was the bus comfortable? Thanks!!!

Lots of discussion in ports. A bus ride across Panama is about 2 hours.  We found it very long.  This thread describes the visitor centers well, but thread is 7 months old.