Changing to a cheaper cruise

Presto2

Sorry if this has been asked but we can't find the most up to date info and our TA seems to  be dragging their feet trying to find the answer.

We are going to either cancel or move a cruise we had booked. We booked Nov 2020. We are wondering if they will let us move to a cheaper cruise or if we will we be expected to move to one of similar price or more expensive. If it is latter we will cancel as we don't want to be tied to an expensive cruise we don't want just for the sake of moving it..... if that makes sense.

Thanks for any help

13 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Yes, you can change anyhow you like.  You could go for a 3-nighter, or you could change from a suite to an inside

Its fairly clear on the website - probably under Book With Confidence or some such.  

Thanks the one we have seen says not so may be in an out of date version. 

Have just has a good look and found it under their new flexible transfer policy.  

You are right  . Thank you

Edited by Presto2

11 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Yes, you can change anyhow you like.  You could go for a 3-nighter, or you could change from a suite to an inside

Its fairly clear on the website - probably under Book With Confidence or some such.  

This has been mentioned by a few posters, and the current situation is that you change to any cruise currently on sale without any transfer fee.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

This has been mentioned by a few posters, and the current situation is that you change to any cruise currently on sale without any transfer fee.

Thanks.. just found it. Had been looking in the wrong place. To be honest seems too good to be true ..... having said that not sure we have seen one we like. 

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I think that is only for cruises departing in 2022 though, am I correct with that?

5 minutes ago, tring said:

I think that is only for cruises departing in 2022 though, am I correct with that?

At the moment any cruise. We moved a cruise to 2023 as a hold then moved it to 2024 when the new cruises came out a few weeks ago. They were all saver cruises. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Thanks the one we have seen says not so may be in an out of date version. 

Have just has a good look and found it under their new flexible transfer policy.  

You are right  . Thank you

There isn't an out of date version of the free flexible transfer policy. I took a note of all the details - move to any cruise, any price, any date, any length etc. in the very early days of the pandemic - when P&O were dragging their heels over "extending their pause" and insisting that I either moved my booking or paid the full balance on a long cruise that had no earthly chance of sailing later in 2020. And their free flexible transfer policy was exactly the same then as it is now nearly 2 years later.

14 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

I wonder, can you transfer to a cruise that you are already booked on if the price has dropped to lower than you paid.

No, you would have either cancel, lose your deposit, and rebook at the lower price,   or move your booking to a new cruise, and then move that new booking back to the original cruise. 

23 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No, you would have either cancel, lose your deposit, and rebook at the lower price,   or move your booking to a new cruise, and then move that new booking back to the original cruise. 

That's what I thought, just wondered if anyone else had tried it,.

8 hours ago, Valfan said:

There isn't an out of date version of the free flexible transfer policy. I took a note of all the details - move to any cruise, any price, any date, any length etc. in the very early days of the pandemic - when P&O were dragging their heels over "extending their pause" and insisting that I either moved my booking or paid the full balance on a long cruise that had no earthly chance of sailing later in 2020. And their free flexible transfer policy was exactly the same then as it is now nearly 2 years later.

Well I read something on the Internet when I googled. My comprehension skills are quite good ....... obviously better than my skills when searching :-)  i probably got the one before March 2020 and didn't realise.

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

We have an Azura 2023 cruise that we no longer want.

Booked at launch,  so a great price.   

We will try and sell our booking, so as not to lose our deposit. 

Alternatively you could transfer your deposit to new cruise if there is one you fancy. 

We were due to go on the February cruise to the Caribbean, Mexico and from New Orleans up to Port Canaveral. Due to an itinerary change cutting out the US ports completely we changed to the same cruise for 2023. We already had a cruise booked on Iona sailing roughly the same time so we switched that to later in the year. 

I've changed both my Caribbean cruises for 23 and 24, mainly because of the cost of  World Wide Insurance, which now I am 75+ is crazy. Been many times so it's Europe from now on.

Reading that back I didn't mean to sound boastful and know I am very lucky to be able to do when many are struggling.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I've changed both my Caribbean cruises for 23 and 24, mainly because of the cost of  World Wide Insurance, which now I am 75+ is crazy. Been many times so it's Europe from now on.

Reading that back I didn't mean to sound boastful and know I am very lucky to be able to do when many are struggling.

When my Mum hit 80, her travels were curtailed by the cost of travel insurance.  But she managed to do quite a few land holidays with Saga, who included travel insurance in the cost of their fares.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

We have an Azura 2023 cruise that we no longer want.

Booked at launch,  so a great price.   

We will try and sell our booking, so as not to lose our deposit. 

Wowzz, have you considered moving the booking to one on Princess, this movement to other Carnival UK brands  used to be possible pre covid.

39 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Wowzz, have you considered moving the booking to one on Princess, this movement to other Carnival UK brands  used to be possible pre covid.

I certainly would consider it,  but I am 99% certain it can't be done.

20 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

At the moment any cruise. We moved a cruise to 2023 as a hold then moved it to 2024 when the new cruises came out a few weeks ago. They were all saver cruises. 

In July 2021 we have booked and paid a deposit for a Jan 2023 cruise. My understanding is that this is currently covered by the original rules (not the current flexible rules which run for 2022) and for our cruise you can only move it once and to a higher price cruise that is no later than 12 months of the original (6 if it is a world type cruise). 

I believe that we have up until we pay the balance to decide whether to make that 1 move without incurring a loss of deposit but cannot find that nugget of information.

We want to leave it until late summer to give the chance of the cruise to go ahead with "near normal conditions" but would love the find the official date that we can leave it before making that decision if someone could point us in the right direction!

9 minutes ago, BouncingWheel said:

In July 2021 we have booked and paid a deposit for a Jan 2023 cruise. My understanding is that this is currently covered by the original rules (not the current flexible rules which run for 2022) and for our cruise you can only move it once and to a higher price cruise that is no later than 12 months of the original (6 if it is a world type cruise). 

I believe that we have up until we pay the balance to decide whether to make that 1 move without incurring a loss of deposit but cannot find that nugget of information.

We want to leave it until late summer to give the chance of the cruise to go ahead with "near normal conditions" but would love the find the official date that we can leave it before making that decision if someone could point us in the right direction!

https://www.pocruises.com/travel-health-advisories/flexible-cancellation-policy

6 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

That just covers 2022 not my 2023 cruise.

All bookings still scheduled to depart in 2022

Updated 30 September 2021

Transferring your booking

If your holiday is unaffected by our latest pause but you would like to reschedule, you can take advantage of our free flexible transfer policy up to the date the balance for your holiday is due. This means that if you have a Select Price or Early Saver booking you can:

• Transfer your booking to any P&O Cruises holiday currently on sale (and not just to those within the next 12 months).
  • Transfer your booking to a cruise of higher or lower value (and not just of a higher value, as is usually the case).
  • Transfer your booking an unlimited number of times (and not just once).
  • Transfer your booking free of charge.

I think this is the part in force with 2023 sailings but it does not mention the free transfer bit only once rule as that is elsewhere so I am guessing I have to join the 2 bits of info together and I have up to 91 days before the cruise for my allowable, higher price free transfer?

The 2022 flexible rules could always be extended again of course but I don't want to bank on that

P&O Cruises Select Price and Early Saver:

Period before departure within which written notice of cancellation is received by P&O Cruises Cancellation charges (percentage of price)
From the date of booking until 91 days before departure Deposit
90 to 57 days  50%
56 to 42 days  60%
41 to 16 days 75%
15 to 6 days 90%
Less than 6 days before departure or failure to embark. For fly-cruises, departure day is the date of the flight departure. 100%

Edited by BouncingWheel

8 minutes ago, BouncingWheel said:

That just covers 2022 not my 2023 cruise.

All bookings still scheduled to depart in 2022

Updated 30 September 2021

Transferring your booking

If your holiday is unaffected by our latest pause but you would like to reschedule, you can take advantage of our free flexible transfer policy up to the date the balance for your holiday is due. This means that if you have a Select Price or Early Saver booking you can:

• Transfer your booking to any P&O Cruises holiday currently on sale (and not just to those within the next 12 months).
  • Transfer your booking to a cruise of higher or lower value (and not just of a higher value, as is usually the case).
  • Transfer your booking an unlimited number of times (and not just once).
  • Transfer your booking free of charge.

P&O could change this rule at any time and revert back to the original select booking rule. All I know is that we moved our Jan 22: 35 night Caribbean cruise to a 14 night March 2023 Canaries cruise (this was the last cruise from the current brochure), we then moved that to a 19 night Canaries cruise in 2024. Our TA  never queried either change and did it there and then on the phone.