Disembarking in Brooklyn - QM2

klgt1891

Does anyone know what time guests can disembark on arrival in Brooklyn from Southampton on QM2? I am in a balcony stateroom on level 8, in case it matters. I am travelling on the 24th crossing and would like to book an onward train journey to Boston. I am also wondering if anyone knows where I could find out how much Cunard charges for a car transfer to Boston from New York (if they offer this - I know they offer onward transfers to nearby cities in the UK). Thank you 🙂

Edited by klgt1891

On several QM2 T/A's we were a bit late in arriving - and found that the earliest debarkation (unassisted - carry your own bags) which could be counted on was between 9:00 and 9:30 AM - meaning that catching any train from Penn Station (easily an hour away) much before 11:00 AM was speculative - better to think of noon.  Regardless of what Cunard might charge for a car transfer to Boston, it would be a horrible idea,  Aside from the cost - which would be certain to greatly exceed any Amtrak fare - the train ride would be far more comfortable - and quite likely quicker.

Boston is not what one would likely refer to as "nearby" to Brooklyn.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, klgt1891 said:

Does anyone know what time guests can disembark on arrival in Brooklyn from Southampton on QM2? I am in a balcony stateroom on level 8, in case it matters. I am travelling on the 24th crossing and would like to book an onward train journey to Boston. I am also wondering if anyone knows where I could find out how much Cunard charges for a car transfer to Boston from New York (if they offer this - I know they offer onward transfers to nearby cities in the UK). Thank you 🙂

We got off at like 7 or 7.15am back in 2019 I seem to recall we did the self dismebark. It like a 4 or 5 hour train journey from Penn Station I think on Amtrak.

• Like 1

There is never any guarantee of any time of arrival as things can always go wrong and make the arrival late. But on our last roundtrip TA we got off for a day in New York with the self disembarkers and we caught the New York ferry and was in Wall Street for 7-30am.

• Like 1

I self-disembark and usually book a noon-ish train from NY. Even though self-disembarking, I'm not in the queue at sunrise! As I recall, based on when I actually get to Penn Station I probably could have booked an earlier train each time. But I'd rather not have the agita. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that I have access to Amtrak's Metropolitan Lounge, so that makes waiting at the station much more pleasant. Especially in the new lounge. In fact, if you had a wait of several hours, it might almost pay to buy a day-pass to the lounge.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 7:05 PM, klgt1891 said:

As I live in the Boston area and always travel by train, I book the 2 pm regional out of Penn Station. Cunard usually offers a bus from Red Hook to Penn Station either gratis or for very low money. Other wise the pre-covid fare by taxi generally runs less than $50. Most taxis will try to charge you a flat $50 but refuse the offer and demand they drop the meter. Private cars can run about 20% more but need to be reserved.

Peter pan bus offers an inexpense alternative to the train from Boston if you can stand that much bus at one time. However, the bus puts you into the Port Authority bus terminal further up town. I have no idea what the taxis are from there and I would in today's climate in NYC never get near a subway. There are Ukrainian cities  under Ukrainian control that are safer than NYC is right now.

A private car from Boston to The pier could be close to the cost of your Cunard cruise  fare as the driver has to return back to Boston empty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frankp01 said:

I self-disembark and usually book a noon-ish train from NY. Even though self-disembarking, I'm not in the queue at sunrise! As I recall, based on when I actually get to Penn Station I probably could have booked an earlier train each time. But I'd rather not have the agita. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that I have access to Amtrak's Metropolitan Lounge, so that makes waiting at the station much more pleasant. Especially in the new lounge. In fact, if you had a wait of several hours, it might almost pay to buy a day-pass to the lounge.

Fully agree on the lounge in Penn Station. If you book Acela or Business class  fare it is available at no charge. Other wise there is a fee. That said, it can be well worth it if you have more than one piece of luggage as the  redcaps are very alert for lounge passengers and will arrive 15 - 20 minutes before everyone else queues for the train. This assures that you get a decent seat by a window if that is what you want. Heading to Boston ride window seat on the right hand of the car as you get decent views of the shore line all the way up the coast.

Also once in the lounge they have an outstanding snack center that is free. small delicious hot sandwiches, pastries and coffee, tea and soft drinks, Adult beverages are extra but they have them.

• Like 1

As Lakes Region wrote, a private car to Boston would be ridiculously expensive.  Cunard does book private cars but they are only to airports or somewhere in the immediate New York region.  You might consider flying to Boston, unless you love train travel.  Look into the train schedule to Boston to see if the timing works for you.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 7:32 PM, Lakesregion said:

Fully agree on the lounge in Penn Station. If you book Acela or Business class  fare it is available at no charge. Other wise there is a fee. That said, it can be well worth it if you have more than one piece of luggage as the  redcaps are very alert for lounge passengers and will arrive 15 - 20 minutes before everyone else queues for the train. This assures that you get a decent seat by a window if that is what you want. Heading to Boston ride window seat on the right hand of the car as you get decent views of the shore line all the way up the coast.

Also once in the lounge they have an outstanding snack center that is free. small delicious hot sandwiches, pastries and coffee, tea and soft drinks, Adult beverages are extra but they have them.

The lounge in NY is not open to business class, just Acela first class and sleeping car passengers. It's also open to high-level Guest Rewards members. Otherwise, you have to buy a pass.

• Like 1

We've done 7 crossings and always self disembarked. We were at Penn station before 8.30 by taxi (for a midday train that was delayed for 6+ hours 😞 ) and have made the 8am megabus ,with a town car transfer, on 34th St  on a few of occasions (worth checking out - it goes to Boston too) though I never dare book it just in case so always have to see if theres space on the day & wait for our booked slot if not. We head south to Baltimore and then friends collect us. We do one way car hire now as it gives us more flexibility at our destination & saves friends ferrying us to airport etc

• Like 1

On our first cruise we took the Acela from Boston to NYC. I lost my lunch before we got to New Haven! I never get seasick but that train did me in. I have ridden trains in the UK and Europe with no problem. So now we take the bus.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of your advice and tips! Have booked a 10am train out of Penn station to Boston; we will self-disembark so hopefully we will make it, based on your experience @wenlyn. If not, keeping Peter Pan bus in my back pocket as plan b 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...

We signed up for Fast Track disembarkation this past May 1 with a 7:15 to 7:30 window and actually left the boat at 7:00 am (second off I believe).  In a taxi and heading to LGA by 7:15.   Easy process, just make sure you pre-register for the fast track program.  There were no announcements, you just go down at your assigned time (or a bit early if you're in the first group).  

3 hours ago, chatdad said:

We signed up for Fast Track disembarkation this past May 1 with a 7:15 to 7:30 window and actually left the boat at 7:00 am (second off I believe).  In a taxi and heading to LGA by 7:15.   Easy process, just make sure you pre-register for the fast track program.  There were no announcements, you just go down at your assigned time (or a bit early if you're in the first group).  

Thanks chatdad. Do you sign up on board at the pursers desk?

Jack

I live around the corner from the Empire State Bldg. -  please take the whoo-ha about NYC crime with bit of salt- not a large bit bit a bit-grab a yellow cab and youll be fine. NOTE, cab fares have gone up sharply. You might want to book a car to be sure of the cost - which will be somewhat more expensive. I use Call 7-

212 777 7777; Call7.com. I find them very reliable. If you arrive on a Sunday morning the traffic will be easy-peasey.😉