Seafood in May

Razor_Poke

I believe that Alaska is known for crab, halibut and salmon. Given the 4 ports of Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait or Ketchikan and I could only choose one port / seafood combination, what would you recommend?  I have heard that in May, you’ll only get frozen crab and that crab in the lower 48 can is probably just as good. 

While the crab may be frozen, it will still taste amazing.  Remember that the ambiance of where you dining (in Alaska) will be forever imprinted in your memory.

Savor the dining experience, and don't get lost in the minutiae of frozen v. fresh.

• Like 3

I wouldn't be worrying about comparing West Coast Dungeness crab (the crab you might get fresh on the West Coast and Alaska in May). The West Coast season is normally winding down in May, and is actually being closed in April this year. I think it starts in late June in Alaska.

• Like 2

I was spoiled having fresh King Crab when I lived in Alaska decades ago. Yes, the frozen king crab is the same in Alaska as the Costco back home, but Alaskans sell enough of it to the tourists that they do well plus the environment is a plus. (I miss eating at Tracy's original shack, sitting at a picnic table in the rain eating crab. An authentic Juneau experience.)

I'll be cruising Alaska again next month and, as usual, stick to a strict diet of halibut and salmon. You can find it everywhere. It's fresh, wild, and reasonably priced. I can't wait!

• Like 4

I’m not a big seafood fan but my SO loves it. She was pleased to see the new offering from Princess. “Wild for Alaska Seafood”.

https://www.princess.com/news/news_releases/2022/03/princess-cruises-goes-wild-for-alaska-seafood-with-new-menus-and-events-debuting-spring-2022.html

We were cruising in the Caribbean many years ago when they had “Fresh Alaskan Halibut” on the menu. I always thought fresh meant never frozen. Not the case. Found out that it can be termed that even if frozen for up to 6 months, in some cases.

I don’t think most people can tell the difference between quickly frozen and fresh seafood, particularly crab.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Razor_Poke said:

Given the 4 ports of Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait or Ketchikan and I could only choose one port / seafood combination, what would you recommend?

Juneau with a visit to the Alaska Fish $ Chips Company and ordering their Halibut and Chips.  The best halibut that I have ever eaten.  My beverage was an Alaskan Amber Beer.  

15 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Remember that the ambiance of where you dining (in Alaska) will be forever imprinted in your memory.

Savor the dining experience, and don't get lost in the minutiae of frozen v. fresh.

Totally agree with Ferry_Watcher!  

At the restaurant I mentioned, you will overlook the first cruise ship dock and watch seaplanes take off and land from their base just below where you are dining.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Glaciers said:

I don’t think most people can tell the difference between quickly frozen and fresh seafood, particularly crab.

While I think halibut freezes well I am somewhat of a "salmon snob" and think that frozen salmon has a different texture than fresh.  It is subtle, but slightly different.

• Like 1