Cruise Decision: Horizon vs Vista

JP350

I'm trying to book a weeklong Western Caribbean cruise during the summer months and the best cruises that I can afford with my budget. This will be my first carnival cruise (I'm a Royal Caribbean, but I recently found out that carnival cruises are easer on my bank account!) They leave at the same time which is great. The Horizon cruise is 6 night, and it leaves from Miami and goes to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel. The vista cruise is seven nights and goes to, Mahogany Bay, Belize, and Cozumel. The Horizon cruise is $1, 197.72, and the vista cruise is $1 253.72. I know this is long, but any feedback is apricated. 

My vote will always, ALWAYS be for the longer cruise!  

Plus, you're debating against sister ships so you can't go wrong with either choice.

I would ultimately decide if you're cruising for the ship or the itinerary.

If it's not about itinerary, go with the 7 day - but if itinerary matters go with the 6 day.

Clear as mud, right? 😉

• Like 6

2 hours ago, BabyJacks17 said:

My vote will always, ALWAYS be for the longer cruise!  

Plus, you're debating against sister ships so you can't go wrong with either choice.

I would ultimately decide if you're cruising for the ship or the itinerary.

If it's not about itinerary, go with the 7 day - but if itinerary matters go with the 6 day.

Clear as mud, right? 😉

Do you think that the itinerary for vista is better? If so why?

6 minutes ago, JP350 said:

Do you think that the itinerary for vista is better? If so why?

It's just a matter of preference because excursion wise I think you would see/experience similar sites during the Roatan/Belize/Cozumel itinerary as opposed to Jamaica/Grand Cayman/Cozumel which in my opinion - offers you more variety.  There's fun to be had at all the stops, so it's not a knock on any itinerary.

I now cruise for the ships, not itineraries so I'd choose 7 days versus 6 any day of the week. 😉

44 minutes ago, BabyJacks17 said:

It's just a matter of preference because excursion wise I think you would see/experience similar sites during the Roatan/Belize/Cozumel itinerary as opposed to Jamaica/Grand Cayman/Cozumel which in my opinion - offers you more variety.  There's fun to be had at all the stops, so it's not a knock on any itinerary.

I now cruise for the ships, not itineraries so I'd choose 7 days versus 6 any day of the week. 😉

Thanks, I never would have known this. Since the vista is 7 days and the more adventurous part of my household isn't coming on this cruise. I'll save mystic mountain, and ocho rios for the next cruise. Thanks for all your help!

Don't forget it is easier and cheaper for those that fly in to cruise in Miami rather than getting from Houston to Galveston. Well, not necessarily cheaper with lower priced hotels in Houston. Time constraints and traffic make travel to/from airports more of a challenge with Galveston.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JP350 said:

What's wrong with Belize. 

Belize might be great for diving or jungle adventures but the city itself reminded me of Haiti...

I'd go for Grand Cayman and Ochos Rios.

Edited by Lane Hog

It all depends on what folks want.  I actually really like Belize for the nature and history opportunities.  Fully 'developed' ports are actually less interesting to me.

As others have said, it is also reasonable to consider one's cost to get to the cruise.  Typically, SWA flights into Hobby from major nationwide airports are cheaper than flying into FLL but not always.  Usually this is offset by higher per night cruises prices but not in this case.  Personally, I'd do the 7 day.

Vista was a one-and-done for me, but I'll definitely consider the Horizon again for the right itinerary.

Also, unless you live in Texas or close by in Louisiana where you can drive, Galveston is a really expensive port to travel to. You have to fly to Houston, tack on a $100+ transport (each way) to Galveston and an overnight stay.

• Like 1

I have been on both and prefer Horizon. Only because Vista has issues with fog occasionally.  I happen to have been on this past NYE cruise where we didn't board until after 3 p.m. Honestly,  if you can swing it, do the 8 day to the Southern Caribbean.  It's amazing!

• Like 1

7- days vs 6 days. Roatan (Mahogany Bay) is a great stop. Fog in Galveston is much more of a problem in the winter than in the summer.  And if you can fly into Hobby, the ground transport is not that big of a deal. 

I’ve done both and I’d do the Horizon. It’s newer than the Vista, and it has Bonsai Teppanyaki and the Vista doesn’t. I love that place. Plus it has a Guys Pig & Anchor Brewhouse with a microbrewery which the Vista doesn’t have either. Those are are two of my favorite restaurants. Plus I prefer the Horizon's itinerary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisinqt said:

I’ve done both and I’d do the Horizon. It’s newer than the Vista, and it has Bonsai Teppanyaki and the Vista doesn’t. I love that place. Plus it has a Guys Pig & Anchor Brewhouse with a microbrewery which the Vista doesn’t have either. Those are are two of my favorite restaurants. Plus I prefer the Horizon's itinerary. 

Vista has the Pig and Anchor, but without the brewhouse I thought the only difference was that the brewhouse was moved from being a separate venue to being together, but the food was the same. Is there a difference? We've had izumi hibachi on Royal ships, and weren't impressed. Is carnival different?

2 hours ago, ChuckF said:

7- days vs 6 days. Roatan (Mahogany Bay) is a great stop. Fog in Galveston is much more of a problem in the winter than in the summer.  And if you can fly into Hobby, the ground transport is not that big of a deal. 

We're planning on driving into Galveston because we have relatives houses on the entire way. (free hotels and food), and I didn't even know fog was a problem in Galveston. 

3 hours ago, csj092809 said:

I have been on both and prefer Horizon. Only because Vista has issues with fog occasionally.  I happen to have been on this past NYE cruise where we didn't board until after 3 p.m. Honestly,  if you can swing it, do the 8 day to the Southern Caribbean.  It's amazing!

What's the fog issue? I've heard this from a lot of people, and its kinda making me nervous:) I've got the Southern Caribbean booked on Harmony of the Seas (IK wrong forum), but it feels redundant to go to aruba, and curacao even after I have another cruise booked to there, but is the Southern Caribbean worth it twice.

6 hours ago, keels81 said:

Vista was a one-and-done for me, but I'll definitely consider the Horizon again for the right itinerary.

Also, unless you live in Texas or close by in Louisiana where you can drive, Galveston is a really expensive port to travel to. You have to fly to Houston, tack on a $100+ transport (each way) to Galveston and an overnight stay.

We're in Georgia . Galveston is 12 hours with relatives along the way, and Miami's 11 hours with hotel costs so it's what and what. Why was vista a one and done for you, and compared to horizon.

The port in Galveston gets foggy sometimes, so the ship has to wait until it clears before they will send a pilot boat out to bring it in. That causes delays with debarkation and embarkation.  You can end up standing in a long line outside the port for an extended period of time before they open up the boarding process. We were in line so long, I ended up ordering Uber Eats for my son. They delivered it to me in line, LOL.  It does not happen every sailing, but is a possibility. Mostly a Winter time issue, I think. Others who have sailed her more would know better than I. 🙂

11 hours ago, JP350 said:

Vista has the Pig and Anchor, but without the brewhouse I thought the only difference was that the brewhouse was moved from being a separate venue to being together, but the food was the same. Is there a difference? We've had izumi hibachi on Royal ships, and weren't impressed. Is carnival different?

We're planning on driving into Galveston because we have relatives houses on the entire way. (free hotels and food), and I didn't even know fog was a problem in Galveston. 

What's the fog issue? I've heard this from a lot of people, and its kinda making me nervous:) I've got the Southern Caribbean booked on Harmony of the Seas (IK wrong forum), but it feels redundant to go to aruba, and curacao even after I have another cruise booked to there, but is the Southern Caribbean worth it twice.

the fog is during the winter, mainly February. Someone above had it NYE.

If you are talking summer you wouldnt have fog. It will be beastly hot. Lol. 

If you do vista or horizon be sure and try JiJis which isnt on many ships. Oriental with superb service and the pork belly app is better than chops. Going up to $18 pp.

I did 6 nights of pay restaurants on vista last time. I didnt think dinners in Mdr as good as rcl but their pay restaurants are a bargain. Try a couple. Italian is also $18. Supposed to have a good tomahawk pork chop. I skipped italian but did all the others. 

Both ships are sisters but horizon a bit newer. I prefer dream class myself but not a choice you are considering. 

11 hours ago, JP350 said:

We're in Georgia . Galveston is 12 hours with relatives along the way, and Miami's 11 hours with hotel costs so it's what and what. Why was vista a one and done for you, and compared to horizon.

If you are driving and it's only a hour difference and the ships are sisters not much difference. It's true Galveston is more of a drive to port for us in the mid west. Friendlier than miami imo. Ships passengers to me are just nicer and friendlier and I've gone out of every port in florida. It's a difference crowd. 

What I didnt like about vista class is they cut down on theater space and too many columns and comedy club cut in half so it's harder to get in. Comedy club is about the best thing carnival offers not their shows imo. And the shows will be packed on this ship. Also deck 5 which has large windows to look out at the sea on earlier builds is closed in. ..it does offer more pay restaurants than earlier builds.

Bbq free but only open sea days. Be sure and try it and brunch on sea days. 

Maybe do roatan on carnival. Carnival has mahogany beach, a beach day if you like free days at the beach. Rcl does coxen bay and ports downtown. 

• Like 1