Cruise Decision: Horizon vs Vista

JP350

17 hours ago, JP350 said:

Vista has the Pig and Anchor, but without the brewhouse I thought the only difference was that the brewhouse was moved from being a separate venue to being together, but the food was the same. Is there a difference? We've had izumi hibachi on Royal ships, and weren't impressed. Is carnival different?

We're planning on driving into Galveston because we have relatives houses on the entire way. (free hotels and food), and I didn't even know fog was a problem in Galveston. 

What's the fog issue? I've heard this from a lot of people, and its kinda making me nervous:) I've got the Southern Caribbean booked on Harmony of the Seas (IK wrong forum), but it feels redundant to go to aruba, and curacao even after I have another cruise booked to there, but is the Southern Caribbean worth it twice.

The difference is that the Pig & Anchor on the Vista is a small setup on an outside deck with limited hours and a limited menu. The Pig & Anchor Smokehouse Brewhouse on the Horizon is a full sized indoor restaurant that’s almost always open. It has a much bigger menu along with a full bar and live entertainment every night. We loved the trash can nachos, wings, chili cheese fries, baby back ribs, and southern style banana cream pie (only on Horizon). This place is more than a restaurant. It was a great place to hang out and drink and people watch. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cruisinqt said:

The difference is that the Pig & Anchor on the Vista is a small setup on an outside deck with limited hours and a limited menu. The Pig & Anchor Smokehouse Brewhouse on the Horizon is a full sized indoor restaurant that’s almost always open. It has a much bigger menu along with a full bar and live entertainment every night. We loved the trash can nachos, wings, chili cheese fries, baby back ribs, and southern style banana cream pie (only on Horizon). This place is more than a restaurant. It was a great place to hang out and drink and people watch. 

On vista the brewery part does have a menu but it said scan and I couldnt scan with my tablet so not sure what they sold, but it was a pay venue.

As I mentioned the bbq on vista is outside as you say but only open on sea days until 2 pm.  ... not that I ever went hungry at lunch time. Lunch carnival beats rcl. Dinner my vote is rcl wins. The steak in Mdr on carnival was not edible. ..at least to me. And fewer things i will eat. 

Edited by firefly333

BBQ open seadays until 2:30on Vista for lunch. No ribs available. Outside location on deck 5 definitely makes it often overlooked by many guests expecting Lido lunch. 

Single gelato station only open at lunch until 2:30. Overhead sign in middle of buffet area says Sweet Spot, many guests unaware they serve free gelato.

Edited by mondello
Correction

32 minutes ago, mondello said:

BBQ open seadays until 2:30on Vista for lunch. No ribs available. Outside location on deck 5 definitely makes it often overlooked by many guests expecting Lido lunch. 

Single gelato station only open at lunch until 2:30. Overhead sign in middle of buffet area says Sweet Spot, many guests unaware they serve free gelato.

Is the full pig and anchor reason enough to give up an extra day. 

Another thing to consider if one of these cruises is a Cozumel plus, this will give you more time in Cozumel. Many excursions take you to the mainland and can be 8 hours but if it is not Cozumel plus then you have less options for excursions.  I have been to Jamaica once and that was enough but Grand Turk is beautiful.  I would do the Vista for the itinerary, since I really like Belize and go to Turquoise Bay all-inclusive. 

22 hours ago, cruisinqt said:

Is the Pig & Anchor Brewhouse included in the price or is it all extra?

On 4/16/2022 at 7:17 PM, JP350 said:

I'm trying to book a weeklong Western Caribbean cruise during the summer months and the best cruises that I can afford with my budget. This will be my first carnival cruise (I'm a Royal Caribbean, but I recently found out that carnival cruises are easer on my bank account!) They leave at the same time which is great. The Horizon cruise is 6 night, and it leaves from Miami and goes to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel. The vista cruise is seven nights and goes to, Mahogany Bay, Belize, and Cozumel. The Horizon cruise is $1, 197.72, and the vista cruise is $1 253.72. I know this is long, but any feedback is apricated. 

To me the prices are similar and the ships Re similar, so that's a wash.  

I'd give the Vista cruise a +1 for having 7 days vs 6.

Both sail to Cozumel.  Assuming it's the same length it's a wash.

Ocho Rios can be fun, and Grand Cayman is gorgeous.

On the other side, Mahogany Bay is one of favorite ports.  However, I've already done the cool jungle stuff in Belize and don't get off the ship any more.  

I'd give the Vista the slight edge due to length, and if you've never been to Belize, the cave tubing is an epic adventure.  However, I think both itineraries would be an overall good choice on a newer ship.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Indytraveler83 said:

To me the prices are similar and the ships Re similar, so that's a wash.  

I'd give the Vista cruise a +1 for having 7 days vs 6.

Both sail to Cozumel.  Assuming it's the same length it's a wash.

Ocho Rios can be fun, and Grand Cayman is gorgeous.

On the other side, Mahogany Bay is one of favorite ports.  However, I've already done the cool jungle stuff in Belize and don't get off the ship any more.  

I'd give the Vista the slight edge due to length, and if you've never been to Belize, the cave tubing is an epic adventure.  However, I think both itineraries would be an overall good choice on a newer ship.  

So for someone who has never been to any of these ports (Royal doesn’t sail to any of them except Cozumel) would you say that vista has a better itinerary. Mystic Mountain in Jamaica sounds fun, but I don’t think that’s reason enough to give up a day

2 hours ago, JP350 said:

So for someone who has never been to any of these ports (Royal doesn’t sail to any of them except Cozumel) would you say that vista has a better itinerary. Mystic Mountain in Jamaica sounds fun, but I don’t think that’s reason enough to give up a day

Other than roatan where rcl ports downtown ...confused when you say rcl doesnt do the same ports. If you dont want to swim I kinda like docking downtown. Stuff is cheaper to buy. No biggie.

Both cruiselines just recently are restarting grand caymans and jamaica with it. I'm booked on liberty ots in sept and going to caymans and jamaica. I think it's the sept 18 leg of my b2b. Just added a excursion in grand Cayman to one already booked for jamaica is why I remember which date. Grand cayman is a tender port for both cruiselines. No difference.

Both cruiselines pretty much go to the same ports. 

Grand cayman has been closed because of covid .. nothing to do with rcl and carnival. It's just recently reopened. 

Edited by firefly333

19 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Other than roatan where rcl ports downtown ...confused when you say rcl doesnt do the same ports. If you dont want to swim I kinda like docking downtown. Stuff is cheaper to buy. No biggie.

Both cruiselines just recently are restarting grand caymans and jamaica with it. I'm booked on liberty ots in sept and going to caymans and jamaica. I think it's the sept 18 leg of my b2b. Just added a excursion in grand Cayman to one already booked for jamaica is why I remember which date. Grand cayman is a tender port for both cruiselines. No difference.

Both cruiselines pretty much go to the same ports. 

Grand cayman has been closed because of covid .. nothing to do with rcl and carnival. It's just recently reopened. 

My apologies, I was checking Royal out of port Everglades and Miami, and the only ittenaries for summer I was seeing was costa maya, cozumel, and coco, but I thought Royal wasn’t porting in cayman or Jamaica because of Covid 

23 hours ago, JP350 said:

To me it's a struggle.  Leaving out Cozumel-

Mahogany Bay- my favorite by far.  It's an awesome, cruise line sculpted beach port that you can do as much or as little as you want.  The area reef is gorgeous and impressive.

Grand Cayman- another very good port.  The beaches are amazing, swimming with stingrays is awesome, and there's a ton to do with or without an excursion (this is a tender port however).

Jamaica- to me an average port with average things to do.  I do appreciate the culture and the exposure you get to it far more than any of the other ports on this list.

Belize- my least favorite.  I loved the cave tubing in the jungle.  But it was a long day of bus rides to do it, and I'm not a fan of the cramped port area.  This is another tender port, and the tender ride is long and rough.

So yes, to me I'd cruise on the Vista because Cozumel and Mahogany Bay are two fun ports for me.  If I'd never done the cave tubing in Belize, that would make this a very adventurous trip.

For me,.the other consideration is this: Mahogany Bay is a seldom missed port that the ship docks at.  If you lose any port due to weather on the Vista, it's likely Belize.  On the Horizon, it's Grand Cayman you tender to, and if you miss it, you miss the best port (IMO) of that trip. 

Edited by Indytraveler83

On 4/20/2022 at 11:12 PM, Indytraveler83 said:

To me it's a struggle.  Leaving out Cozumel-

Mahogany Bay- my favorite by far.  It's an awesome, cruise line sculpted beach port that you can do as much or as little as you want.  The area reef is gorgeous and impressive.

Grand Cayman- another very good port.  The beaches are amazing, swimming with stingrays is awesome, and there's a ton to do with or without an excursion (this is a tender port however).

Jamaica- to me an average port with average things to do.  I do appreciate the culture and the exposure you get to it far more than any of the other ports on this list.

Belize- my least favorite.  I loved the cave tubing in the jungle.  But it was a long day of bus rides to do it, and I'm not a fan of the cramped port area.  This is another tender port, and the tender ride is long and rough.

So yes, to me I'd cruise on the Vista because Cozumel and Mahogany Bay are two fun ports for me.  If I'd never done the cave tubing in Belize, that would make this a very adventurous trip.

For me,.the other consideration is this: Mahogany Bay is a seldom missed port that the ship docks at.  If you lose any port due to weather on the Vista, it's likely Belize.  On the Horizon, it's Grand Cayman you tender to, and if you miss it, you miss the best port (IMO) of that trip. 

Thank’s for this it really puts it in perspective, and I think I might go with vista. Would you say that the vista class is sub substantially better than the dream class because that is about 75 dollars cheaper out of Galveston for the same ittenary.

2 hours ago, JP350 said:

Thank’s for this it really puts it in perspective, and I think I might go with vista. Would you say that the vista class is sub substantially better than the dream class because that is about 75 dollars cheaper out of Galveston for the same ittenary.

Actually I prefer dream class I did vista and b2b breeze and liked breeze better last fall.  Spa is better on dream class and deck 5 promenade deck has windows to see out of. Vista promenade deck got closed in, cant walk along and see the ocean. And clubs and theater cut in half ..comedy club always a line on vista. Depends what you like maybe. I like more open decks and fewer lines. Sat in the aft a lot on breeze enjoying my white pizza.

5 hours ago, JP350 said:

I would say both classes have their plusses. If you are more interested in specialty dining restaurants then the Vista class is better. If you are more interested in the shows and the comedy club the Dream class has larger theaters for both. The Dream, which I'm assuming is the ship you are looking at out of Galveston is my favorite ship. And my last cruise was on Vista. But my next cruise is on Horizon. You can't really go wrong with any of the three in my opinion. 

On 4/18/2022 at 5:17 PM, firefly333 said:

On vista the brewery part does have a menu but it said scan and I couldnt scan with my tablet so not sure what they sold, but it was a pay venue.

As I mentioned the bbq on vista is outside as you say but only open on sea days until 2 pm.  ... not that I ever went hungry at lunch time. Lunch carnival beats rcl. Dinner my vote is rcl wins. The steak in Mdr on carnival was not edible. ..at least to me. And fewer things i will eat. 

On the Vista the Guys Pig & Anchor bbq is free but it’s only open for limited times which sucks because I like their food a lot. The brewery is an extra cost but it’s not a part of the Pig & Anchor like it is on the Mardi Gras. On the Vista the brewery is in the Red Frog Pub. There’s a menu there but it’s mostly bar snacks so you didn’t miss out on anything. We sail on the Quantam Of The Seas next May. We’re going to Alaska. I can’t wait. I agree that RCL has better food in the MDR. But for me Carnival wins in the overall food department hands down. They have lots more restaurants to choose from and most of them are free. The specialty restaurants are especially good and worth the extra cost, especially JiJi’s Asian at only $15. I think RCL has better overall shows and entertainment too. But Carnival has way better nightlife with lots more to do after 10 pm. I think both lines are very good and pretty comparable. 

• Like 1

I have been on both ships.  The statements above give you an idea what to expect on the ship.   I would recommend looking at the shore excursions to see what you prefer.  That is the best way to help you answer your question of which cruise is better.  

Another factors includes cost of flying to Miami or Galveston.  Form Galveston Hobby Airport in Houston is 45 minutes to 1hour from Galveston.  Miami has their airport from the cruise port as well as Fort Lauderdale about 40 minutes away.

If you have not been to South Beach try flying in a day early (or after the cruise) and experience the South Beach vibe.  Galveston is an old fishing / harbor town. Lots of historic buildings and stores. Hotel cost are higher in South Beach, but overall Miami and Galveston are compareable in hotel costs.

The Horizon cruise is one less day so flying in early can be used for tourist time in FLA.

Have Fun! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CruiseHealing said:

I have been on both ships.  The statements above give you an idea what to expect on the ship.   I would recommend looking at the shore excursions to see what you prefer.  That is the best way to help you answer your question of which cruise is better.  

Another factors includes cost of flying to Miami or Galveston.  Form Galveston Hobby Airport in Houston is 45 minutes to 1hour from Galveston.  Miami has their airport from the cruise port as well as Fort Lauderdale about 40 minutes away.

If you have not been to South Beach try flying in a day early (or after the cruise) and experience the South Beach vibe.  Galveston is an old fishing / harbor town. Lots of historic buildings and stores. Hotel cost are higher in South Beach, but overall Miami and Galveston are compareable in hotel costs.

The Horizon cruise is one less day so flying in early can be used for tourist time in FLA.

Have Fun! 

We've been and sailed out of Miami multiple times so that's not new for us, but we would drive to both ports, so we could spend a day at the Florida theme parks and that's a plus, but the excursions sailing out of Galveston are cheaper, and better. 

10 hours ago, cruisinqt said:

On the Vista the Guys Pig & Anchor bbq is free but it’s only open for limited times which sucks because I like their food a lot. The brewery is an extra cost but it’s not a part of the Pig & Anchor like it is on the Mardi Gras. On the Vista the brewery is in the Red Frog Pub. There’s a menu there but it’s mostly bar snacks so you didn’t miss out on anything. We sail on the Quantam Of The Seas next May. We’re going to Alaska. I can’t wait. I agree that RCL has better food in the MDR. But for me Carnival wins in the overall food department hands down. They have lots more restaurants to choose from and most of them are free. The specialty restaurants are especially good and worth the extra cost, especially JiJi’s Asian at only $15. I think RCL has better overall shows and entertainment too. But Carnival has way better nightlife with lots more to do after 10 pm. I think both lines are very good and pretty comparable. 

I completely agree about the dining RCI's specialty dining prices are outrageous $55 for 150 central park, chops, or Giovanni's. I'm excited about trying some cheaper specialty dining. I've been on Quantum out of Seattle twice and I promise you're going to have an awesome time. When you get onboard make show, and dining reservations first thing. On embarkation day in Seattle if you want to use the outdoor pools day 1 will be the only comfortable day to use the outdoor pool, and solarium bistro is a better quieter alternative to the WJ on embarkation.

22 hours ago, jasong38501 said:

I would say both classes have their plusses. If you are more interested in specialty dining restaurants then the Vista class is better. If you are more interested in the shows and the comedy club the Dream class has larger theaters for both. The Dream, which I'm assuming is the ship you are looking at out of Galveston is my favorite ship. And my last cruise was on Vista. But my next cruise is on Horizon. You can't really go wrong with any of the three in my opinion. 

Yes, I'm more interested in dining and sports deck stuff than entertainment, but I'll always go to a good show. 

Does anyone know that if staying on deck 1 has any advantages. I know that it is right above propulsion systems, and to not choose a cabin in the bow, but is it worth it to pay $10 to upgrade to deck 2, and $20 to upgrade to any higher decks. (9, 6, 7 etc)

5 hours ago, JP350 said:

Does anyone know that if staying on deck 1 has any advantages. I know that it is right above propulsion systems, and to not choose a cabin in the bow, but is it worth it to pay $10 to upgrade to deck 2, and $20 to upgrade to any higher decks. (9, 6, 7 etc)

It's always wise to stay midship with cabins above and below you as a sandwich.  If 1,2,6,7,8 are cabins, then deck 7 mid to mid rear would be a good choice.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 10:39 PM, BasicSailor said:

Horizon Vs Vista, tough choice.  O.R. 👎 Belize 👎.

This.... Don't really care for OR or Belize.  I do like Grand Cayman way more than Mahogany Bay though.  But 1 day more on a cruise for about the same price... I would go with that any day.