Recovery time from a positive Covid test

dukev

Not cruise specific - just wondering about some actual experiences others have had after a positive covid test.  What I'm wondering is how long after testing positive before you started getting negative results again.  And were they consistently negative from then on.  Reason for asking - my wife and I both tested positive 1 month before our cruise is scheduled to leave.  Do we need to be concerned about testing positive for the next month.  Again, just wondering what other's have actually  experienced.  Negative after 1 week?  2 weeks?  Thanks very much.

This is a complicated topic. On PCR tests you can possibly test positive up to 90 days after you were infected, because the PCR  test detects " debris" remaining from Covid. An antigen test, which can be less accurate than the very highly accurate PCR tests, only detects active infections. So, you probably want to take an antigen test in the days leading up to your cruise.

So, how soon one goes negative after after a positive text will depend on type of test, seriousness of infection,  vaccination status, and individual immune systems. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dukev said:

Not cruise specific - just wondering about some actual experiences others have had after a positive covid test.  What I'm wondering is how long after testing positive before you started getting negative results again.  And were they consistently negative from then on.  Reason for asking - my wife and I both tested positive 1 month before our cruise is scheduled to leave.  Do we need to be concerned about testing positive for the next month.  Again, just wondering what other's have actually  experienced.  Negative after 1 week?  2 weeks?  Thanks very much.

My last positive test is almost 3 weeks after my initial symptoms.  I have not had a test in the last couple of days, so who knows.   On the other hand, Mrs Ldubs started testing negative in less than a week.   In my case, I was able to obtain a document of recovery from a doctor saying I was OK to travel.   The CDC rule for a letter of recovery is a positive test not more than 90 days old and at least 10 days have passed since the onset of symptoms, or if no symptoms, then 10 days have passed since a positive test.   I think I have it right, but best to double check as Mrs Ldubs frequently questions my memory.  🙂

Our needs were to return to America, but I think the same criteria applies for boarding a cruise ship.  At least it does for Princess which is the one I will be boarding soon.  Of course, depending on your location, a CDC rule may have no meaning. 

All of our tests were the rapid antigen tests.  We did self tests and also had several by testing labs.  

• Like 1

This year, after I lost my sense of smell I had both a positive PCR and antigen test on 6 Jan ... I never had any other symptoms.

I flew to the UK to board the Queen Mary 2 on 22 Feb. They did a PCR test at embarkation, and again on day 4 and day 7.... All three were negative. 

I just hope I'm negative this Friday before my next cruise. 🙂

Aloha,

John