April 3, 2022, Encore Embarkation Surprises - Port of Miami

lexxfield

There were four unexpected events that occurred during the embarkation at the Port of Miami on my recent sailing date.  I thought this may be of interest to some on this site.  I witnessed each of the events, but I should add a caveat that the situation may be different on your sailing date.

1.  No NCL representative ever looked at the check-in time listed on my cruise document.  My travel companion and I each had our own separate cabin.  He had a check-in time of 9:30 a.m. and mine was at 10:00. Since we had driven to Miami the day before, we wanted to get to the port early to ensure we got a parking space at the cruise terminal. We arrived just before 8:45 a.m.  We entered the terminal just before 9 and joined the line that had already formed.  From the time we parked until we boarded the ship no employee ever looked at our cruise documents.  Of course, our vaccination cards, COVID test results, and passports were closely examined.

2.  The requirement to wear masks inside the terminal was not enforced.  As we entered the terminal we were scrambling to find masks to wear, as I remembered that was a requirement.  When we entered the building, about half the people in line were not wearing masks.  When many others entering the terminal were maskless, we thought the procedure must have changed, so we took ours off.  No employee ever directed us to wear a mask during the entire time we were in the terminal.

3.  While in the check-in line, I noticed that the man standing a few people in front of us was carrying a case of water, and two other gentleman in his group were carrying twelve-packs of soft drinks in cans.  I thought to myself, "Uh-oh, these people don't realize that their items will be confiscated at security."  I kept my eye on them while they were going through security to see what would happen.  When the group got to the checkpoint, the security employee said something and the party looked puzzled.  A longer discussion ensued with security.  Much to my surprise, the security personnel did not confiscate the items, and allowed the people to take the water and soda with them.  That group checked in with items in hand, and proceeded to wait with others for boarding.  I did not see this group board the ship, so I can't say whether they made it on board through the ship's security that was stationed where one entered the ship.  

4.  When boarding began, chaos occurred. We were in boarding group 2.  As soon as the announcement that boarding would begin was made, most people jumped up and joined a large group milling around the boarding area of the terminal.  Despite multiple request for everyone to remain seated, no one did.  After those needing assistance went through, it was a free for all to board.  Dispite only group 1, then group 2 being called, multiple people were in line with much higher boarding numbers pushing through saying, "I have priority boarding." At this point the employees appeared to have no control and appeared to let anyone through.  I don't know whether the situation got under control after we passed through or not.  I did not hear a call for those with priority boarding to board prior to group 1.  Can someone who is platinum or above in status comment on how priority boarding works?

@Rick&Jeannie

In full agreement and most of them seem to cruise on NCL!!!

In Yokohama they did have a "bit of a system".   Different colours for boarding tickets for the Latitudes people with special boarding and the rest.

We were in the latter category with a green ticket which they took account of BUT they didn't check the number!!!

On 4/17/2022 at 8:37 AM, lexxfield said:

There were four unexpected events that occurred during the embarkation at the Port of Miami on my recent sailing date.  I thought this may be of interest to some on this site.  I witnessed each of the events, but I should add a caveat that the situation may be different on your sailing date.

1.  No NCL representative ever looked at the check-in time listed on my cruise document.  My travel companion and I each had our own separate cabin.  He had a check-in time of 9:30 a.m. and mine was at 10:00. Since we had driven to Miami the day before, we wanted to get to the port early to ensure we got a parking space at the cruise terminal. We arrived just before 8:45 a.m.  We entered the terminal just before 9 and joined the line that had already formed.  From the time we parked until we boarded the ship no employee ever looked at our cruise documents.  Of course, our vaccination cards, COVID test results, and passports were closely examined.

2.  The requirement to wear masks inside the terminal was not enforced.  As we entered the terminal we were scrambling to find masks to wear, as I remembered that was a requirement.  When we entered the building, about half the people in line were not wearing masks.  When many others entering the terminal were maskless, we thought the procedure must have changed, so we took ours off.  No employee ever directed us to wear a mask during the entire time we were in the terminal.

3.  While in the check-in line, I noticed that the man standing a few people in front of us was carrying a case of water, and two other gentleman in his group were carrying twelve-packs of soft drinks in cans.  I thought to myself, "Uh-oh, these people don't realize that their items will be confiscated at security."  I kept my eye on them while they were going through security to see what would happen.  When the group got to the checkpoint, the security employee said something and the party looked puzzled.  A longer discussion ensued with security.  Much to my surprise, the security personnel did not confiscate the items, and allowed the people to take the water and soda with them.  That group checked in with items in hand, and proceeded to wait with others for boarding.  I did not see this group board the ship, so I can't say whether they made it on board through the ship's security that was stationed where one entered the ship.  

4.  When boarding began, chaos occurred. We were in boarding group 2.  As soon as the announcement that boarding would begin was made, most people jumped up and joined a large group milling around the boarding area of the terminal.  Despite multiple request for everyone to remain seated, no one did.  After those needing assistance went through, it was a free for all to board.  Dispite only group 1, then group 2 being called, multiple people were in line with much higher boarding numbers pushing through saying, "I have priority boarding." At this point the employees appeared to have no control and appeared to let anyone through.  I don't know whether the situation got under control after we passed through or not.  I did not hear a call for those with priority boarding to board prior to group 1.  Can someone who is platinum or above in status comment on how priority boarding works?

I have been on 4 cruises since the restart but my Encore cruise was out of Seattle. The only point that I encountered was #1...no one checked our boarding times on any of the cruises. I was early for my Escape cruise out of PC but the testing tents were empty so it made sense to let us in. The mask mandate was being followed but since things have loosened up considerably lately, I can see where they might be lax.  I did see one woman in PC that had soda past security at the port but it was taken away from her when she tried to actually board. And boarding in all 4 ports was Haven, handicapped, and then Platinum and above. There are lots of people that fit into that Latitudes category now. One port did not give Platinum and above boarding numbers and when I got one in PC, I handed it to someone with a higher number because I really had no need for it (they have always checked my card, which shows Latitudes status).

These cruises were all 50% or less capacity and as ships start to sail closer to 100%, I am sure what you saw will become more prevalent (other than the soda/water restriction).

On 4/17/2022 at 10:37 AM, lexxfield said:

Can someone who is platinum or above in status comment on how priority boarding works?

The people who work in the port terminal are employed by the port, not the cruise line, so they may not be aware of all the rules, perks, etc. of each cruise line.  According to NCL, Latitudes members who have priority boarding privileges should be allowed on the ship soon after those with accessibility issues, Haven and Suite passengers, and another others with special needs.  Group 1 passengers should be held until all priority passengers have been given an opportunity to board.  It rarely works out that way.

• Like 1

Our experience was that ,  (Joy March 26th Sailing) 

Item 1 :  Do you think its just kind of like self policing?  If you sign up for a certain time then you most likely will show up for that . I know that there are going to be people that skirt that , but until ships are at 100 % , it probable that it  wont be a issue. 

Item 2 ... We found the same thing upon disembarkation.. While during embarkation, I say most people fly in so they have their masks, about 75 % or so., upon disembarkations, it was funny that they didn't give you a 'paper' mask to get you thru the terminal.  It was at least 75 % without. Seems like for the minimal $ of a paper mask , it would seem that  they would have left them in the cabin with the final day documents. 

But that being said , no one really cared hat we didn't have them on upon disembarkation. 

Items 3 and 4 .. We did not witness either. (Haven guests d=so we went a diffferent direction than the general public)  so I cannot comment 

Edited by Kzeeguy

I boarded the Joy from the same terminal a month ago, some comments.

On 4/17/2022 at 11:37 AM, lexxfield said:

1.  No NCL representative ever looked at the check-in time listed on my cruise document.

Agree, I don't think anyone looked at the time, but by the time I got inside the building it was after my scheduled time anyway even though I arrived 30 minutes earlier than that.

2.  The requirement to wear masks inside the terminal was not enforced

Same thing happened a month ago.  I admit to being guilty of that, but at that point we're among some of our 3,000 new friends that we're going to be among for the next week anyway.

4.  When boarding began, chaos occurred

My boarding wasn't as bad as you described, once they admonished people for trying to line up/board earlier than they should have everyone seemed to comply.  At least until boarding group 3 was called, then I boarded and couldn't see/hear what happened after...

We were part of the chaos. One of the “challenges” of the new terminal is that there is no separate seating for platinum, sapphire, Diamond, and ambassador guests. In the old terminal, there was a separate area which was allowed to board first. At the new Miami terminal, we were told to “join the crowd”. And we were not given a boarding group number. And just crowded the gangway entrance when boarding started. 

• Like 1

Regarding the water/soda, there is a chance that the people who brought that through security had a liquid exemption. We've had a liquid exemption on cruises and it has definitely caused a discussion at security. Of course, water would be a tough one to get NCL to accept. The soda would depend on the type.

1.  No NCL representative ever looked at the check-in time listed on my cruise document.  

Just an FYI...we primarily cruise Princess and they do not check boarding times as well.  It's pretty much the "honor" system...and of course there are people who decide that the normal system does not apply to them.