On Queen Mary now? Covid cases?

debbyma

It seems that somehow there will be some level of cases always on board that will make it on to the ship.

Just have to be very careful on going. Brooklyn numbers are rising and we are awaiting to see what they are in the next two weeks from this holiday.

Coming this September we will also be as careful but monitor the prior sailings activities to be aware.

22 hours ago, debbyma said:

It seemed that the last voyage had lots of cases.  Hopefully, that is not true now.  Anyone have an insight?

Correct: We were on board for the Caribbean cruise, and many people were disembarked in New York, Fort  Lauderdale and Barbados. 

Going ashore was limited to tours with Cunard in Barbados, we were not even allowed to go ashore to the terminal. Curacao was cancelled. 

Masks had to worn at all times.

My husband and many friends became positive and were moved to quarantine staterooms on decks 4, 5 and 6. 

I was forbidden to eat or drink in any food and beverage outlets and had to eat and drink ONLY in my stateroom and I was tested every day.

The testing room on deck 1 was very busy.

Men in white overalls, masks and visors (the "Ghost Busters" as some called them) were seen at night spreading something in hallways.

NO numbers or any hint of a number was said which added to the anxiety.

Not sure that Covid is under control.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, tmcauban said:

Correct: We were on board for the Caribbean cruise, and many people were disembarked in New York, Fort  Lauderdale and Barbados. 

Going ashore was limited to tours with Cunard in Barbados, we were not even allowed to go ashore to the terminal. Curacao was cancelled. 

Masks had to worn at all times.

My husband and many friends became positive and were moved to quarantine staterooms on decks 4, 5 and 6. 

I was forbidden to eat or drink in any food and beverage outlets and had to eat and drink ONLY in my stateroom and I was tested every day.

The testing room on deck 1 was very busy.

Men in white overalls, masks and visors (the "Ghost Busters" as some called them) were seen at night spreading something in hallways.

NO numbers or any hint of a number was said which added to the anxiety.

Not sure that Covid is under control.

I think any numbers will be on a Southampton/Southampton or New York/New York basis which will surely add to any anexity when the ship has done 2 cruise since the southampton departure and new passengers boardig somewhere along the line are walking onboard to those figures. It is not like an entirely fresh group board each time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

It seems that somehow there will be some level of cases always on board that will make it on to the ship.

Just have to be very careful on going. Brooklyn numbers are rising and we are awaiting to see what they are in the next two weeks from this holiday.

Coming this September we will also be as careful but monitor the prior sailings activities to be aware.

I am still in isolation this is my 6th day, tested negative yesterday, waiting for my test this morning which if negative I can back to my cabin and walk about but won’t be allowed in the restaurants. For first 3 days food came to me on disposable plates, paper cup soup, food was cold. Has improved now hot and served on proper plates. No one tells me anything when I ask the medics. Totally spoiled a cruise and also for my friend who thankfully has been Covid free. Why does it take them 7 hours to do a Covid test? When I can do it in 20 minutes? It would have been good for the Captain to refer to us poor soles in isolation in his daily noon broadcasts. Interesting fact, decks 4 & 5 no longer show on the pocket size deck floor plans:guide? Saw strange things in New York with two black painted coaches with blacked out windows with two guys in full PPE loading cases onboard.

Bryan

@tmcaubanwere you offered the choice to stay with your husband in his quarantine cabin? Were you limited to eating in your cabin because you were a close contact? And were you allowed to join in any activities? Even those taking place in areas with bars?

Sorry for all the questions. This seems so much more restrictive than on our recent Norway cruise. I'm now seriously considering cancelling our 19 night med cruise and transferring to a shorter cruise, as I am concerned about the risk of spending a large portion of the cruise restricted to what I can do, even without testing positive. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CovidNo said:

I am still in isolation this is my 6th day, tested negative yesterday, waiting for my test this morning which if negative I can back to my cabin and walk about but won’t be allowed in the restaurants. For first 3 days food came to me on disposable plates, paper cup soup, food was cold. Has improved now hot and served on proper plates. No one tells me anything when I ask the medics. Totally spoiled a cruise and also for my friend who thankfully has been Covid free. Why does it take them 7 hours to do a Covid test? When I can do it in 20 minutes? 

@CovidNoI'm so sorry to hear your cruise has been spoiled. I don't understand why, if you are testing negative, you are still not allowed in the restaurants etc. I hope you will be given FCC for the time you are allowed to walk around but not use the facilities, as well as for when you were confined to your quarantine cabin.

It took 3 hours for us to be given a negative result on our Norway cruise in March. Very annoying, as we had already done our own tests and knew we were negative. We lost the whole of the last morning onboard waiting to be given a result we already knew.

I hope the rest of your cruise improves somewhat.

• Like 1

This is worrying because it seems to be a different policy to the one that that was in force on Queen Elizabeth and different to how we understood things were working. I echo @Camgirl in that I thought that those that tested positive PLUS those in the same cabin went into insolation (either together or separated). If separated, the negative one could be released after x days (2 or 3?) of continued negative tests. The positive person must continue to isolate until negative plus x days (again I thought 2 or 3). In addition, those that are deemed close contacts are tested (hopefully quickly but let's put that aside for now) and if negative can continue as normal. This happened to us and I had seen and heard about it happening to others so I was prepared and understanding when we were affected.

This policy of allowing some passengers around the ship but not in restaurants and bars seems very odd. They are either deemed "safe" or not. In addition, there is also a risk of a stigma being attached to these passengers which cannot be nice for anyone. It also means that I am no longer prepared for how Covid will be treated so I am less likely to cruise in the future until there is consistency again. 

• Like 1

The difference between the reports for how cases have been handled on QM2 and QE may come down to the US CDC's guidelines. Those CDC guidelines would have applied to QM2's recent cruises since they have called at US ports but not to QE's cruises since they have not called at US ports.

The following section from the "Technical Instructions for CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships Operating in U.S. Waters" may be especially pertinent to this discussion. The portion I've quoted discusses how close contacts who are up-to-date with their vaccinations are to be handled, including the need for close contacts to have in-cabin dining for 10 days after exposure.

"Close Contacts

Because of the potential for asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic transmission, it is important that close contacts of individuals with SARS-CoV-2 infection be quickly identified and tested.

Travelers who Are Up to Date with their COVID-19 Vaccines: These close contacts must quarantine until at least 5 full days after their last exposure (the day of last close contact is counted as day 0). They must receive a viral test (NAAT or antigen, NAAT preferred) immediately and on day 5 (or later) before ending quarantine. They may end quarantine after 5 days if they remain asymptomatic after 5 days and both viral tests are negative. Alternatively, cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may opt to test these travelers with a viral test daily until 5 days after their last exposure in lieu of a 5-day quarantine.

• For a full 10-day period after their last exposure, these individuals must have in-cabin dining and properly wear a well-fitting mask at all times when outside of their cabin (indoors and outdoors). They must also wear a well-fitting mask inside their cabin if any other person (e.g., a crew member) enters the cabin."
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

For a full 10-day period after their last exposure, these individuals must have in-cabin dining and properly wear a well-fitting mask at all times when outside of their cabin (indoors and outdoors). They must also wear a well-fitting mask inside their cabin if any other person (e.g., a crew member) enters the cabin."

You are a star @bluemarble. Not seen this before and it makes perfect sense for what is happening onboard now. I am personally staying away from Spain cruises at the moment until the risk of disembarkation has gone (seems to be almost there) and now my transatlantic days will stay on hold until this disappears. 

• Like 1

Just now, BouncingWheel said:

You are a star @bluemarble. Not seen this before and it makes perfect sense for what is happening onboard now. I am personally staying away from Spain cruises at the moment until the risk of disembarkation has gone (seems to be almost there) and now my transatlantic days will stay on hold until this disappears. 

Here, here! Thanks for the perfect explanation bluemarble. Much happier now!

Getting whip lash here. I went from giving the world cruise a chance in 2023 to no way in H would I spend that money and risk 117 days before the mast. Looking at some wonderful land vacations here in the US where we have packed up Covid and put it on the back shelf.

14 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Getting whip lash here. I went from giving the world cruise a chance in 2023 to no way in H would I spend that money and risk 117 days before the mast. Looking at some wonderful land vacations here in the US where we have packed up Covid and put it on the back shelf.

Hi.  Wondering where in the US you could travel on a land vacation where "we have packed up Covid and put it on the back shelf".  I'm not sure I understand the statement.  Are you saying that there are places in the US where one needn't have any concerns about the possibility of getting Covid, and if so, would you mind sharing what those places are?  I might consider visiting as well.  The most recent data shows that Covid cases are currently on the increase in the US.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

Hi.  Wondering where in the US you could travel on a land vacation where "we have packed up Covid and put it on the back shelf".  I'm not sure I understand the statement.  Are you saying that there are places in the US where one needn't have any concerns about the possibility of getting Covid, and if so, would you mind sharing what those places are?  I might consider visiting as well.  The most recent data shows that Covid cases are currently on the increase in the US.

I would think she meant that we no longer have any mask mandates here and even the airlines or airports no longer require them.  

23 hours ago, Camgirl said:

Here, here! Thanks for the perfect explanation bluemarble. Much happier now!

We were on QM2 28n Caribbean Jan Feb via Lisbon & Teneriffe (no US) very little problems all ports visited 

26 minutes ago, sogne said:

We were on QM2 28n Caribbean Jan Feb via Lisbon & Teneriffe (no US) very little problems all ports visited 

The problem is not ports being visited but how close contacts and Covid protocols onboard work.

It appears that they are working one way for departures from UK to Europe and another way if US is involved.

It could be a 3rd way (or Europe way) if sailing to Caribbean but not including US ports but I have  no idea now. We somehow need to know the treatment for each location in the same way we currently have a country vaccination and port rules list. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

I believe that you are on one of the two QM Centenary World Voyages: 1 from Southampton - Southampton that goes nowhere near USA and the other is the same trip with 2 transatlantic trips at either end.

Luckily it is a long way to go before being forced to make a decision and pay plus the 2024 alternatives are not even released yet. Giving it a chance still seems, at least for a month or so, is probably the best choice.

However, IF it stays like this and IF they implement the US rules on the Southampton to Southampton portion then I am sure there would be mass cancellations leading to either the whole cruise being cancelled or the US part being scrapped. 

9 hours ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

Here is my take on this issue at this point. Pick any ten contagious diseases and test for them every day in mass quantities and then look at the results. You will never leave your home again. The world is a walking disease and one must factor in the risk Vs. rewards to life. Many will never be comfortable living any more after this flare up. Others will . The US has lifted its mask mandate and there are no places where testing is required, so yes we have placed this virus in the closet along with the flu, Herpes, jaundice, aides, and hundreds of other diseases that are contagious.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BouncingWheel said:

I believe that you are on one of the two QM Centenary World Voyages: 1 from Southampton - Southampton that goes nowhere near USA and the other is the same trip with 2 transatlantic trips at either end.

Luckily it is a long way to go before being forced to make a decision and pay plus the 2024 alternatives are not even released yet. Giving it a chance still seems, at least for a month or so, is probably the best choice.

However, IF it stays like this and IF they implement the US rules on the Southampton to Southampton portion then I am sure there would be mass cancellations leading to either the whole cruise being cancelled or the US part being scrapped. 

Final payment is August 3. Not that far away and in as much as we have dropped the mask mandates, the est of he protocols should not be far behind. The Asian portion of the voyage is the most troubling as parts are still not open and others require at present being off loaded if testing positive. That is not a world cruise that is a 117 day venture into the unknown with a high stress level. I can get that by staying in the US and spending 117 days riding the NYC subways system for a lot less than the world cruise fare even in the inside cabins.. No thanks.

• Like 1

“…we have placed this virus in the closet along with the flu, Herpes, jaundice, aides, and hundreds of other diseases that are contagious.”

This speaks to opinion, not fact for many of us, who appreciate the empathy for the vulnerable shown by some who continue to mask. One judge in Florida set aside the mask mandate, but that’s being contested as of yesterday. So this isn’t a state of affairs one should rely on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Here is my take on this issue at this point. Pick any ten contagious diseases and test for them every day in mass quantities and then look at the results. You will never leave your home again. The world is a walking disease and one must factor in the risk Vs. rewards to life. Many will never be comfortable living any more after this flare up. Others will . The US has lifted its mask mandate and there are no places where testing is required, so yes we have placed this virus in the closet along with the flu, Herpes, jaundice, aides, and hundreds of other diseases that are contagious.

We have kinda placed the bug on the shelf too ,we still wear a mask IF we have to go to a particular place [professional building] but any store/restaurant etc that has a sign on the door for masks we u turn. I came back to the forum to see wazz up on the boats and quickly called cunard and cancelled for the 3rd time our x mass carib cruise ,we have done the cruise there 10 or more times on the QM2 .  We are not at all afraid of the virus just too concerned over the restrictions [ports ,excursions ,ship areas etc] that would spoil the cruise that we are accustom to . 21 cruise days until diamond status ......if i live that long lol....oh well next year  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

“…we have placed this virus in the closet along with the flu, Herpes, jaundice, aides, and hundreds of other diseases that are contagious.”

This speaks to opinion, not fact for many of us, who appreciate the empathy for the vulnerable shown by some who continue to mask. One judge in Florida set aside the mask mandate, but that’s being contested as of yesterday. So this isn’t a state of affairs one should rely on.

Genies are almost impossible to put back in the bottle once they have been given their freedom. In the US it only takes one judge.

The thread relates to the current cases on QM2 and @bluemarble excellently explained that it was not Cunard's fault for the onboard protocols but US CDC. Therefore, it is them we need to "catch up" and adopt the protocols that the others are mentioning elsewhere.

Where I do have angst against Cunard is that there is a need to communicate what their onboard policies are for all cruises and continue to update them. If it means a link to another document (like the A-Z destination guide for ports) then so be it. At present they either do not match reality or are inconsistent. This is what Cunard Website says at the moment but does not seem to be occurring except in the US ports

In the event of testing positive on board.

Similar to the protocols for all international travel, if you test positive for Covid-19 whilst on board, you and your close contacts will need to isolate for your well-being and the well-being of other guests.

We’ll move you to a dedicated stateroom, with a balcony where possible, and we’ll make sure you’re well looked after with full room service, a choice of three meals a day, free access to TV channels, and a complimentary laundry service.

If this is currently policy for all cruises then fine, I can accept that and I personally will wait until close contacts that test negative are free to continue their cruise before boarding again.