On Queen Mary now? Covid cases?

debbyma

7 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

10 days, QE to Alaska. Given that there's a cruise before with almost the same ports, it's unlikely that there will be many passengers from the previous cruise. But, of course, crew will be the same. Nobody joining the cruise halfway through. But with lots of ports there are many ways for Covid to sneak onto the ship.

That sneak aboard won't be felt till the next cruise though? As it will take a good what 5 to day 7 days to progress through the ship|? And if it coming on day 3 won't that be day 10 at the end of the cruise?

4 hours ago, ace2542 said:

That sneak aboard won't be felt till the next cruise though? As it will take a good what 5 to day 7 days to progress through the ship|? And if it coming on day 3 won't that be day 10 at the end of the cruise?

Day 2, Juneau, with 10,000 other passengers in port (based on full ships, which may not happen). I need to remind myself I should be more worried about crowds on shore than at tea on QE.

30 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Day 2, Juneau, with 10,000 other passengers in port (based on full ships, which may not happen). I need to remind myself I should be more worried about crowds on shore than at tea on QE.

It will still take what 7 days to pass into the ship from the patient zero? putting it on day 9 for a spredable outbreak within the ship?

Our son and wife embarked Sunday 24 April.

I spoke to them when they got on board. The procedure was exactly the same as we had last November, i.e queue for testing, wait for the all clear text, then finish the boarding check in.

It took just over 90 minutes in total before they embarked.

I believe they are scrapping the free tests soon and you'll have to provide your own. Don't know exactly when this happens.

24 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Our son and wife embarked Sunday 24 April.

I spoke to them when they got on board. The procedure was exactly the same as we had last November, i.e queue for testing, wait for the all clear text, then finish the boarding check in.

It took just over 90 minutes in total before they embarked.

I believe they are scrapping the free tests soon and you'll have to provide your own. Don't know exactly when this happens.

My understanding is QM2's next Southampton departure on May 8th is the first QM2 voyage where guests will need to provide their own test results at the terminal in Southampton.

18 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Thank you BigMac1953.

Yes bluemarble, that is correct. We are on that May 8th Crossing where self testing will begin.

Jack

We were sailing May 1 on the QM2 New York to Southampton and then back on May 29 Southampton to New York. If we need to provide self test for that one what’s the best way to go about getting that?  Can anyone recommend a place for a travel test in Southampton? Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Thorswife59 said:

We were sailing May 1 on the QM2 New York to Southampton and then back on May 29 Southampton to New York. If we need to provide self test for that one what’s the best way to go about getting that?  Can anyone recommend a place for a travel test in Southampton? Thanks! 

Thorswife5

You can get a lot of options in the thread "Private Covid Testing" here on the Cunard board. I've attached a link below.

Jack

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2845171-private-covid-testing/page/3/#comment-63100949

16 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Thorswife5

You can get a lot of options in the thread "Private Covid Testing" here on the Cunard board. I've attached a link below.

Jack

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2845171-private-covid-testing/page/3/#comment-63100949

16 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Thorswife5

Jack

Thank you!  I believe I have found the answer. We can do a drive through test at Gatwick airport on our way to Southampton. 

Does anyone know if passengers on the April 24 received the Cunard email re: QM2 Managing Covid on board, that offered refunds/FCC’s?

Also the May 1?

Our friends on the April 17 crossing received their email 4 days prior.   So the May 1 crossing would probably be today or tomorrow.

One of their party tested positive a day after arrival in Southampton so obviously he picked it up on board.

On edit: I’ve seen another post that referenced the April 24 receiving the Covid letter, so I’m wondering if it continues to the May 1 crossing

Edited by gkerlin

1 hour ago, gkerlin said:

Does anyone know if passengers on the April 24 received the Cunard email re: QM2 Managing Covid on board, that offered refunds/FCC’s?

Also the May 1?

Our friends on the April 17 crossing received their email 4 days prior.   So the May 1 crossing would probably be today or tomorrow.

One of their party tested positive a day after arrival in Southampton so obviously he picked it up on board.

On edit: I’ve seen another post that referenced the April 24 receiving the Covid letter, so I’m wondering if it continues to the May 1 crossing

I’m on the May 1st crossing - no letter yet.

1 hour ago, Se1lad said:

I’m on the May 1st crossing - no letter yet.

I would imagine Cunard as do all businesses, hate to do full refunds instead of future credits. Therefore, I believe this policy is on a cruise to cruise basis and if they think they can make the cruise work without a pile of extra protocols they will try to lock in as many people as possible. Eventually, someone has to decide to either keep sailing and losing a little bit of money or call the whole thing off and lose a lot of money or to drop all of the protocols, treating the virus as the flu and sail full with zero protocols  and return to profitability.

5 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

or call the whole thing off and lose a lot of money or to drop all of the protocols, treating the virus as the flu and sail full with zero protocols  and return to profitability.

How would that work - the ships would be banned from most countries - and passengers wouldn't be able to fly home because they were positive. The pandemic isn't over dispite how much we'd like it to be. 

• Like 4

Please keep in mind the communication that was sent prior to the last few QM2 voyages offering full refunds was not entirely at Cunard's discretion. It is part of the US CDC's guidelines for ships under investigation where the CDC is considering moving them from the current "Orange" status to their highest "Red" status. If that communication doesn't go out to those on the May 1 departure, it's a good sign the situation on QM2 has improved to the point that the CDC is satisfied it does not need to be sent.

• Like 2

Thanks bluemarble.  I just found out friends of ours are also on the May 1 crossing and they did receive the “Covid letter” from Cunard. 

Now I’ll have to see if I know anybody on the May 8

3 minutes ago, gkerlin said:

Thanks bluemarble.  I just found out friends of ours are also on the May 1 crossing and they did receive the “Covid letter” from Cunard. 

Now I’ll have to see if I know anybody on the May 8

Thanks for that update. We do know one person on the May 8 crossing who has been contributing to this thread. Perhaps around this time next week @Jack E Dawson will be able to advise us if he has received the communication from Cunard for the May 8 crossing.

I need to issue a correction now as I’m not certain that our friend did indeed receive the “Covid letter” for their May 1 crossing.

I looked at the text exchange between my wife and her friend, and her friend said she received the letter “a couple of weeks ago” which certainly would not have been the letter we’ve been talking about since that communication seems to arrive just a few days prior to sailing.

My apologies for any confusion.

9 minutes ago, gkerlin said:

I need to issue a correction now as I’m not certain that our friend did indeed receive the “Covid letter” for their May 1 crossing.

I looked at the text exchange between my wife and her friend, and her friend said she received the letter “a couple of weeks ago” which certainly would not have been the letter we’ve been talking about since that communication seems to arrive just a few days prior to sailing.

My apologies for any confusion.

We are on the May 1st sailing and HAVE NOT received the aforementioned email. 

3 hours ago, lissie said:

How would that work - the ships would be banned from most countries - and passengers wouldn't be able to fly home because they were positive. The pandemic isn't over dispite how much we'd like it to be. 

Read my post - Sooner or later. Obviously now when half the world is still shut down including a number of the World Cruise ports and many of the other ones would rather not have people coming in, they will have to either totally cancel or limp along losing more and more passengers who fail to see why they should pay good money to receive a half  cruise in terms of luxury, ports etc.