Harmony with a 3 and 5 year old

This is our first cruise with kids.  We've cruised many times, but this one will be much different!  Looking for all recommendations for cruising with little ones!

Does Adventure Ocean require reservations?

Our youngest will almost be 3 (within the month of cruising), will he be able to attend Adventure Ocean with the 5 year old?

What tips do you have for the room?  We have an ocean balcony.

AO on the Oasis needed reservations for the various time slots but it generally wasn't difficult getting my grandkids in during other times. Of course we were sailing about 65% capacity. Keep in mind that if your youngest is not potty trained they can only use the Splashaway Bay water park for the little ones and not any of the other pools/waterslides that big brother might want to use. Also someone mentioned that the little one needed to be 3 at time of sailing to take advantage of Adventure Ocean. There is an option for younger children but I think at least one parent needs to be present with the child.

2 minutes ago, Subman738 said:

AO on the Oasis needed reservations for the various time slots but it generally wasn't difficult getting my grandkids in during other times. Of course we were sailing about 65% capacity. Keep in mind that if your youngest is not potty trained they can only use the Splashaway Bay water park for the little ones and not any of the other pools/waterslides that big brother might want to use. Also someone mentioned that the little one needed to be 3 at time of sailing to take advantage of Adventure Ocean. There is an option for younger children but I think at least one parent needs to be present with the child.

At 2 they can go to Royal tots.  But you pay be the hour.   It is much more limited in availability and they won’t be anywhere near the sibling.   Potty trained not needed for that as I recall (since

that is with the babies too).  

Your age for a cruise is day 1 FYI.  So if you turn 21 on day 2, you are considered 20 all cruise and can’t drink alcohol onboard on US based cruises for example.   

3 hours ago, EntropyGuardian said:

I'll be taking a 3 and 4 year old on their first cruise. The oldest is potty trained so we are working on the youngest so they're ready. 

I'm nervous about the mask requirement for AO though, since they would not keep those on. 

Start practicing with them now.  My granddaughters preschool was masked until very recently.  Kids all put them on at the door. It was what they got used to and did it without arguing.  I think those little angels adapt a lot better than adults.  You work on potty training, work on mask wearing too.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, poocher said:

Start practicing with them now.  My granddaughters preschool was masked until very recently.  Kids all put them on at the door. It was what they got used to and did it without arguing.  I think those little angels adapt a lot better than adults.  You work on potty training, work on mask wearing too.

It's difficult putting things on their faces with autism but unless things change in the next 6 months it'll be the only thing. 

1 hour ago, poocher said:

Mask training just for adventure ocean.  No thanks.  

My point is/was kids can learn to wear masks, even for short periods of time.  It’s adults that make a mountain out of this particular molehill.  Kids just want to go play.

OP, I understand in your case it would be more difficult with children on the spectrum.