From 1st May no complimentary Pre Boarding Covid tests

suttonrunner

I have just received an email for my upcoming 8th May Cruise.  Azamara informed me that they will no longer be processing pre boarding Covid tests.  They will still need proof of a Negative PCR test taken within 72 hours pre boarding or an Antigen test  taken no later than one day pre boarding.  I am quite pleased about that as I  always worry  what may happen if I  test positive on the pier.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, suttonrunner said:

I have just received an email for my upcoming 8th May Cruise.  Azamara informed me that they will no longer be processing pre boarding Covid tests.  They will still need proof of a Negative PCR test taken within 72 hours pre boarding or an Antigen test  taken no later than one day pre boarding.  I am quite pleased about that as I  always worry  what may happen if I  test positive on the pier.

We have just received that letter, is it 1 day or 24 hours before boarding for an Antigen test. This has an impact if we are staying at an airport hotel before flying on the day of embarkation.  

Edited by Azamarajunkie
Spelling

Got the same email. Well, to me a positive test is a positive test no matter whether on the pier or at the pharmacy. The major difference is, now the passengers have to pay for the test, not the cruise line. And $59 for an antigen test on the boarding deck seems to be rather steep. 

• Like 5

The email suggested that Rome Airport have testing station as does the pier at a cost of $59.  I am not aware of USA national holiday rules but fortunately in the UK  (I have just checked)  there are testing stations open on Sundays including  1st May and also on Bank Holidays.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Azamarajunkie said:

We have just received that letter, is it 1 day or 24 hours before boarding for an Antigen test. This has an impact if we are staying at an airport hotel before flying on the day of embarkation.  

It is one day  not 24 hours

24 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

Makes it rather difficult for those on the May 2nd Onward cruise.  Being that the prior day is May 1st, a national holiday and most everything will be closed.

We’re on the 2nd May cruise and haven’t been informed of any testing requirements 🤷‍♀️

29 minutes ago, Azamarajunkie said:

I’ve just spoken to Azamara and it’s anytime the day before embarking not 24 hours.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Notts1964 said:

We’re on the 2nd May cruise and haven’t been informed of any testing requirements 🤷‍♀️

Azamara Testing Requirements

• Voyages starting May 1: In the interest of welcoming you onboard and starting your voyage as quickly as possible, guests will no longer be required to undergo a COVID-19 antigen test while checking in at the terminal. However, to strive for a COVID-19 free environment, guests will be required to provide a negative COVID-19 test upon embarkation. The COVID-19 test can either be:
    • PCR: Test date no older than 72 hours prior to embarkation; OR
    • Antigen: Test date must be within one day of embarkation
  • Antigen COVID-19 testing is available for $59 USD in the terminal or on the boarding deck.
  • Boarding will be denied to those guests who cannot provide a negative COVID-19 test.
    • Prior to Disembarking: Guests who are required to take a COVID-19 test before returning home can do so onboard for $59 USD for Antigen and $85 USD for PCR. For more information, please contact Guest Relations while onboard.
  • Guests that have recovered from COVID-19 in the last 90 days should present the third-party testing provider with the following:
    • A paper or electronic copy of the guest's previous positive viral test result (dated no more than 90 days ago), and
    • A signed letter, on official letterhead that contains the name, address, and phone number of a licensed healthcare provider or public health official, stating that the guest was cleared to end isolation.
  • Having a recovery letter does not negate our vaccination requirements, and we highly encourage those guests who are eligible to receive a booster shot.
  • Although many of our guests are COVID-19 tested as a prerequisite to travel to the ship, for those guests that do not have this requirement (for instance US domestic travel, inter-EU travel, or those driving to the port), we strongly recommend all guests take a COVID-19 self-test at home prior to traveling.

$59 for a £1 test is a bit steep IMHO !

My cruise we are flying out to Lisbon on Monday the 6th June at 9am for the cruise on the 7th, meaning we need to locate a testing centre open on the Sunday 5th June for a PCR. The place Ive used in the past, isn't open on Sundays. I know Azamara are not the only line on this gravy train, but it's pretty annoying. I've several trips coming up, that I will be away for a few days before, so this is becoming a logistic nightmare.

• Like 3

For those arriving at Nice for Onwards Maiden the testing at Nice airport is done in the Pharmacy in Terminal 2 and should be available from 8am to 8pm on the 1st.

However British Airways flights arrive at Terminal 1, tests could be done at Heathrow T5 and there is a discount code on BA’s website.

That aside it’s a bit late in the day for those of us travelling at the beginning of May to be making such a fundamental change especially given the inconvenience and cost involved.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, les37b said:

Azamara Testing Requirements

• Voyages starting May 1: In the interest of welcoming you onboard and starting your voyage as quickly as possible, guests will no longer be required to undergo a COVID-19 antigen test while checking in at the terminal. However, to strive for a COVID-19 free environment, guests will be required to provide a negative COVID-19 test upon embarkation. The COVID-19 test can either be:
    • PCR: Test date no older than 72 hours prior to embarkation; OR
    • Antigen: Test date must be within one day of embarkation
  • Antigen COVID-19 testing is available for $59 USD in the terminal or on the boarding deck.
  • Boarding will be denied to those guests who cannot provide a negative COVID-19 test.
    • Prior to Disembarking: Guests who are required to take a COVID-19 test before returning home can do so onboard for $59 USD for Antigen and $85 USD for PCR. For more information, please contact Guest Relations while onboard.
  • Guests that have recovered from COVID-19 in the last 90 days should present the third-party testing provider with the following:
    • A paper or electronic copy of the guest's previous positive viral test result (dated no more than 90 days ago), and
    • A signed letter, on official letterhead that contains the name, address, and phone number of a licensed healthcare provider or public health official, stating that the guest was cleared to end isolation.
  • Having a recovery letter does not negate our vaccination requirements, and we highly encourage those guests who are eligible to receive a booster shot.
  • Although many of our guests are COVID-19 tested as a prerequisite to travel to the ship, for those guests that do not have this requirement (for instance US domestic travel, inter-EU travel, or those driving to the port), we strongly recommend all guests take a COVID-19 self-test at home prior to traveling.

$59 for a £1 test is a bit steep IMHO !

My cruise we are flying out to Lisbon on Monday the 6th June at 9am for the cruise on the 7th, meaning we need to locate a testing centre open on the Sunday 5th June for a PCR. The place Ive used in the past, isn't open on Sundays. I know Azamara are not the only line on this gravy train, but it's pretty annoying. I've several trips coming up, that I will be away for a few days before, so this is becoming a logistic nightmare.

There is a well known Nationwide Testing centre (I obviously cannot say the name on here but google fit to travel Covid tests)  they are open every day including Sundays and  charge £49 for a PCR test and £22.50 for antigen if that helps.  I have used this company in March when flying to Miami and they were very efficient.

• Like 2

I assume you are referring to the one also known as another name for the Dutch capital?

The one I use in Cannon Street (in fact am using tomorrow for an antigen test for my Saturday sailing from Southampton) doesnt open on Sundays.

I'm also wary of the "results within 24 hours". On the phone to them now to ask. I dont want to be on the plan with the results come through! So I could be Saturday needed - which I cant do as my wife works on Saturdays.

Not sure why you think you can't mention the name? I've certainly posted several I found in the other CL forum. (Got me wondering now so I stopped short lol!)

Edited by les37b

Great, more expense and hassle pushed over to us for our next cruise.

Do they really think we believe the statement "in the interests of welcoming you onboard and starting your voyage as quickly as possible....."  We all know the real reason

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, uktog said:

Do they really think we believe the statement "in the interests of welcoming you onboard and starting your voyage as quickly as possible....."  We all know the real reason

Especially at a time when most countries have removed the requirements for a test on entry, all they’ve done is copy the way Royal Caribbean are now doing it but Azamara are in a different market place and should think about the way this impacts their customers.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, uktog said:

But, but...... they are doing you a favour..... £1 tests for $59 I might ask for 2 each! I am ok with surprises when its beyond their control, but this is clearly a money making exercise, nothing more.

18 minutes ago, suttonrunner said:

Yes that's the one - it is open Sundays very efficient you have to take your passport with you  -  I thought you could  not advertise on here, but  I may be wrong.  I wouldn't want to get told off!  Happy sailing for Saturday.  

Dam Dam Dam. lol It's a bit like Fawlty Towers, I mentioned the war once, but I think I got away with it! lol

I got through. 24 hours they see means it wont be back same day. I've an early morning flight on the Monday and no intention of being on a plane without the results. I was going to book 9am, but not going to risk it. They have a £69 option, but that is taking the Michael for "before midnight"

Fingers crossed for tomorrows test! (Or I wont be going anywhere!)

On my previous in January, the sailing was on 3 Jan out of Fort Lauderdale, flight on the 2nd at 9am, so had to get a test done on 1 January! I ended up with a 120 mil round trip to Stanstead. Nowhere else open on NYD.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roberts2005 said:

Makes it rather difficult for those on the May 2nd Onward cruise.  Being that the prior day is May 1st, a national holiday and most everything will be closed.

We are booked for a quick-result PCR test on 30 April.  We fly on 1 May.  That should work out to just under 48 hours between testing and boarding, so I think we’re covered.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jollyjoyce said:

Does anyone know if they will still provide the test at boarding that we can pay for ??  We don’t mind paying as It would certainly make life easier for those of us leaving home a few days before the cruise begins ? 
I could take my own antigen test with me  and do it in front of them lol 
Perhaps any of you lovely people boarding in the near future could ask the Q please?
I suppose it will all become clearer after beginning of May.

Yes, they will do it for you for $59 each and again when you leave.

No chance you can do your own in front of them. They want their $59 as many times as they can get.

Super all inclusive.... not.....

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, uktog said:

We' re doing a back to back with Azamara starting this Saturday. AFTER booking we found out that the usual $400 back to back bonus we received from them in the past was eliminated for us on this cruise. We were told this was because we booked these two cruises too close to embarkation. We booked this b2b 6 weeks prior to cruising and the previous b2b 5 weeks in advance. (we received the b2b bonus then with no problem in December of last year) ... 

We were told this was because we received a special low last minute rate and that eliminated our eligibility for the b2b bonus. This stung since I like to use the b2b bonus for an upgraded drink package. We have since decided to book our next Cruise journey with Celebrity for a transatlantic rather than the Azamara transatlantic cruise we were planning.

As you say, I think we all know the real reason for these additional assessments. If they would announce them prior to charging you, and/or, taking your money, that would be different.

Doing it after you've come to a cruising agreement with them is a huge negative.

• Like 6

We also have not had any emails on this topic at all.  I did find a page talking about Italy needing a test within X many hours prior to arrival, but that’s out of date. I’ve been able to piece a plan together based on what I’m reading here.  Added to the fact that we still can’t check in on line, it seems that communication is not their strong suit at the moment!

13 minutes ago, les37b said:

Yes, they will do it for you for $59 each and again when you leave.

No chance you can do your own in front of them. They want their $59 as many times as they can get.

Super all inclusive.... not.....

Good point, can I bring my NHS Antigen test and do it in front of them, we might have two spare at the time of our cruise.  Its exactly the same test that they use.........  I am really not prepared to lose some planned sight seeing time at our point of embarkation.  

American Queen stopped providing testing earlier this year and had to reverse their decision in weeks due to customer backlash.  I wonder if the same will apply here......

• Like 1