Viking's daily PCR testing needs to stop-- and my conversation with Viking about it

kpgclark

As you all know Viking is continuing to test all passengers (who are required to be vaccinated) daily for Covid and, regardless of symptoms, and summarily booting those who are positive off ships along with their cruising companion(s) and/or close contacts who are negative. I know the vast vast majority of customers are against the daily testing based on what I see on social media as well as what friends and family that are scheduled to sail say to me. MANY people are cancelling much anticipated cruises due to the daily stress of taking the test. As far as I know no other companies require daily spit tests. In addition no other place that I know of requires daily testing including anyone working at or visiting hospitals. You don't get tested before going to a restaurant, movie theatre, concerts etc. Minimally Viking needs to change the policy to 'optional daily testing.' 

I just got a phone call from Viking after sending an email to them last week about this ridiculous daily testing. She was nice to let me vent, but the representative is not a decision maker and doesn't know what the upper management folks are considering at this point. She is very aware that many, many customers are canceling due to the daily testing and that people have been complaining on social media. She understands why people don't like it and she doesn't know why Viking is performing daily testing as they haven't communicated the reasoning down the totem pole. She knows it is anxiety provoking to wait to see every day if you will get booted. I told her perhaps a compromise would be to make testing optional. Anyhow, she said she forwards the email up the chain but has no idea what their current mindset is. So if you are against daily testing (they don't test anyone visiting or working in hospitals folks!) send an email to them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My husband contracted Covid on a Tauck cruise that ended last week.  Tauck only tested the day before departure and there were only 20 people testing that day who were flying out the following day.  3 of them tested positive and had been sick for days. That’s a 15% positivity rate.  Scores of people were sick on this cruise but not being tested.  You could hear the coughing and hacking in the cabins as you walked down the corridor, on the busses, dining venue and bar yet most of them would not discover if they had Covid until they tested after leaving the ship, prior to flying out.  Daily testing would have caught more cases and possibly prevented more cases.  

I wouldn’t cancel a cruise just because the cruise line was being hyper-vigilant.  Which is more stressful, daily testing or finding out you have Covid the day before you fly out.  Think of the scrambling at that point.  I’d rather know sooner than later.

If these are European river cruises than all the more important to be very vigilant.  There’s a very high prevalence of the latest variant right now.  If I were to cancel a cruise right now it would be because of Covid, not Covid testing.

• Like 11

If you are vaccinated most likely asymptomatic or very mild. They don't test for the flu, norovirus etc. People are required to be vaccinated for Covid so it shouldn't be a requirement to have daily testing-optional at best. Being worried day after day that  you will be kicked off the ship is incredibly stressful and should not be required. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, rcaruso said:

Would you rather find out and the end of the trip and not be able to fly home?

That is the issue.  Even so, when the experts talk about mild symptoms that means everything short of having to be hospitalized.  There were some miserable people, my husband included on the Tauck cruise last week.  Many could not participate in excursions.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

That is the issue.  Even so, when the experts talk about mild symptoms that means everything short of having to be hospitalized.  There were some miserable people, my husband included on the Tauck cruise last week.  Many could not participate in excursions.

If you are sick, get treated or tested. That's it. Don't require mandatory daily testing. If you find out on the day before you fly home you have to wait until you are negative anyhow so it doesn't matter.

• Like 5

It does matter if you test positive early in the cruise or at the end.  You could be completely asymptomatic yet be spreading it. Dealing with Covid should be a group endeavor because you want to help protect other people as well as yourself.  Viking also needs to protect their crew.

Edited by Gourmet Gal
  • Like 7

After reading all the posts (including 'France's Finest', we have decided to cancel our upcoming two Viking cruises. The first being the 'GE' departing Amsterdam April 27 on the 'Lif', Followed by the 22-day Mediterranean & Adriatic Sojourn on the 'Sky' out of Athens on May 14th. We have both been double vaccinated, boosted, had COVID (mild to no symptoms) and just last month a second booster, so we feel confident that if we were to be exposed, our symptoms would be mild at most, but the daily concern of not knowing if you are to spend the following day aboard or be sent off the ship to quarantined at your expense is a stress that we do not need while on vacation.

The logic behind Viking's zero COVID policy escapes me, especially when...

• No passenger is allowed to board w/out being fully vaccinated.
  • All passengers must produce negative test results w/in 24 hours prior to departure.
  • All passengers receive a 'Welcome Aboard' COVID test. AND...
  • The latest COVID variants have symptoms ranging from mild to none,

I think the daily testing and subsequent removal/quarantine is an overreaction bi Viking to what was once a frightening unknown disease, that is now not much worse than the common cold, and just as prevalent worldwide. Will they soon start testing daily for the common cold and the flu?

I long for the days when our biggest onboard threat was norovirus (which is NOT tested for). 😞

Omicron Variant: What You Need to Know | CDC

Covid-compare-2908322.jpg

• Like 4

The problem with the logic of “it’s not very serious”, is that the more this very highly contagious variant transmits, the greater the chance of mutation and no one knows if the next variant will be more or less lethal.  Also, people are still dying of Covid and “mild” in medical jargon related to Covid can mean any degree of illness short of being hospitalized.  As I noted earlier - everyone aboard my recent Tauck cruise was vaccinated and boosted - some double boosted and there were still people so sick they were miserable.  I’d much rather have “overkill” than the loose Covid mitigation efforts of Tauck.  

• Like 14

Instead of complaining, cancel with Viking and go with a company that tests less.  You will not convince those that understand the science, including epidemiology and virology, that less testing is better.  If you are comfortable with testing only when symptomatic, and trust that those around you that are symptomatic will get tested, then you should be happy on many other lines.

FWIW, we did the lower Danube with Avalon and had to be tested every time we crossed borders, as we were out of the EU and each country required a negative test to enter.  We cruised in September, and hit that sweet spot between Delta and Omicron.

• Like 9

We have a Rhine river cruise booked with Tauck in June. I just received my documents and the only test needed will be the day before we are to fly home. Maybe the US will come to it's senses by then and end that test - at least for US citizens. At least we will be able to enjoy our cruise without daily worry. I am so happy it is not with Viking. And I am a big fan of Viking - 2 rivers and 2 ocean cruises. But, we will not cruise with them again until they stop the insane daily testing. We have a France river cruise booked with them for September and I'll take a voucher if they are still testing daily and contact tracing. We took a Viking Ocean cruise to Iceland last August and it was great except for the worry about testing positive. 

I am no stranger to the heartbreak of Covid-19. My mother and my aunt both died of Covid prior to the vaccines. They contracted it in their respective assisted living facilities. It was tragic - ICU's ventilators, dying alone, etc. I got Covid a month after my booster last December. It was barely a head cold.The miracle of the vaccines.

My son is an infectious disease physician and so all of our Covid information for the last two years has been through him. He told us (of course) get the vaccine, first booster (the recent one is not necessary), and wear a good mask when in crowds, including on airplanes. Everyone's Covid story is different. This is mine and my husbands.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

It doesn’t matter if you’re asymptomatic.  If you’re positive you must quarantine until you test negative if flying home to the US directly.  If you have other travels, the quarantine requirements vary by country.  I’m not sure who foots the bill and I don’t know if any insurance would cover but this is the risk of traveling during Covid and you need to prepare for the possibility of testing positive.  The current variant spreads very easily and if you’re dining or having drinks on a river ship you can be exposed even if vigilant about masking otherwise.

• Like 3

On 4/20/2022 at 9:05 AM, kpgclark said:

I know the vast vast majority of customers are against the daily testing based on what I see on social media as well as what friends and family that are scheduled to sail say to me. MANY people are cancelling much anticipated cruises due to the daily stress of taking the test.

Seems to me, if someone doesn't like the way a company does business, they shouldn't patronize the business.  

There are cruise lines that don't have the same policies - plenty of other cruises to take that aren't Viking.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Roz said:

Most of the deaths occurring before we knew exactly what we were dealing with, before effective treatments, and before vaccines.

The chances that someone like me who's vaccinated, boosted, and with no underlying health issues is extremely low.   

Here’s the data. That’s pretty close to a straight line, so the death rate has been relatively consistent before and subsequent to the introduction of the vaccination rollout. 

869759ED-3159-40AA-A103-8B39BEC37D7D.thumb.png.a0102c6f3409609fa99051d702e2cf1e.png

• Like 1

I actually am impressed with Viking on their tests. From what I have heard, they doing saliva testing.

Omicron is very contagious. In order to keep those on the ship healthy - I think they are doing the right thing.

I do know someone who got very sick on another line in March after the cruise. There were quite a few people who were sick on this ship. Most tested positive in post cruise hotel or once they arrived back in the US. Maybe if they had caught the person who spread it early on, it would have caused dozens others to not get sick.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 10

On 4/21/2022 at 2:23 PM, Sun Lover said:

So does that mean if you test positive on the ship, even if you're asymptomatic, you have to leave the ship and quarantine in a hotel at your own expense?

I don't know the answer but I think this is why people can buy travel insurance to cover the cost.

• Like 1

We're booked for the Danube in July 2023.  Originally booked in 2019, rescheduled twice.  This will be our first Viking Cruise. If the daily testing is still in effect at that time, we will cancel. Even with trip insurance, the nagging fear of having to be tested EVERY DAY would not make for a relaxing, enjoyable vacation. And believe me, if we had to be removed from the boat at any location, we would NEVER cruise with them again.

My feeling is that as long as you are vaccinated and boosted but you still want to get tested every day while on vacation, maybe travel is not for you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2022 at 3:23 PM, Sun Lover said:

So does that mean if you test positive on the ship, even if you're asymptomatic, you have to leave the ship and quarantine in a hotel at your own expense?

This is my concern also.  We are on an ocean cruise  leaving in about 2 weeks.  A recent Viking Mediterranean Odyssey cruise had covid positive passengers, and they were isolated on a separate deck.  River cruises may be different.  Here is an answer to a FAQ from the Viking website.

Guests with a positive COVID-19 test may be isolated on board or ashore—depending on local guidelines and symptoms, if any. Should the destination where the ship is located require those who test positive be disembarked—or should guest choose to isolate ashore—Viking will arrange for the guest to recover ashore before returning home once their recovery is complete. Upon their return home, Viking Customer Relations will contact the guest and their travel advisor directly regarding any necessary refunding or rescheduling.

Please Note: Guests who have recovered from COVID-19 in the past 10–90 days should bring either a physician certificate of recovery or a positive PCR test result from within that time window.

46 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

We're booked for the Danube in July 2023.  Originally booked in 2019, rescheduled twice.  This will be our first Viking Cruise. If the daily testing is still in effect at that time, we will cancel. Even with trip insurance, the nagging fear of having to be tested EVERY DAY would not make for a relaxing, enjoyable vacation. And believe me, if we had to be removed from the boat at any location, we would NEVER cruise with them again.

My feeling is that as long as you are vaccinated and boosted but you still want to get tested every day while on vacation, maybe travel is not for you.

Sounds like a good plan if it makes you that nervous but believe me, on my cruise last week we were extremely nervous everyday waiting for the one test the day before departure. Really stressful because so many people were sick.  Probably similar stress level to daily testing if the US still requires the test before return.  I would rather know sooner than later if I have Covid and daily testing would make me feel less nervous for every negative test result.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, debbie311 said:

So if you are sick half way through - what are you going to do? Continue on and make others sick? I do know those on Viking who have been put off the ship in the middle of the cruise - so if this is not of interest to you, you may have booked the wrong line and river cruising travel may not be for you.

• Like 6