Cruise Critic Sailing on Norwegian Bliss to Alaska on 4/23 - Ask Us Your Questions

kvalenta

On 4/23/2022 at 2:39 PM, rockfsh said:

Is NCL still offering dockside COVID testing for a fee prior to boarding for those unable to get a timely test elsewhere?

They are not (though information on that prior to our cruise was a bit unclear). NCL is pushing their partnership with an at-home, proctored test company, and while they repeatedly mention accepting "approved third-party" tests, the reality is that they are accepting negative COVID tests from most sources (pharmacies, doctor's offices, hospitals) that are not listed on their approved list.

Edited by kvalenta
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 11:12 PM, Uff da said:

I would like to know about staffing in Alaska and shore excursions. I'm hearing Alaska is having a hard time with staffing and many shops are closed and many shore excursions are being cancelled. I hope this is not the case, but hope you can elaborate on your experiences. 

We are the first major ship to come through from Seattle and the first ship to arrive in many of these ports, so I'm not sure where that intel is coming from. Skagway is definitely still finding its footing and many shops are indeed closed. I'll be focusing on nature in Ketchikan, though I'm seeing buses leaving Ward Cove since we got here. Will let you know what I hear.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 1:06 AM, drumming cruisers said:

How was embarkation? Any issues?

It was a bit chaotic at the Seattle port, for sure. However, this is their first ship of the season and they haven't had a full one since 2019, so I'm sure things will get smoothed out.

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2022 at 10:26 AM, EleventyBangBang said:

How full is the ship?

I saw this article:

https://www.ktoo.org/2022/04/23/juneau-first-cruise-ship-2022/

The first large cruise ship of the 2022 season arrives in Juneau on Monday afternoon. The Norwegian Bliss, which can accommodate 4,000 passengers, docks at 1:30 p.m. However, it’s unknown how many people will actually be on board. Predictions range from as low as 30% to 75% occupancy. 

Like...  that ship has already sailed - literally.  How do they not know?

Answered this elsewhere: Around 2400 passengers. 

On 4/24/2022 at 11:28 AM, Lookn4Sun said:

I hope you have a wonderful time! 

I'm interested in just about anything you want to share - how crowded it is (or isn't), shows, new things you notice, theme nights, favorite meals you had, how your mom likes it, etc. Like a few others on here, I'll be on the next sailing, and look forward to some insight!

Hi there. The ship doesn't feel overly crowded at all — we are at about 2400 passengers. There have been lots of official notices that restaurants were fully booked or events sold out, though have found that in reality if you walk up to the venue you're likely able to get in. Both comedy shows at Social have been great. I know the Cavern Club was reportedly "too small" for everyone who wanted to see the Beatles show, so that moved to the theater last night. We will be seeing Jersey Boys tonight and you will need reservations for that. A few of the shore excursions have been sold out.

Cagney's was a hit with my mom and everyone else. I thought La Cucina did a good job, though I'd give the pizza a pass. The buffet it honestly great in the morning, though if you're a light breakfast person, head to the Observation Lounge instead as it's much calmer. My mom really enjoyed the day in Glacier Bay and I also think it's quite special (get out on the bow of the ship when they open it). The hot tubs have been popular since most other outdoor water features aren't usable at this time of year in Alaska. 

On 4/24/2022 at 11:39 AM, wacruiselover said:

I hope our OP made the sailing OK. No word yet on boarding experiences, entertainment, etc. No daily from Saturday or today. Maybe some other person on this sailing could fill in some of the blanks until the OP is able to do so. Thanks in advance!

OP here! This will come as a shock to almost no one but the satellite Wi-Fi on Alaska sailings is very much touch and go. The vibe on board has been relaxed and there is always something going on. I'd say that the Glacier Bay day is the most enjoyable as you have the park rangers on the ship with you giving you lots of information about the setting, its history, and ecology. 

The comedy shows have been a highlight, though they did move the Beatles to the theater last night as the Cavern Club couldn't hold everyone who wanted to see it. That may be because Six hasn't started yet and the big-budget entertainment is limited to Jersey Boys at the moment. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2022 at 3:20 PM, wacruiselover said:

Thank you very much! We were supposed to have Company Men on our last Encore sailing last September. They were not able to perform but are really highly rated. Sounds like they will be the replacement for Six that used to be on the Bliss. Is the Beatles cover band still playing?

Yes to Beatles. You need a reservation in advance (do this immediately) for the Carven Club shows, and no res if it's in the Bliss Theater (which they did on the night of our Glacier Bay visit). Six is not up and running, much to the disappointment of my mom and many on board, I understand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2022 at 8:12 PM, PharGirl79 said:

I'll be on the next cruise 4/30 and this will be my first Alaska cruise. Just wondering if it's too cold to enjoy a drink on the balcony or dinner on the waterfront. Hope you're having a blast!! 

Hi there. It's definitely chilly and not many people have been using the outdoor facilities. The observation lounge is lovely and does provide great wrap-around views as an alternative. I'd say you might be good in layers and with a blanket on the room balconies for sure. The pool deck has been mostly empty since we left Seattle.

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2022 at 8:31 PM, kvalenta said:

I'm Kyle Valenta, the Senior SEO Editor for Cruise Critic, and will be aboard the first mainstream line sailing to Alaska this season on Norwegian Bliss. Fun fact: I'm doing it with my mom. It will be both of our first visits to Alaska, and is her first cruise. I'm happy to help answer any questions you might have about the ship or itinerary, what Alaska is like this early in the season, or what's new. Also, please feel free to pass along any secret must-dos in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, or Victoria as well. 

As signs of a Covid outbreak onboard? No mentions of outbreaks on the NCL board for a long time.

On 4/29/2022 at 9:45 AM, ace2542 said:

As signs of a Covid outbreak onboard? No mentions of outbreaks on the NCL board for a long time.

The Bliss has been under Code Orange (being monitored) at the CDC for a bit now as are many other ships. The threshold is extremely low to end up there...0.3% of total capacity. So let's say the Bliss is sailing with 2400 guests and 1200 crew, that would mean the CDC is monitoring them for roughly 11 cases onboard. I get it, they want to mitigate an outbreak before it gets bad, but that seems a little too low. You can see the dashboard here: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html#faq-1

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2022 at 9:25 AM, kvalenta said:

They are not (though information on that prior to our cruise was a bit unclear). NCL is pushing their partnership with an at-home, proctored test company, and while they repeatedly mention accepting "approved third-party" tests, the reality is that they are accepting negative COVID tests from most sources (pharmacies, doctor's offices, hospitals) that are not listed on their approved list.

We phoned NCL today to ask this question and they said they have Covid testing available at the embarkation port.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Uff da said:

Can someone please tell me if you docked near the tramway in Juneau? 

It wasn’t directly adjacent to the tramway — you have to take the provided shuttles.  The good news is that the lot where they drop you off in Juneau is at the very base of the tramway (literally 50 steps from the bus to the trams).  

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 7:45 AM, ace2542 said:

We didn’t see any signs that pointed to an active outbreak onboard.  I think there were a few issues on the repositioning cruise coming up to Vancouver, which was one of the main reasons Jersey Boys wasn’t playing. 

We were talking with one of the crew who had just come out of quarantine after testing negative the night prior.  Ironically, just as we were talking, his colleague reminded him that they needed to complete their second test.   They mentioned that the photo package that we pre-ordered was refunded as they didn’t think they would have the staff to work the week.  Needless to say they were opened, reprocessed our transaction, and delivered the photos.

Thanks for the information. I was wondering what they did about the Skagway excursions which combined the White Pass summit train going into Canada. I noticed they still offer them but were they cancelled or modified in light of the current restrictions?

Also, I noticed on board for Ketchikan is 12:45 pm for a 1:15 sailing? I was thinking it had to be 12:15 to be back an hour before sailing. If it's actually 12:45, we can take a little longer tour. We are doing Encore in July with same itinerary.

Do you have information about the Norwegian Transfer service (between pier and airport)?  How early does the transfer start running on the last day?  Did you have to wait long for the bus to fill and go?  Thanks in advance.