Cruise Critic Sailing on Norwegian Bliss to Alaska on 4/23 - Ask Us Your Questions

kvalenta

I'm Kyle Valenta, the Senior SEO Editor for Cruise Critic, and will be aboard the first mainstream line sailing to Alaska this season on Norwegian Bliss. Fun fact: I'm doing it with my mom. It will be both of our first visits to Alaska, and is her first cruise. I'm happy to help answer any questions you might have about the ship or itinerary, what Alaska is like this early in the season, or what's new. Also, please feel free to pass along any secret must-dos in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, or Victoria as well. 

• Like 5

For us, Mendenhall Glacier in Jeneau is a must. We saw it via the Medenhall Glacier Explorer shore excursion through NCL in 2019 and 2021. We will be doing it again on our next Alaska cruise later this year. List on NCL is $79 but discounts or credits will make it less. Bus takes you to the visitor center. Easy to moderate 2 mile walk from the visitor center to the glacier and waterfall using the Nugget Falls trail.

While onboard, please consider commenting on available entertainment and post copies of the daily's.

P1020370.JPG

P1020372.JPG

Edited by wacruiselover
  • Like 2

I would like to know how the ArriveCAN process works in Victoria. Did you fill it out and submit it? Did NCL ask for the confirmation when you boarded? Did the the Canadian boarder agents ask for it when you got off in Victoria. 

12 minutes ago, cc-riderslc said:

I would like to know how the ArriveCAN process works in Victoria. Did you fill it out and submit it? Did NCL ask for the confirmation when you boarded? Did the the Canadian boarder agents ask for it when you got off in Victoria. 

NCL sent us instructions for ArriveCan for our upcoming cruise. You can fill it out ahead of time to a certain point, such as all personal info, passport info, and uploading vaccination cards, then you finish and submit it 72 hours ahead of embarkation. Also, if you are a couple or family with kids, you can all be added under one ArriveCan application if you wish to do it that way. 
Yes, we must submit proof of ArriveCAN at the port prior to boarding. 
I'm not sure what will happen in Canada since we haven't gotten there, but since we'll have it prior to boarding, I don't see why it would be a problem to show it again if need be. 

Edited by Uff da

6 hours ago, kvalenta said:

I'm Kyle Valenta, the Senior SEO Editor for Cruise Critic, and will be aboard the first mainstream line sailing to Alaska this season on Norwegian Bliss. Fun fact: I'm doing it with my mom. It will be both of our first visits to Alaska, and is her first cruise. I'm happy to help answer any questions you might have about the ship or itinerary, what Alaska is like this early in the season, or what's new. Also, please feel free to pass along any secret must-dos in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, or Victoria as well. 

If you could post the Dallies for us, this will help us so we know what Entertainment is on the ship and what nights it is playing. So many shows have been cancelled because of covid. TIA

19 hours ago, Uff da said:

NCL sent us instructions for ArriveCan for our upcoming cruise. You can fill it out ahead of time to a certain point, such as all personal info, passport info, and uploading vaccination cards, then you finish and submit it 72 hours ahead of embarkation. Also, if you are a couple or family with kids, you can all be added under one ArriveCan application if you wish to do it that way. 
I'm not sure what will happen in Canada since we haven't gotten there, but since we'll have it prior to boarding, I don't see why it would be a problem to show it again if need be. 

When did you receive it?  while doing your online check in? Or after? 

21 hours ago, Uff da said:

Does everyone have to do ArriveCan ? We do not plan on getting off the ship in Victoria. We are cruising on the Bliss in August. 

Thanks Uff da, I sail in June but haven't received an email yet. I did see it online under requirements for other countries. I filled out the application online and then downloaded the app to my phone. It was fairly simple. Now, like you said, I just have to wait until 72 hours before departure. I hope that part goes as smoothly as the first part. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jetact said:

Does everyone have to do ArriveCan ? We do not plan on getting off the ship in Victoria. We are cruising on the Bliss in August. 

Things could change 4x between now and then, I'd wait until July cruises before having an idea what the requirements will be...

• Like 1

We are a family of 4, my husband and I in 1 cabin and my 2 adult children in another cabin, can I do the ArriveCan for all of us as a family on 1 account or will my adult children, in a different cabin, have to do a separate account for themselves?

Edited by disneylover89

11 minutes ago, disneylover89 said:

We are a family of 4, my husband and I in 1 cabin and my 2 adult children in another cabin, can I do the ArriveCan for all of us as a family on 1 account or will my adult children, in a different cabin, have to do a separate account for themselves?

From the ArriveCAN website:

Families

As the primary traveller, you may provide travel information for yourself and for:

• your spouse or common law partner
  • your children (or children for whom you have legal guardianship), aged 18 years or younger
  • any other adult for whom you're a legal guardian

You can provide information for up to 8 travellers, including yourself, in a single submission.

Use this when:

• you'll all stay together at the same address for the entire quarantine or isolation period and
  • you have their permission to collect and share this information

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coastcat said:

From the ArriveCAN website:

Families

As the primary traveller, you may provide travel information for yourself and for:

• your spouse or common law partner
  • your children (or children for whom you have legal guardianship), aged 18 years or younger
  • any other adult for whom you're a legal guardian

You can provide information for up to 8 travellers, including yourself, in a single submission.

Use this when:

• you'll all stay together at the same address for the entire quarantine or isolation period and
  • you have their permission to collect and share this information

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

Thank you so much!!  It seems my kids will have to do their own.

How exciting…today is Embarkation Day for you! I am curious about the Entertainment schedule.  Are Jersey Boys and Beatles cover group playing on your cruise…and what days?  We’re on the 5/14 cruise and have been watching the weather in Sitka, Juneau and Icy Strait.  Seems like highs will be 49-52 degrees high (rain perhaps). What did you need for layers for on shore in these ports.  Thanks for your insight.  Have an amazing cruise.

A question that arose in the Roll Call for the April 30 sailing - will the captain be posing for photos or is that still a "not yet" thing?

Happy Embarkation Day! Looking forward to the first report out of Alaska.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, laudergayle said:

How exciting…today is Embarkation Day for you! I am curious about the Entertainment schedule.  Are Jersey Boys and Beatles cover group playing on your cruise…and what days?  We’re on the 5/14 cruise and have been watching the weather in Sitka, Juneau and Icy Strait.  Seems like highs will be 49-52 degrees high (rain perhaps). What did you need for layers for on shore in these ports.  Thanks for your insight.  Have an amazing cruise.

Jersey Boys and Beatles cover group did not perform on the April 17 Bliss to Seattle. Perhaps , they all took a break during the repositioning cruise. This week is the first Alaska run...should have all shows.

We love Jersey Boys , have seen it 5 times. 😁. We are sailing next week, so hope all is a go for your cruise.

12 minutes ago, phissy said:

Jersey Boys and Beatles cover group did not perform on the April 17 Bliss to Seattle. Perhaps , they all took a break during the repositioning cruise.

I think someone that did a "live" thread noted that there was a cast change-over happening, resulting in no performances while the new cast quarantines and rehearses (seems like this could have been done on shore someplace though).  Maybe I'm confusing that with another ship though...