New York cruise port parking

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have never driven in Manhattan but I have heard that parking at the port is the best option.

It is -- it is easy to get to from the West Side Highway - without hitting city traffic, and very convenient both getting to the cruise and for getting on your way back home;  it is not cheap, but parking in Manhattan (especially SAFE and convenient parking) is not cheap.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

It is -- it is easy to get to from the West Side Highway - without hitting city traffic, and very convenient both getting to the cruise and for getting on your way back home;  it is not cheap, but parking in Manhattan (especially SAFE and convenient parking) is not cheap.

Whenever we cruised from Manhattan we either took public transportation,car service or had a family member take us.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Whenever we cruised from Manhattan we either took public transportation,car service or had a family member take us.

When I was single, I would take MetroNorth to Grand Central and taxi across town - now we use car service. But there are so few attractive sailing from NYC.

Edited by navybankerteacher

13 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

When I was single, I would take MetroNorth to Grand Central and taxi across town - now we use car service. But there are so few attractive sailing from NYC.

We are approximately the same age,I believe,When we were young we had no qualms about taking public transportation.I worked with a guy in the 80’s who took the Metro North every day from Hartford.

There has been conversation recently about the possibility of ships sailing from Freeport ,LI .The CT people could take the auto ferry .

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

There has been conversation recently about the possibility of ships sailing from Freeport ,LI .The CT people could take the auto ferry .

Where did you hear that ?  For starters it seems to be a physical unlikely for a cruise ship to be able to get from the Atlantic to Freeport. Is there a ship channel wide or deep enough, not to mention the need to build a cruise ship terminal?

Taking a car ferry from Connecticut to Long Island is no time saver either. The Bridgeport - Port Jefferson ferry ride is about an hour and then the drive to Freeport is at least another hour, so at least two hours total, while you can drive from Bridgeport to the Manhattan Cruise terminal in about 90 minutes.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Where did you hear that ?  For starters it seems to be a physical unlikely for a cruise ship to be able to get from the Atlantic to Freeport. Is there a ship channel wide or deep enough, not to mention the need to build a cruise ship terminal?

Taking a car ferry from Connecticut to Long Island is no time saver either. The Bridgeport - Port Jefferson ferry ride is about an hour and then the drive to Freeport is at least another hour, so at least two hours total, while you can drive from Bridgeport to the Manhattan Cruise terminal in about 90 minutes.

I did not hear it ,it has been conversation as I stated.