WIFI fast enough for WhatsApp?

twonpcb

7 hours ago, canderson said:

Stream, yes, most of the time.  Surf, depends upon the ship's port blocking and amount of traffic.

Which package do you have?

I'm not the OP, but sounds like you can confirm for me. We have the basic, Always Included package (or whatever the name). I only need WiFi to check emails every few days, to do my DuoLingo lesson (10 minutes max per day), and to check airline reservations once or twice for our return flight. I had no problem doing that with NCL's basic package a few weeks ago, so I hope Celebrity's WiFi will be at least as good. I have no need to post photos, do streaming, or use any of the "social media" apps.

I'm interested in this thread because I'd like to learn more about the original post. Never tried that.

Doug

5 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I'm not the OP, but sounds like you can confirm for me. We have the basic, Always Included package (or whatever the name). I only need WiFi to check emails every few days, to do my DuoLingo lesson (10 minutes max per day), and to check airline reservations once or twice for our return flight. I had no problem doing that with NCL's basic package a few weeks ago, so I hope Celebrity's WiFi will be at least as good. I have no need to post photos, do streaming, or use any of the "social media" apps.

I'm interested in this thread because I'd like to learn more about the original post. Never tried that.

Doug

The Always program includes the basic Surf package.  The upgraded Stream package is available for an upcharge.  I would think you would be OK with your requirements with Surf, but it is somewhat port and cumulative usage dependent as mentioned by @canderson.  If need be, you can upgrade on board if you experience any issues.

Agree also for the OP that WhatsApp should be OK with Surf, better with Stream, but in our experience consistent audio calls are best with Stream.  

40 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The Always program includes the basic Surf package.  The upgraded Stream package is available for an upcharge.  I would think you would be OK with your requirements with Surf, but it is somewhat port and cumulative usage dependent as mentioned by @canderson

Thank you for the reply. I usually use the ship's internet early, as in around 0700, so we are probably okay. I'd think not too many will be logged on then. There really is nothing to HAVE to do, although I'd like to continue my Duolingo run of about 500 days now, and it's important that I check our airline reservations for the trip home a few days before we dock at the home port.

Doug

We just did two cruises b2b on Silhouette. The wi-fi was dreadful. The basic included package will not upload or download email attachments and that includes photos in WhatsApp. I had some Elite minutes that are supposedly stream minutes but the performance was not much better and from my personal perspective would certainly not be worth paying the extra for for

On 4/22/2022 at 9:42 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

Thank you for the reply. I usually use the ship's internet early, as in around 0700, so we are probably okay. I'd think not too many will be logged on then. There really is nothing to HAVE to do, although I'd like to continue my Duolingo run of about 500 days now, and it's important that I check our airline reservations for the trip home a few days before we dock at the home port.

Doug

Congrats on the 500 day run.  I totally get wanting to continue that.  I forgot one day last week and was thankful I had a streak freeze.  

I have not tried to use whatsapp or duolingo with surf wifi.  I have been upgrading to stream b/c the wifi in general, can be so spotty.  Though on my last cruise, iMessage wasn't even working with stream wifi, so I had to resort to whatsapp.  YMMV