Photo packages

I'm going on a family cruise. I'm thinking about one of the photo packages. The 100 shot one.  If I get this can I take pics as a family and get as many prints as I want?  I know I have to be in them.  I don't see a lot of opportunities to take pics besides embarkation and formal nights, is it worth having this?  Just looking for info from anyone who may have used the service. 

• Like 1

I don't necessarily want 100 different pics.  I want like a group shot and say I want the 10 people in the shot to each have a print can I get ten prints? Can I take a pic with the 10 people in the first place? Thank you for your reply. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trey420 said:

I don't necessarily want 100 different pics.  I want like a group shot and say I want the 10 people in the shot to each have a print can I get ten prints? Can I take a pic with the 10 people in the first place? Thank you for your reply. 

You will either get a digital package or one image of the shot.  Not 10 images of the same shot.  Either way, you will have to get the copies made

Yes there can be 10 in the same photo

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

I have gotten the package one time, when it was a large family cruise.  It was well worth the money if you would be buying more than 10 or so pictures.  Depending on the ship, there can be a lot more opportunities than you think.  For example, on formal night, they may have 3 or 4 stations with different back drops.  So, you go to each station to get pictures done.  They can add up pretty quickly.

We enjoy the photo package.  It gives us a chance to take photos as a family and individually.  The best part is seeing the change in my granddaughter as she grows and matures.  We use the photos in a collage to remind us of the fun we had.  And for us it is not hard to get to 100 photos.  We always eat dinner as a family and then go to one or two photo places set up and then do whatever.  If you watch you can get good prices also.  I purchased the 100 photos for $139 for our Alaska cruise.  Either way you will enjoy the photos you do get.

We have purchased the photo package on cruises that were significant and were happy we did: DD grad cruise, family cruise, special anniversary cruise.  Any one of the people in the cabin that purchases the package needs to be in the photo.  For example, we had 4 in our cabin.  If DD was in a photo with her cousin from another cabin, that showed up in our account. 

We don't have trouble getting enough photo opportunities:  different settings of the formal nights around the ship, dining room, each port has photographer outside the gangway, some of the outdoor activities, I guess anytime you see a ship's photographer get a quick snapshot.

If you are going on a family cruise, I suggest purchasing the digital package as you get the full digital quality and have the option to print several copies of the same photo for family members in the photo when you get home.  You could also put all the digital photos you receive when you leave the ship on a flash drive and share photos with family members and they can print what they want.  The other advantage of digital photos is if you or someone on your cruise wants to make a photo book, you have easy and wonderful quality photos.

If you purchase the print package and someone in your group also wants a print, you have to scan the original and the copies never turn out as clear as the original digital copies do in reprint.  With the digital photos, we also received a digital copyright release to use if requested where you have prints made.

Hope this helps,  enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

You can have 10 people in pictures with you. 

You have to decide if you want digital or printed 8x10s.  I recommend digital because you can have as many copies as you want printed in whichever sizes you prefer.  (They supply a photo release so you can have them printed wherever you want.)

We were on a B2B on Oasis a few weeks ago.  I bought the unlimited digital photo package for our second week because we were on a theme cruise.  I had spent a ton of time customizing all my clothes and  accessories so I wanted great pictures.  

I was thrilled with my pictures.  I prefer real outdoor settings over the backdrops, but I got both.  The photographers are at the ports soon after you get off the ship.  They also roam the pool areas on sea days.  Some of my favorite pictures were taken on the beach at CocoCay.

Oasis had a photo area with large touchscreens.  Your pictures are tied to your cabin number and you use your Seapass card to display all your pictures.  You could view your pictures there anytime day or night.

One important thing was that they did not take any pictures on the last full day of the cruise.  (Their staff is super busy that day helping people in the photo dept.)

They emailed me a link to download all my pictures a day or two after the cruise ended.

On 4/22/2022 at 2:13 PM, trey420 said:

If you get a print of a pic can you still get the digital version too, or just one or the other?

If you pre-purchase a photo package, it is one or the other.  If you purchase a print or two of the prints from the kiosks onboard, you have the option to also purchase a digital copy at a discounted price.  For example: at the kiosk you see all the digital prints associated with your cabin.  If you choose one of them to print for $20,  there is an offer to purchase the digital copy of the same print for an additional $10.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2022 at 1:45 AM, trey420 said:

I'm going on a family cruise. I'm thinking about one of the photo packages. The 100 shot one.  If I get this can I take pics as a family and get as many prints as I want?  I know I have to be in them.  I don't see a lot of opportunities to take pics besides embarkation and formal nights, is it worth having this?  Just looking for info from anyone who may have used the service. 

For our family cruise, I was the only one who bought the photo package. Some photographers take several photos of the one sitting. If you can get everyone to keep that same smile, you may get 10 very similar photos you can divide up if you want the printed copies. Otherwise I'm with most of the people here where I like the digital version so I can make books digitally when I get home.

Also, just an FYI... we took a cruise to Spain, Italy, etc on RCCL and they charge a VAT tax of some sort. They said we can get that back once we arrive at the airport. Take note in Barcelona, you need to do this before going through security and you must show them your photos! We packed them all in our luggage and checked it all in, so no VAT refund for us! 

• Like 1

We bought the photo package on Odyssey recently. Printing at the kiosk allowed you to enter the number of copies for each photo. So we were able to get say 5 of 1 shot, none of another, etc. I preferred having the prepay because I found I didn't spend a ton of time there really deciding which ones I wanted. Specialty restaurants have their own photographer and aren't included as well as iFly (which is a little misleading IMO when the picture on the website for the photo package is iFly, but I was aware of this prior thanks to CC!). I would purchase again, but I could see where others wouldn't find value in it.

Edited to add: In my situation,  the person who had the package didn't have to be in the photo. Ex - I purchased in DD's name, and was able to get individual photos of DS. (Though they were in the same cabin).

Edited by cruizzing

On my sailing you could get 20 prints for $119.99 or 100 prints for $136.99  so for $17 more you get 80 more prints.  It also says for the stateroom so as long as someone in your cabin is in the shot it would count

Edited by cindyscruise
Made a mistake

On 4/22/2022 at 3:45 AM, trey420 said:

I don't see a lot of opportunities to take pics besides embarkation and formal nights, is it worth having this?  Just looking for info from anyone who may have used the service. 

As others have pointed out, it's not just embarkation and formal nights. There are photographers nearly every evening, usually several of them with different backdrops, as well as on the private islands and sometimes getting off the ship at various ports.

DH and I frequently get the package, always digital. We have a digital photo frame that we use for our cruise pictures and for us it's definitely worth the investment. 🙂 

• Like 1

I bought the photo package for our upcoming Symphony cruise  If you buy the digital pictures, how does it work?  Do they give them to you right away on a USB?  Are they e-mailed?   Thanks!

17 minutes ago, RDDAILY said:

I bought the photo package for our upcoming Symphony cruise  If you buy the digital pictures, how does it work?  Do they give them to you right away on a USB?  Are they e-mailed?   Thanks!

I had the Unlimited photo package on Oasis a few weeks ago.

I was able to view all my pictures 24x7 on the photo dept kiosks.

They sent me an email with a link to view and download my pictures the same day the cruise ended.  There was a warning that I only had 30 days to download them.

You can also download pictures using your phone while you’re on the ship.  You can only download them one at a time to your phone so it’s sort of a tedious process.

Have fun!

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 5:03 AM, cruizzing said:

We bought the photo package on Odyssey recently. Printing at the kiosk allowed you to enter the number of copies for each photo. So we were able to get say 5 of 1 shot, none of another, etc. I preferred having the prepay because I found I didn't spend a ton of time there really deciding which ones I wanted. Specialty restaurants have their own photographer and aren't included as well as iFly (which is a little misleading IMO when the picture on the website for the photo package is iFly, but I was aware of this prior thanks to CC!). I would purchase again, but I could see where others wouldn't find value in it.

Edited to add: In my situation,  the person who had the package didn't have to be in the photo. Ex - I purchased in DD's name, and was able to get individual photos of DS. (Though they were in the same cabin).

Thanks for the heads up. Had no idea specialty dining wasn't included anymore. On our Spain cruise, we had photos from Chops Grill in our package. 

• Like 1