Oh-asis of the Seas April 24-28

We’re back at it after tragedy and tribulations. Bittersweet as it’s just three of us, my son, my husband and me. Our daughter passed away Feb 2021.

We lost both our dads only a few months before our daughter, and also my dads remaining siblings in the six month span prior to his passing. All were unexpected and two of our seniors passed from Covid. 
After the fog of this past year, we move forward. I know my daughter would have wanted us to have fun. She was always fun and never waisted a moment. 💜

We are on Oasis for this short cruise. Got a good deal on a Grand Suite 2 Bedroom which oddly enough was cheaper or comparable to two balcony cabins at the time I booked.

It’s a Sky Class suite and we scored what was rumoured to have or no longer have a hot tub on the balcony. You’ll have to wait for the reveal on that one.

This is a long start and I have to rush out to learn to play Pickleball. I’ll let you know how that turns out.

💜

• Like 13

Pre trip report:

The hurdles and hoops:

Hurdles: DH had his English name on his OHIP 🇨🇦(Ontario Health Card) so his vax proof was in English but his passport info in his French name.
Hurdle 1: Get my DH’s OHIP card updated. Done.

Hurdle #2: Get his vax QR code updated. Done sameday that he called it in.

Hurdle #3: Get DH booosted because it was possible at that time that it could be added for the cruise. 
Hoops: DX for 3 adults or not? I had heard on these boards that Oasis class were doing complimentary drinks in the Suite lounge between 11am and 11pm. We always get the DX even when it was the 4 of us (that was a hit let me tell you, but worth it at the time).

We passed on the DX and hoped for the free drinks. Worst case we would pay full price for DX. 😬🍹🍺🥃

Flights and Hotels oh my oh my:

Hotels on Miami beach were far more expensive for our on beach hotel (really right on the beach was $465USD in 2019 but now over $900USD at time of booking. We opted for Hampton Inn Brickell night before the cruise. Nice area lots of great restaurant choices. They offered free breakfast, small pool, and 24 hour gym. Great jazz band was there the night we stayed.  Shuttle was $8USD pp BUT our rideshare was around $25 plus tip and took us direct to the port in about 20 minutes - no milk run to other hotels or other cruise lines at the port. 👍

Staying across the street from the beach post cruise for two nights. Taking DS to experience Joe’s Stone Crab and Santorini’s.

Flights: 

Just really expensive this time. My knee replacement surgery in 2019 regressed so much that I have 80-85 degrees flexion. This is not really conducive to sitting in Economy or any tight spaces. We opted for Business Class. I had more legroom but when the guy in front of me tilted his seat I realized I had to do some creative pivoting to get out of my seat. Bulk head seats weren’t available (and you can get bumped for someone with a disability). You also can’t sit in an exit row if you have any kind of mobility issues.

We pre-ordered a car service as we usually do, to pick us up at home, but they didn’t show. They said they didn’t have our reservation. We used a rideshare instead. 

Upon arriving in Miami, we took a rideshare to our hotel and ate at Batch Gastropub - the food was good and they had unique cocktails.

That’s a lot for now. I have to get some lunch. 💜

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Neeny12 said:

We’re back at it after tragedy and tribulations. Bittersweet as it’s just three of us, my son, my husband and me. Our daughter passed away Feb 2021.

This is a long start and I have to rush out to learn to play Pickleball. I’ll let you know how that turns out.

💜

I too say sorry for your loss and she will be watching you from above.  Life is for the living and after the last two years, we all have to move forward.

As for pickle ball I have never heard of this before last year.  Good luck learning the game and take photos on the ship if you do play.

I will get to try out the Oasis this fall but mean while did the Wonder 2 weeks ago and doing the Symphony this week.   Love Oasis class ships

• Like 1

Embarkation and the laser focussed Wedding Planner:

We were checking in at the Suites entrance at the port and while I had my head down and my hand already on my documents, a Wedding Planner nearly rammed me with a cart full of bins of silk flowers 💐. Then she told me to step aside. We were in line ahead of her and her very large wedding group and we were the only ones ahead of their group. It would have taken just two minutes for the fellow to check our documents - they were in my hands. Well step aside we did, because I really didn’t want to get rammed by that flower cart. 💐💐💐💐 Other than that it was a very smooth embarkation. My DH and DS went to get their FlowRider bands. We stopped in at the Suite Lounge for drinks and then the rooms were ready around 1pm.1D71A66B-8EC0-415E-BC63-9CE5513C9B2A.thumb.jpeg.ddd29945e3c0042029d905da24fbc74f.jpeg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Neeny12 said:

Embarkation and the laser focussed Wedding Planner:

We were checking in at the Suites entrance at the port and while I had my head down and my hand already on my documents, a Wedding Planner nearly rammed me with a cart full of bins of silk flowers 💐. Then she told me to step aside. We were in line ahead of her and her very large wedding group and we were the only ones ahead of their group. It would have taken just two minutes for the fellow to check our documents - they were in my hands. Well step aside we did, because I really didn’t want to get rammed by that flower cart. 💐💐💐💐 Other than that it was a very smooth embarkation. My DH and DS went to get their FlowRider bands. We stopped in at the Suite Lounge for drinks and then the rooms were ready around 1pm.

Not ok, Wedding Planner. NOT OK.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Neeny12 said:

Yes those glasses of sparkling wine were complimentary as is wine, beer and pop 🇨🇦(sodas 🇺🇸) between 11am & 11pm on Oasis class ships (although I heard this might not be the case on Wonder OS?) Cocktails between 5&8pm.

We do pay for alcoholic drinks at other bars but it’s not so bad because this is a great perk. 😉🍹

• Like 2

Great pics of your suite.  Bless you and glad you are having a good time.  I can relate to losing someone too.  So I know what you are going through.  

Edited by AF-1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pickleball:

First time we ever played this game. My DH is naturally good at racquet sports so he picked it up quickly. We played yesterday on our first sea day and the court was crowded BUT Pickleball players are as gracious as they are kind. They played a game then let the sideline groups play a game. 
On our first port day it was less busy with only one group of 3 players so we subbed in a player each game.

Even with the challenges I have with my knee, it didn’t seem too difficult on it.

I need to learn how they score the game as you need to shout out the score during the game. We get to play once more on our last sea day tomorrow. 

Tip: Pickleball players tap their paddles with the other players when the game is finished. 😁🏓

• Like 4

🥶 Ok the AC is just too cold and I turned up all the thermostats to the warmest setting on the dial. They must have an override setting. I tried the open balcony door trick (at least open for 45 minutes) and it still didn’t change.
We’ve had a long cold winter at home. Apparently it doesn’t want to leave because it’s zero (C or F) degrees at home 😬

The No Drink Package & Lounge Drinks Only Test🍸🍹🥃:

With the complimentary drinks in the Suite Lounge plus what we have purchased elsewhere on Oasis of the Seas, my account is still no where near the cost of the DX on this sailing. 
Trust me on this, for those who say you have to drink a lot, when on vacation, we always get our money’s worth (including lots of non-alcohol) out of a drink package. 😉🍸

The little things on this Oasis trip:

The Suite deck has towels that you don’t need to check in or check out. We’re very diligent at returning ours anyway but stopped checking out towels from the pool deck towel station. 
Magnets that hold the bedroom doors open in our stateroom. 
The wait staff gets me a surprise non-dairy/vegan dessert from the MDR each night.

C&A took care of getting the record straight on our past cruises, getting my son to Gold instead of pre-Gold. And very kindly closed my late daughter’s C&A account.

And if there was any sign that my daughter is with us in spirit, it’s finding her favourite colour of her favourite flower in Central Park. 
7BD40EB6-9D50-441E-A726-69F962681A63.thumb.jpeg.504d6ca4d3562a54e7c90070b5a308e3.jpeg

• Like 14

I'm so sorry for your losses- I can not even imagine your pain. Enjoy your cruise. I had right knee surgery and understand the knee flex part of flying- I make sure to get the isle seat on the left side of the plane. I am able to put my right leg out at times so it doesn't hurt as much. It really helps- I will also pay for comfort class if it is not super expensive. 

• Thanks 1

First of all, I’m sorry for your losses. Your family certainly been through a lot lately. 

That said, you and your family seem to be doing an excellent job of moving through the grieving process and moving along with your lives. I love that you saw your daughter’s favorite flower, and in her favorite color, no less in Central Park so that you know she’s right there sailing along with you. 💗 

I can’t wait to hear about the rest of your time on Oasis! She’s a beautiful ship. We’ve loved the cruises we’ve taken on her. I hope you do, too! 🛳🏝😎

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Neeny12 said:

The little things on this Oasis trip:

The Suite deck has towels that you don’t need to check in or check out. We’re very diligent at returning ours anyway but stopped checking out towels from the pool deck towel station. 
Magnets that hold the bedroom doors open in our stateroom. 
The wait staff gets me a surprise non-dairy/vegan dessert from the MDR each night.

C&A took care of getting the record straight on our past cruises, getting my son to Gold instead of pre-Gold. And very kindly closed my late daughter’s C&A account.

And if there was any sign that my daughter is with us in spirit, it’s finding her favourite colour of her favourite flower in Central Park. 
7BD40EB6-9D50-441E-A726-69F962681A63.thumb.jpeg.504d6ca4d3562a54e7c90070b5a308e3.jpeg

Your daughter will be with you forever..The signs along the will be reminders

• Thanks 1

Dining and The Bar Tab:

This was our 3rd time on Oasis of the Seas and the second time after amplification. Since we were in a suite we ate at Coastal Kitchen for dinner. I didn’t see a real difference between the quality there and the MDR where we usually dine. The benefit to CK was the free cocktails in the lounge (5-8).

It wasn’t always convenient to run up to the lounge between 11-11 for the beer, wine and pop, so we only got some of our drinks at the lounge. In the end for four days of the cruise, we spent about $50pp per day (excluding 18% and any over and above gratuities) on alcohol and non alcoholic drinks.

😉🍸🍹🥃🍺

• Like 2