Virgin Voyages Resilient Lady in Melbourne from December 2023

From a article in today's SMH. Link to full article.

"The 2770-passenger luxury ship Resilient Lady, the third in Virgin Voyage's fleet, will use Melbourne as its home port from late 2023, offering a mix of itineraries across Australia and New Zealand, ranging in length from two to 14 nights.

But before the new vessel can call Australia home, she'll embark on an epic 44-night trans-continental voyage, sailing from Athens to Sydney, before docking at Station Pier in Port Melbourne.

Among some of the Australian stops confirmed for the 2023 sailings is Hobart, Burnie and Sydney, while across the Tasman its New Zealand itineraries will take in destinations Picton, Napier Tauranga, Auckland, Christchurch and Dunedin.

Resilient Lady will commence Australia and New Zealand sailings from December 11, 2023 through to March 27, 2024, with bookings now open. Virgin Voyages' fourth ship is scheduled for completion in 2023".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes big article in this morning's Herald Sun about this.  Not sure that Resilient Lady is a good fit for dear old Melbourne with the age group down here.   Not sure if I would like to try her or not.  Apparently Virgin's food is first class and also the entertainment but the amount of red paint everywhere make it look a bit like an icebreaker.  They are also amending the decor after the Scarlet Lady and Valiant Lady were criticised for being too stark especially the cabins.  I do like the look of the hammocks on the balconies.  Not sure I could get out of one though.

I have watched quite a few Youtube films by "sailors" (Virgin's name for passengers) who are posting about their cruises.  Ben and David are currently on Valiant Lady and they commented that the beds were rather firm.  They have also done a series on Scarlet Lady.  Emma has also cruised on Scarlet Lady.

She would have been a much better fit for Sydney or Brisbane but I guess she wouldn't fit under the bridge in Sydney and so there would be a shortage of berths.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Apparently Virgin's food is first class and also the entertainment but the amount of red paint everywhere make it look a bit like an icebreaker. 

Yeah, that's funny. I had never thought of that, but can see the resemblance.

• Like 1

I've watched several Youtubes and read blogs, etc., about these ships and DH and I have decided they're not for us.  Don't like the look of the cabins for a start ... apparently you don't have a bed in your cabin, just a very uncomfortable looking "couch" which the steward reassembles into a bed in the evening.  Nope, I need a comfy proper bed.  Then again, I'm obviously too old for their demographic (thank goodness 😏).    I won't be booking.

I booked the 2 night cruise from Melbourne to Burnie straight away.  Looks like an interesting cruiseline to try once, in case it never does another season in Australia.  We live in Melbourne and there is hardly anything sailing from here, so will be great to do a cruise where we can drive half an hour and hop on a ship.  Super excited.  

• Like 1

When Virgin first started I didn't think it would suit me and also it was jolly expensive but having watched the Gary Bembridge review on YouTube and looked at the prices for the Aus/NZ voyages I am very interested.  No kids, all inclusive and the food looks good.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

When Virgin first started I didn't think it would suit me and also it was jolly expensive but having watched the Gary Bembridge review on YouTube and looked at the prices for the Aus/NZ voyages I am very interested.  No kids, all inclusive and the food looks good.

I like Gary's style, and enjoyed watching his Virgin videos a few weeks back. Unlike lots of other "influencers" out there, he actually says his cruise was at their expense. There lies the issue with most of these reviews - they come from a perspective of a freebie, and if there is something they don't like, they have to avoid or gloss over it or risk being removed from the list for future freebies.

In saying that though, what I got out of it was that he didn't feel out of place, which would be one of the main concerns for many. There have been grumbles about the comfort of the cabins, but he didn't even mention his, perhaps he may have avoided that as he had nothing nice to say.

I am starting to flick through some of the Virgin threads here on CC. While those videos have good info and great file footage, there is something different about a paying cruisers opinions and recommendations. I am keen to check them out at some stage, just not sure when. Cruising from Melbourne isn't an issue, but I haven't found an itinerary that jumps out at me yet.

The Mega Rockstar treatment looks a lot like the Star class suite experience on Ovation, so I am watching this thread with interest 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, arxcards said:

I like Gary's style, and enjoyed watching his Virgin videos a few weeks back. Unlike lots of other "influencers" out there, he actually says his cruise was at their expense. There lies the issue with most of these reviews - they come from a perspective of a freebie, and if there is something they don't like, they have to avoid or gloss over it or risk being removed from the list for future freebies.

In saying that though, what I got out of it was that he didn't feel out of place, which would be one of the main concerns for many. There have been grumbles about the comfort of the cabins, but he didn't even mention his, perhaps he may have avoided that as he had nothing nice to say.

I am starting to flick through some of the Virgin threads here on CC. While those videos have good info and great file footage, there is something different about a paying cruisers opinions and recommendations. I am keen to check them out at some stage, just not sure when. Cruising from Melbourne isn't an issue, but I haven't found an itinerary that jumps out at me yet.

The Mega Rockstar treatment looks a lot like the Star class suite experience on Ovation, so I am watching this thread with interest 

Thanks.  It actually looks really neat.  I'd like to take my daughter.

Ummm

This is their spiel for the sailing on 25th Dec to Tassie.  They also talk about the wilds of Burnie.

Setting sail from the gentle beachy vibes of Port Prince gives way to a stunning emerald bay which quickly transforms into sapphire waves — sweeping the Bass Strait en route to Tasmania. Upon arrival in the island’s southern capital, you’ll have two full days (and one overnight) to dive into the whimsical wonders that make Hobart glow from every angle — and at every hour.

Hope no international visitors go around looking for Port Prince.

I do like some of their itineraries to NZ and returning B2B.  Will have to decide if I want to live dangerously.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ondine said:

Ummm

This is their spiel for the sailing on 25th Dec to Tassie.  They also talk about the wilds of Burnie.

Setting sail from the gentle beachy vibes of Port Prince gives way to a stunning emerald bay which quickly transforms into sapphire waves — sweeping the Bass Strait en route to Tasmania. Upon arrival in the island’s southern capital, you’ll have two full days (and one overnight) to dive into the whimsical wonders that make Hobart glow from every angle — and at every hour.

Hope no international visitors go around looking for Port Prince.

I do like some of their itineraries to NZ and returning B2B.  Will have to decide if I want to live dangerously.  

That sounds so romantic. I am guessing many of their pending "sailors" won't notice the difference. Oh, the wonderous marketing of Branson inc.

On 4/28/2022 at 1:41 AM, onlyslightlymad said:

This is why she wants to go, leave the grandies at the pool. Asked us, I said no way i'm not dealing with the screaming for a week, then she invited us instead 😆

• Like 2