Covid test required 1 day before return to U.S.

edgeman61

We return from our Norway trip to Amsterdam on a Sunday (HAL says at or about 7:00 am).

Flights to DFW leave Schiphol about 10:55 am, too soon to fly home the day after arriving in Amsterdam (in my opinion), so we opted to stay at the airport and fly home on the Monday.

HAL is providing a COVID test to those that need them to return to their home countries.

Unless HAL provides the test the morning we disembark we will not have had a COVID test within 1 day of our return.  Will we have to be retested at the airport?

I understand the desire to assure that people arriving to the U.S. are not carrying the virus but the 1 day requirement can be very difficult to manage.

It is difficult to manage but you have no choice.  This is a federal rule not a carrier rule.  There are testing providers, for a fee, at the airport.  

I have the same issue in a few weeks.   Looking forward to any insights 

Edited by Mary229

We are in the same situation for our cruise, which ends on July 6 in Copenhagen.  There were no flights that we could comfortably make that didn't have insane layovers for that day, so we are flying out July 7.  I will be bringing the Abbott Binax monitored at home tests to do from our hotel on the 6th just in case HAL won't test us on debarkation day.  I would recommend getting some of these to bring along, as they will likely be cheaper than getting tested there and were super easy to use on our last cruise.  They have proctors available 24/7 to supervise you taking the test.  You can buy a 6 pack on eMed for $150, or find them in 3 packs elsewhere for slightly more per test.  Just make sure to bring them in your carry on luggage and not in your checked bag, as they are temperature sensitive.

3 hours ago, edgeman61 said:

We return from our Norway trip to Amsterdam on a Sunday (HAL says at or about 7:00 am).

Flights to DFW leave Schiphol about 10:55 am, too soon to fly home the day after arriving in Amsterdam (in my opinion), so we opted to stay at the airport and fly home on the Monday.

HAL is providing a COVID test to those that need them to return to their home countries.

Unless HAL provides the test the morning we disembark we will not have had a COVID test within 1 day of our return.  Will we have to be retested at the airport?

I understand the desire to assure that people arriving to the U.S. are not carrying the virus but the 1 day requirement can be very difficult to manage.

I have no answers as HAL testing on board is concerned, but maybe this helps:  Your flight leaves Schiphol at 10.55, so the best time to arrive at the desks at Schiphol is 07.55 (according to Schiphol; it will be a very busy day).  You can be tested at Test2fly at the airport as early as 6.00 AM. Antigen test costs € 58,=  (in Amsterdam spoedtest dot nl € 39,95, but they will not open early enough for you to be at Schiphol in time). You can book test2fly via the website of Schiphol dot nl slash Covid slash departures. 

4 hours ago, edgeman61 said:

I thought one day meant anytime the day before. That is why the rule is one day and not 24 hours. 

Here is an explanation which includes links to the actual rule:

https://www.mondaq.com/unitedstates/reporting-and-compliance/1139242/cdc-now-requires-covid-testing-1-day-prior-to-travel-to-the-us

The CDC FAQ further explains:

“The 1-day period is 1 day before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 1-day time frame instead of 24 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 1-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.

For example, if your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday.”

And I agree, it is a stupid rule and out-of-step with most of the western countries.

Edited by 2inSETexas
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, roxybear135 said:

We are in the same situation for our cruise, which ends on July 6 in Copenhagen.  There were no flights that we could comfortably make that didn't have insane layovers for that day, so we are flying out July 7.  I will be bringing the Abbott Binax monitored at home tests to do from our hotel on the 6th just in case HAL won't test us on debarkation day.  I would recommend getting some of these to bring along, as they will likely be cheaper than getting tested there and were super easy to use on our last cruise.  They have proctors available 24/7 to supervise you taking the test.  You can buy a 6 pack on eMed for $150, or find them in 3 packs elsewhere for slightly more per test.  Just make sure to bring them in your carry on luggage and not in your checked bag, as they are temperature sensitive.

We also are arriving in Copenhagen on July 6 and our flight to PDX is on July 7.  We already have our Abbot Binax tests.   We used them before going to the Caribbean in February and the process is very quick and easy.  

For us west coast people to get back home, most decent flight from Copenhagen are early morning or like another said long layovers. That's why we are flying out the next day.  HAL usually is docked and ready to let people off but never know exactly what time disembarkation will happen.  Also to get off in the first group, usually people are carrying off all their luggage.   It would be nice to get tested by HAL the day of disembarkation.  I wonder if anyone has been successful with that.  

7 hours ago, LindaJ+ said:

With all the testing changes that HAL has promulgated within the past month, I'm going to insist on our homecoming test be on disembark day.  We'll see what response I get.

Most ships disembark at 8am. Perhaps, its a better idea to get a test at the airport if you have a few hours?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LindaJ+ said:

With all the testing changes that HAL has promulgated within the past month, I'm going to insist on our homecoming test be on disembark day.  We'll see what response I get.

I think it's going to depend on where they do the testing.  If they do it off the ship it will be done upon disembarkation. If it's on the ship your request would likely be hard to honor.  I've had both.  In November it was done on the ship the day before.  In March it was done after disembarkation.  The tests for the B2B portion was always on the ship.  They do a bit of set up so I don't think it will be able to be done on the fly but you can always ask.

All - I encourage the use of th eEmed Tests.  More cost effective and reliable than any local appointments.  Also, YOU CONTROL the timing and can have more time to "adjust" your plans if you were to test positive than if that were to occur at the airport just before your flight.  

I suggest you perform your test as soon as possible on the day before your flight , for example, if your flight is on saturday, test as soon as possible after midnight thursday night ( ie 12:01 Friday morning).  In case you test positive, this even gives you a - albeit tight timeframe - ability to get a rapid PCR test to confirm the result and/or make necessary arrangements for your extended stay.  

PS - this same strategy/timing should work if HAL was accomodating and could do some testing after midnight on the dismbarkation day.  MAybe a late last night testing party!!!  

• Like 1