LOVE BUGS

Capt_BJ

Glad already to drove to Virginia for the summer.  The first time we experienced love bugs it was like an Alfred Hitchcock horror movie.  We quickly realized that the end of April/beginning of May was not the time to be traveling up/down I-95 in Florida.

The bugs seem episodic this year. My sister drove from Jupiter to Fort Myers and encountered several swarms. But, most of the trip was fine.

I paste wax the front end of my cars each year in April. And use my clothes steamer to remove the bugs. Works effectively, no harm to paint.

March is a bit early for them. Spring swarm is usually near first of May. Went Cape to Orlando and back yesterday <beachline> and car needs a wash with couple of dozen splats. Not too bad - WAY less than a heavy season - but will get them off today . . .

19 hours ago, cajunfla said:

Please share your method for using the steamer!

Very simple.  I make sure my cars have a good, fresh coat of paste wax. None of the spray stuff.

When I encounter bugs, I try to soap them off with car washing solution and warm water.  Then I fire up my small electric clothes steamer and use the abrasive side of a 3M sponge to gently remove the remaining love bugs.  I originally learned that trick when it came time to remove the tinting material from the inside windows of a car after the tinting had developed ugly alligator cracks.

The small electric steamer delivers a concentrated flow of steam to the bug location, loosening them from the car.  I've used the steamer for cleaning electric cook tops of baked on starch from pasta water, etc. Works like a charm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Buffalo said:

Will they still be around Memorial Day Weekend ?

Usually gone by end of May.  Usually.  Not always.  Normal Lovebug seasons are May and September, but they don't check the calendar.