Voyager's Club Changes

Morgsmom

40 minutes ago, 8420PR said:

My understanding is that the 5+5% now applies to EVERY sailing when booked more than six months in advance, so they have massively expanded the 5+5% off while removing the 5+10% and 5+15%?  Therefore based on my travel history I'm sure I am better off getting an extra 5% off most bookings compared to 15% off no bookings.

Interesting...did not read it that way at all. Well yeah, if that is the case then you are right.

13 hours ago, no1talks said:

Meh.

We have '23 booked and '24 planned. We were really hoping to score a 5%+15% for '24, since we'll have airfare to Europe as an added expense. When the time comes to pick a European cruise, maybe we go with another Euro-centric company if MSC isn't such a deal.

But, if we're talking about cruising out of the U.S., we'll tolerate some lost value with MSC, because my European wife likes the European vibe. If MSC gets too Americanized, or if the Yacht Club gets too pricey, Silversea's rates on their U.S. port-to-port selections aren't much more expensive than YC. Too bad Silversea seems to offer the P2P price on only a few cruises.

MSC became Americanised on the first Divina Transatlantic to Miami, they covered up the photos of European Actors and Actresses including Sophia Loren with Hollywood actors etc, that was the beginning and are now close to being fully Americanised.

17 minutes ago, sidari said:

MSC became Americanised on the first Divina Transatlantic to Miami, they covered up the photos of European Actors and Actresses including Sophia Loren with Hollywood actors etc, that was the beginning and are now close to being fully Americanised.

Don't quite know what year that was, but in October of 2018 we stayed in this cabin on the Divina. They must have 'stuck' the Diva's photos in our cabin.

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0207.jpeg

IMG_0229.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sidari said:

Covering up photos of European Actors and Actresses including Sophia Loren is considered Americanizing? Sophia was very popular in the USA years before MSC started sailing in the US Market.

Please provide other specific Americanized examples. TIA

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Covering up photos of European Actors and Actresses including Sophia Loren is considered Americanizing? Sophia was very popular in the USA years before MSC started sailing in the US Market.

Please provide other specific Americanized examples. TIA

Lol  people will say the fact they serve hot dogs and burgers in the buffet. Or maybe their horrible customer service...that's pretty American.

I wish they were Americanized so that EVERY decision didn't have to go back to Italy for an answer.

The reality is they are still very European. Announcements and signs are in multiple languages, many Europeans among the guests, shows are short and either singing or non verbal. 

Bottom line, an MSC cruise is very different from a Royal or Carnival cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Don't quite know what year that was, but in October of 2018 we stayed in this cabin on the Divina. They must have 'stuck' the Diva's photos in our cabin.

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0207.jpeg

IMG_0229.jpeg

Looks super nice with those great pictures!

Edited by CampNCruise74

59 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Lol  people will say the fact they serve hot dogs and burgers in the buffet. Or maybe their horrible customer service...that's pretty American.

I wish they were Americanized so that EVERY decision didn't have to go back to Italy for an answer.

The reality is they are still very European. Announcements and signs are in multiple languages, many Europeans among the guests, shows are short and either singing or non verbal. 

Bottom line, an MSC cruise is very different from a Royal or Carnival cruise.

Dirty to disagree with you.  Have you seen signs in CA, TX and other states that are multi-language. Voting ballots in many languages.

Many cruise lines have cut their evening performances to 30 to 40 minutes.

Never cruised Carnival so don't know. 

Cruised and am cruisIng RCI, NCL, Celebrity and MSC this year. 

Don't you think that other cruise lines need approval from Hq before decisions are made. I  was on NCL and showed printed proof of a concern. Guest Relations still had to contact Main Office/Hq for resolution.

You have not identified any major differences that make MSC more European. 

Not being funny. Just looking for what makes MSC so European.

Edited by Oxo

14 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Dirty to disagree with you.  Have you seen signs in CA, TX and other states that are multi-language. Voting ballots in many languages.

Don't you think that other cruise lines need approval from Hq before decisions are made. I  was on NCL and showed printed proof of a concern. Guest Relations still had to contact Main Office/Hq for resolution.

I wouldn't so much say European but I would say Italian instead.  There are many elements there.

43 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Places in the US are English and Spanish...there will be 7 or 8 languages for signs on MSC. Same for announcements. Don't see this on royal, carnival, etc.

Entertainment, like I said, is more visual. There won't be a comedian for example, or if there is it will be slapstick. Royal shows are normally 45 or 50min. Ditto for Carnival. Some royal shows are 2hrs long. Visual on MSC is, of course, because of the many languages. However, the shortened time I don't see on other lines.

On the seashore they have shows in the cabaret which are DEFINITELY European and you wouldn't see on most US lines (notable exception is Eden on Edge celebrity class ships).

Just the fact that you'll hear French, German, Italian, and a host of eastern European languages in the hallways gives a European vibe.

Same.with the way passengers dress. Def a more European flair which, since they are European makes sense 😀

Food is somewhat American but you'll see items on menus and in the buffet that are similar to European restaurants. The many pasta dishes, cured meats, breakfast foods, etc.

And lastly, no, I don't think other lines need approval from HQ. I've had many issues handled immediately when on other lines. With MSC almost always an EMAIL needs to be sent to Italy. 

20 minutes ago, CampNCruise74 said:

Edited by alyssamma
Extra quote by mistake

19 minutes ago, CampNCruise74 said:

I wouldn't so much say European but I would say Italian instead.  There are many elements there.

Yes  perhaps better. I don't mean to paint all of Europe as being the same. The ships are def more Italian than anything else.

14 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Places in the US are English and Spanish...there will be 7 or 8 languages for signs on MSC. Same for announcements. Don't see this on royal, carnival, etc.

Entertainment, like I said, is more visual. There won't be a comedian for example, or if there is it will be slapstick. Royal shows are normally 45 or 50min. Ditto for Carnival. Some royal shows are 2hrs long. Visual on MSC is, of course, because of the many languages. However, the shortened time I don't see on other lines.

On the seashore they have shows in the cabaret which are DEFINITELY European and you wouldn't see on most US lines (notable exception is Eden on Edge celebrity class ships).

Just the fact that you'll hear French, German, Italian, and a host of eastern European languages in the hallways gives a European vibe.

Same.with the way passengers dress. Def a more European flair which, since they are European makes sense 😀

Food is somewhat American but you'll see items on menus and in the buffet that are similar to European restaurants. The many pasta dishes, cured meats, breakfast foods, etc.

And lastly, no, I don't think other lines need approval from HQ. I've had many issues handled immediately when on other lines. With MSC almost always an EMAIL needs to be sent to Italy. 

No sense in going back and forth. I cruise enough to know what other cruise lines do. 

Enjoy your cruise. 

25 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Lol, you asked me for more detail...I gave it to you...now you are unhappy?

No, I'm not unhappy. I just question this statement. 

And lastly, no, I don't think other lines need approval from HQ. I've had many issues handled immediately when on other lines. With MSC almost always an EMAIL needs to be sent to Italy. 

You think, I have experienced this many times on many cruise lines.

So, why try to convince you.

19 minutes ago, Oxo said:

And lastly, no, I don't think other lines need approval from HQ. I've had many issues handled immediately when on other lines. With MSC almost always an EMAIL needs to be sent to Italy. 

You think, I have experienced this many times on many cruise lines.

So, why try to convince you.

So you think MSC is Americanized?

Edited by alyssamma

35 minutes ago, Oxo said:

What is your cruising experience?

Then we will continue.

Lol, are you for real? We are measuring now?

That's fine if you don't want to answer. I thought we could have an intelligent convo but I guess not.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

Well, what is inaccurate about @alyssamma's statements?  They seem very straightforward such that you can easily characterize each as true or false.

Alternatively, how would you describe a theoretical "European" cruise?  What features would make it European?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0207.jpeg

IMG_0229.jpeg

If you had the Sophia Loren Suite then you wouldn't expect to see pictures of John Wayne would you ... 🤔

8 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Believe me that is not true, you probably only think that because those other lines have their HQ in the US. As someone who lives in the UK and often cruises RCL I've had several incidents where things could not be sorted out at the UK office and had to be referred to Miami. I was even told at guest services onboard once that they could not action something done by my TA (I'd actually booked direct with the UK office) they had to speak to Miami!

I think MSC, like lots of the other lines has a basic product which they try to adapt according to the nationality of the majority of passengers onboard.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sidari said:
On 4/29/2022 at 1:37 AM, no1talks said:

MSC became Americanised on the first Divina Transatlantic to Miami, they covered up the photos of European Actors and Actresses including Sophia Loren with Hollywood actors

According to you we should have expected John Wayne covering up Miss Loren in her own suite.

13 hours ago, alyssamma said:

I don't disagree with anything else you wrote about on the European/Italian emphasis, except for the reference to the La Cabaret Rouge.  The cast members are all recent grads of eastern universities with good theater or dance programs (Iona, Penn State, NYU).   Granted, the general idea of a cabaret shows is European, but I honestly, the production is very American to my mind.  While the themes of the shows center loosely around artists like Monet, Van Gogh, etc., the shows follow a theme and progress logically, as opposed to the very European disjointed shows in the main theater.  We thoroughly enjoyed their shows, to the point that we went to repeat shows on the second week of our B2B.  Loved the enthusiasm of the cast, and really appreciated their coming back out table side afterwards to thank the audience for coming to the show.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JAGR said:

I don't disagree with anything else you wrote about on the European/Italian emphasis, except for the reference to the La Cabaret Rouge.  The cast members are all recent grads of eastern universities with good theater or dance programs (Iona, Penn State, NYU).   Granted, the general idea of a cabaret shows is European, but I honestly, the production is very American to my mind.  While the themes of the shows center loosely around artists like Monet, Van Gogh, etc., the shows follow a theme and progress logically, as opposed to the very European disjointed shows in the main theater.  We thoroughly enjoyed their shows, to the point that we went to repeat shows on the second week of our B2B.  Loved the enthusiasm of the cast, and really appreciated their coming back out table side afterwards to thank the audience for coming to the show.

Lol, fair enough...I guess I'm not that cultured 😀

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Lol, fair enough...I guess I'm not that cultured 😀

I have to work on putting Ohio and Culture together in a sentence! Lol

Edited by JAGR
  • Haha 2