Do you have to use your phone most everything onboard?

From what I've been reading, it seems like you have to use the apps now for a lot of things, such as booking shows, the cruise compass, reservations, etc.  I usually don't have my phone with me most of the time on a cruise.  If I go to the pool, I love to be able to just bring a very small bag with some sunscreen and my seapass card. Would I really need to have my phone with me most of the time?

2 minutes ago, Sun Lover said:

From what I've been reading, it seems like you have to use the apps now for a lot of things, such as booking shows, the cruise compass, reservations, etc.  I usually don't have my phone with me most of the time on a cruise.  If I go to the pool, I love to be able to just bring a very small bag with some sunscreen and my seapass card. Would I really need to have my phone with me most of the time?

No, not with you. Even if you do use the app to make reservations for something, you don't need your phone to actually go to the event. It will be on your sea pass card like always.

As for cruise compasses, you still get the paper copy each night as always.

Edited by OCSC Mike

On our last 9 cruises we used our phone for everything.  Menus, drink choices, reservations and activities that are happening around the ship.  I didn’t want to carry my phone around all of the time, but I really felt that I needed to.

Can you no longer use the TV for a lot of these things? We haven't cruised in a few years and we always opted to not pay for internet. Are we going to have to pay for internet now to use our phone? I always loved that cruising meant we shut them off and the outside world couldn't bother us (no email or work calls/texts).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sun Lover said:

So I assume you have to purchase an internet package to do that?

You do not need an internet package.  Keep your phone in airplane mode and you will be able to use Royal’s app without internet.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, scubaslayer said:

Can you no longer use the TV for a lot of these things? We haven't cruised in a few years and we always opted to not pay for internet. Are we going to have to pay for internet now to use our phone? I always loved that cruising meant we shut them off and the outside world couldn't bother us (no email or work calls/texts).

You really need your phone in order for you not to miss things.  Select everything that you want to do, it will be added to your calendar and your phone will alert you 15 minutes prior to the event.  Reserve all of your shows, check all of the menus.  So much more efficient.😀

12 minutes ago, scubaslayer said:

Not all ships have the interactive TV.   Older ones are just a TV only.  

3 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

You really need your phone in order for you not to miss things.  Select everything that you want to do, it will be added to your calendar and your phone will alert you 15 minutes prior to the event.  Reserve all of your shows, check all of the menus.  So much more efficient.😀

No doubt it's efficient and useful but that wasn't the OP's question. You don't NEED it for those things.

Somehow we all managed to cruise prior to the app without missing things.

• Like 8

I have never had use for any Apps.   Never needed them, didn't care to use them...until restart of cruising now with RCI.  They are making it hard to do anything without having the app.    Was annoyed at first, now I love it...can do many things on it, making life easier.  

And no, I don't carry my phone around with me.  I check account, reservations, info, menus on it while in the cabin.   And especially helpful on ships with no interactive TV.  

There are several ships that have eliminated the paper cruise compass, like having to ask for ice in the room, etc.    You indeed have to ask for them.   I don't miss them now, but the DH (Dinosaur man) loves them.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

No doubt it's efficient and useful but that wasn't the OP's question. You don't NEED it for those things.

Somehow we all managed to cruise prior to the app without missing things.

LOL...I used to say that about cell phones.  Why would I need one of those...there are payphones and my nice long corded home phone.  😄 😄 

• Haha 8

35 minutes ago, Sun Lover said:

Thanks for the info.  I'm glad to hear there's still a paper copy of the cruise compass because someone said you had to use your phone for that, too.  I'm not sure which ship they were talking about.

On my 2 recent sailings on Anthem I had to request paper copy of compass for room steward to leave in cabin every night.   Seems to depend on the ship.

I am with you I hate carrying my phone with me.     When I go to pool or sun deck I leave it in my cabin.  I really didn't use the app that much once onboard.    

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

On our last couple of sailings reservations were recommended and everyone kept saying have to make a reservation, we did it once and saw there was no one even at the doorway checking so we never bothered with any reservations after that.   Now that was end of march when ship was sailing around 80% capacity so I am sure that comes into play too.

Just now, Sunshine3601 said:

On our last couple of sailings reservations were recommended and everyone kept saying have to make a reservation, we did it once and saw there was no one even at the doorway checking so we never bothered with any reservations after that.   Now that was end of march when ship was sailing around 80% capacity so I am sure that comes into play too.

It also depends on the ship and what show you have reserved.  The Oasis and Quantum class ships, you definitely need a reservation.  For the aqua shows and the shows in the 270.

No paper cruise compasses?!?  😱

Isn't highlighting the next day's events with an old fashioned highlighter one of every cruiser's favorite nightly activities?

Jeez I must be getting old.

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

No paper cruise compasses?!?  😱

Isn't highlighting the next day's events with an old fashioned highlighter one of every cruiser's favorite nightly activities?

Jeez I must be getting old.

Yes you are!  😄 😄😉 

Hey, move over...I am older than you!  😁

• Haha 1

We don't have phones, and don't feel a need for them.  For our February cruise, we presented our docs on paper, and all was good.  Onboard we were given paper menus and cruise compasses without any question.  The lady at our table who carried a phone said she preferred the paper menus.  We never felt like we missed anything.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sun Lover said:

You do not need the phone to make any reservations.  If you want specialty dining, just go to any restaurant.   Theatre do not require reservations, it's on first come first served basis.  Other shows which require reservations there are usually staff in one of the venues that makes all of these reservations.  On Anthem April 17 sail the "Box Office Show & Activities Reservations" was in Boleros Lounge on the 5th deck.

Tried using the App and had no success in reserving the Northern Star.   As soon as the reserves opened at 8AM, all the time slots were sold out.  Happened 3 days in a row and finally frustrated went to the D lounge Concierge for help.  He was successful in getting my reservations.

I was not alone in encountering this problem.  Ps.  Northern Star is complementary on port days and a charge of $19.99 pp on sea days.  The sea day version is called "extended" and goes side to side over the water.

A bit of smirk.  My son and his family were not getting the paper Daily Planner and had to use the App instead.  I was getting mine every night as was customary.  My son asked their cabin attendant why they were not getting the paper version.  They were told that only those 65+ had the right to paper planners. 😊

• Like 1

I lock my phone up in the safe the minute I get to my cabin and don't take it out until the morning of disembarkation.  I've managed just fine with reservations, etc.  Ask my cabin attendant to provide a paper copy of the Cruise Compass, and if necessary, check the display screens near elevators on each deck for any other info I may need.  One of the things I've always loved about cruising was being completely out of touch with the real world.  I don't even want to watch any news.  It's all bad anyway - don't need that downer!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Tlbecker1 said:

It also depends on the ship and what show you have reserved.  The Oasis and Quantum class ships, you definitely need a reservation.  For the aqua shows and the shows in the 270.

On my last 3 sailings on Anthem we did not need reservations.    Only one time was a crew member outside 270.   She scanned our seapass and in we went without a reservation.