Art Classes on board

kcpvwill

Hello all

I note that there are Art classes on the World Cruise at present.  Has anyone had them on shorter Ocean cruises?  I went to one on a Viking River cruise a few years ago but have not seen any on the other VO and VR cruises that we have done.  

There were no art classes on our 6 day TA in 2021.  Also no yoga or meditation classes due to social distancing requirements.  Surprised there were wine and spirit tastings.  On our SA cruise in 2020 with 8 sea days there were no art classes but they had yoga and meditation.

There were two art classes on the SJ-Barcelona TA just concluded. Watercolor painting, and needlepoint of animals from the Bayeux tapestry. The latter was taught by the wife of the archeologist/historian onboard.

51 minutes ago, kcpvwill said:

I was wondering about bringing some materials but couldn’t decide where I could go to paint if there are no organised classes with designated areas.  Any ideas for places to paint on my own? 

Aft end of Dk 2 is often well sheltered and has lots of space so as not to impede the walkers/joggers.

• Like 1

Art classes were offered twice daily on sea days on our TA from Buenos Aires to Barcelona last month.  Materials were supplied (the instructor said she was given a budget) but my husband takes his own paints & brushes.  He also paints in our cabin with the balcony door opened.  Classes were held in The Restaurant.  Unless there are sufficient sea days (we had 10 or 11), probably isn’t worth it to offer art classes.  After the last sea day, there was an art exhibition in Wintergarten for all passengers to see what had been produced.  There were some really nice pieces.

• Like 1

I was on the last leg of the 2019 World cruise - from Durban, South Africa to Greenwich - think it was just over a month - there were no art classes, but there was a big knitting group making baby hats which were donated to hospitals at two African ports.

I would love Viking to provide art and craft classes, but on 'normal' cruises Viking is so port intensive that it's probably not feasible.  Have done lots of classes on other cruise lines, but it's always been on sea days (our preference is a cruise with many sea days!)  Materials were always provided; often a kit to buy at the start of the cruise.  

We were on the recent Panama Canal & West coast explorer and on each of the sea days on the first leg (17 days) there was a craft class. I only went to one (making a greeting card) but they had a variety of things such as decorating hair combs. I’m wondering how they recruit people for these art/craft classes because I think I could put together a good paper crafts activity.