Comparing True Cost of Cruise with perks and without

PATRLR

First - thank you again to those who helped me find the cost of the SDP packages.  That information was immensely helpful to this post.

I’m trying to decide if the “free at sea” package is worth it to us.  I’ve priced a cruise on the Encore at $3051 for a Balcony with no perks, and $4837 for the lowest category balcony with perks.  The “perks” includes the standard 4 free at sea, plus pre-paid gratuities from the TA.  That’s a $1786 difference! 

My wife drinks primarily seltzer water (non-alcoholic).  I don’t drink a lot, but, will have a few each day.  We both might have a wine with dinner.  So, I’m figuring 6 drinks per day between us (and that’s figuring on the high side).

We don’t typically do NCL excursions, but, if I recall correctly renting loungers/canopy on GSC is considered an “excursion” and I can use the Free at Sea $50 towards that (please correct me if I am wrong).

We will definitely use the SDP, I’m disappointed NCL reduced it to just 2 (but maybe that means we’ll be able to get a reservation!) 

Internet we’d use sporadically so the 250 minute plan probably is all we need.

So, here is my true cost if I buy the “no perks” cabin:

Cruise fare, port charges, taxes

$3,051

SDP 2 meal package

$214

Tips - $16 pp, per day

$224

Soda package for my wife

$67

Drinks - $12/drink, 6 per day

$504

Shore Excursion - we might use 1 of the $50/day credits

$50

Internet - 250 Anytime minutes

$105

Total

$4,215

Savings vs cruise with perks

$622

Seems like I save $600+ doing the no perks cabin. 

Where has my logic gone off the rails?

45 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

First - thank you again to those who helped me find the cost of the SDP packages.  That information was immensely helpful to this post.

I’m trying to decide if the “free at sea” package is worth it to us.  I’ve priced a cruise on the Encore at $3051 for a Balcony with no perks, and $4837 for the lowest category balcony with perks.  The “perks” includes the standard 4 free at sea, plus pre-paid gratuities from the TA.  That’s a $1786 difference! 

My wife drinks primarily seltzer water (non-alcoholic).  I don’t drink a lot, but, will have a few each day.  We both might have a wine with dinner.  So, I’m figuring 6 drinks per day between us (and that’s figuring on the high side).

We don’t typically do NCL excursions, but, if I recall correctly renting loungers/canopy on GSC is considered an “excursion” and I can use the Free at Sea $50 towards that (please correct me if I am wrong).

We will definitely use the SDP, I’m disappointed NCL reduced it to just 2 (but maybe that means we’ll be able to get a reservation!) 

Internet we’d use sporadically so the 250 minute plan probably is all we need.

So, here is my true cost if I buy the “no perks” cabin:

Cruise fare, port charges, taxes

$3,051

SDP 2 meal package

$214

Tips - $16 pp, per day

$224

Soda package for my wife

$67

Drinks - $12/drink, 6 per day

$504

Shore Excursion - we might use 1 of the $50/day credits

$50

Internet - 250 Anytime minutes

$105

Total

$4,215

Savings vs cruise with perks

$622

Seems like I save $600+ doing the no perks cabin. 

Where has my logic gone off the rails?

Your logic seems spot on!. However, you will be booking a GTY/Sailaway cabin which NCL will be picking for you. You will have no say where you end up.

If you choose the cabin with perks, your cost will actually be $395.20 more than the no perk cabin. Your drink cost will be less (your estimated $504.00- $277.20 for gratuities on drink package=$226.80.  $622.00-$226.80=$395.20.

So, it may or may not be the best $400.00 you ever spent, depending on cabin assignment. Good luck!

• Like 1

When the price difference is somewhat small, we would always opt for the choice that frankly gives more choice. Drink package doesn't limit you both to 3 drinks per day, so if you wanted a mimosa with breakfast, a frozen drink by the pool, beer with lunch, and wine with dinner... go for it. No one is counting, and it's your vacation so you could do/eat/drink what you want without having to mentally calculate the cost and whether you woulda/coulda/shoulda.

But, to each their own. Easy for me to spend your $400 for you. I also personally like having control over my room location, but again, that's me.

Does anyone know if you're still eligible for the upgrade advantage with the sailaway rates?

• Like 2

We rarely drink and don't drink soft drinks, so that part is easy. We always say no to that benefit. We like to pick our own cabin, but if we got the cruise for a huge bargain, we would give that privilege up. We are going to be on an 11 night transatlantic that was $306 for Balcony (OB) or $340 full balcony. How's that for a bargain?  We put a 24 hour hold on it to be sure the airfares weren't crazy and they weren't!

50 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

We rarely drink and don't drink soft drinks, so that part is easy. We always say no to that benefit. We like to pick our own cabin, but if we got the cruise for a huge bargain, we would give that privilege up. We are going to be on an 11 night transatlantic that was $306 for Balcony (OB) or $340 full balcony. How's that for a bargain?  We put a 24 hour hold on it to be sure the airfares weren't crazy and they weren't!

Is that per day or for the whole cruise? If for the whole cruise, you hit the jackpot!!

9 hours ago, cruiserbear55 said:

Your logic seems spot on!. However, you will be booking a GTY/Sailaway cabin which NCL will be picking for you. You will have no say where you end up.

We are OK with that - we used to do it all time before Free at Sea and similar programs changed the equations.

If you choose the cabin with perks, your cost will actually be $395.20 more than the no perk cabin. Your drink cost will be less (your estimated $504.00- $277.20 for gratuities on drink package=$226.80.  $622.00-$226.80=$395.20.

I'm not following this and I really want to.  I'm not sure why I'd be subtracting the tip price of the drink package from the cost of individually purchased drinks.   If I get the cruise with perks, I won't be spending the $504 because those drinks are included.   Maybe you are thinking if I get the cruise with perks I wouldn't get the drink package perk?   That scenario would lower my initial cost by $277, but then I need to add in the $504 for individually purchased drinks and $67 for soda package for my wife, so the numbers go up, not down. 

I appreciate your feedback, please let me know if I misunderstood something.  

Edited by PATRLR

8 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

When the price difference is somewhat small, we would always opt for the choice that frankly gives more choice. Drink package doesn't limit you both to 3 drinks per day, so if you wanted a mimosa with breakfast, a frozen drink by the pool, beer with lunch, and wine with dinner... go for it. No one is counting, and it's your vacation so you could do/eat/drink what you want without having to mentally calculate the cost and whether you woulda/coulda/shoulda.

Yeah, I get this point and it's a good one.  But for us, even if the savings is only $400, the "counting drinks" won't happen because I know I could nearly double the number of drinks and still not be spending more.  As it is, I think the 6 drinks per day is very high for us.  We just don't drink a lot.

For us, the more important point is whether $600 (or $400) is worth it to pick my cabin.  

Is that per day or for the whole cruise? If for the whole cruise, you hit the jackpot!!

$340 for a full balcony eleven nights.  We also were able to choose the location, so not a guarantee. Adding fees, that totalled $1,007 for two people for the entire trip. An obstructed balcony was $306. That was the Crown and Anchor member price. That's the lowest transatlantic we have ever been on! I'm the queen of bargain travel. 😅

• Like 3

Is NCL not doing airfare now with cruises? I'm not sure if/how that would factor into things.

The reason I love the drink package even though I'm not a big drinker is the freedom to try different things and not having to finish them if I don't like them. I can understand where people don't want to spend it, though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ndirish88 said:

If you buy the soda package for the wife, doesn't it have to be purchased for both people in the cabin? So I think you would have to pay for the soda package x 2.

I'm pretty sure the soda is allowed to be bought for 1 person in the cabin and not the other, but alcohol has to be all or nothing.

22 hours ago, ndirish88 said:

If you buy the soda package for the wife, doesn't it have to be purchased for both people in the cabin? So I think you would have to pay for the soda package x 2.

I don't think this is the case.  I thought I'd bought it for just one passenger in the past.  Further, when looking at the NCL site, the alcohol packages have this text "Beverage packages must be purchased for all guests staying within the same stateroom, additional stateroom, adjoining stateroom or travel with." - the soda package does not.  

Thanks for the feedback.

22 hours ago, brookie848 said:

Is NCL not doing airfare now with cruises? I'm not sure if/how that would factor into things.

They are, but, airfare is something I want 100% control over so will always book my own.  

Thank you to everyone for all the feedback.  To circle back on this...

I said above that this came down to whether $600 was worth saving for letting NCL pick my cabin.  Well, as it turns out the category we were quoted was BB with no "free at sea" perks, not BX.  So, we did get to pick our cabin (and saved the $600+).  Category BB on the November 13 Encore sailing - thrilled to be returning to cruising.

5 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I said above that this came down to whether $600 was worth saving for letting NCL pick my cabin.  Well, as it turns out the category we were quoted was BB with no "free at sea" perks, not BX.  So, we did get to pick our cabin (and saved the $600+).  Category BB on the November 13 Encore sailing - thrilled to be returning to cruising.

Awesome, don't forget to circle back and give your real world results. 

One thought you may have missed (though minor):

ARE GRATUITIES INCLUDED IN THE SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE PRICE?

No, a 20% gratuity and specialty service charge will be automatically added to the cost of your package.

50 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

If you're good with the numbers, then go for it. There's no one-size-fits-all, but I think it's clear that enough people like the FAS deals that many cruisers (if not most) are willing to choose this. NCL constantly hawks these benefits and they appear to be quite popular. I don't have scientific data to back this up, but I'm willing to bet that many people drink WAY more than you and your wife. So they'd blow through that $600 savings in no time. But this thread is about what works best for YOU, and for YOU, it seems like the better deal is to decline the Free at Sea perks. Have a great cruise!

18 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I don't have scientific data to back this up, but I'm willing to bet that many people drink WAY more than you and your wife. So they'd blow through that $600 savings in no time. 

No doubt about it.  In our younger days my wife and I would easily blow through that $600 and that would be at 1980s prices 🙂 !

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, weltek said:

One thought you may have missed (though minor):

ARE GRATUITIES INCLUDED IN THE SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE PRICE?

No, a 20% gratuity and specialty service charge will be automatically added to the cost of your package.

Hmmm... I think you found a minor mistake.  I intended to have the gratuities in there, I used $106.80 pp for a 2 meal package.  It appears the actual number is 116.80.  

I booked without free at sea on my prior sailing. About a month out, the price dropped for a slightly upgraded cabin with the drink package. Norwegian will gladly let you upgrade your room, as long as the upgrade costs money. 

For example, if my original booking was $2000 (no drinks), and an upgraded cabin with drinks costs more than $2000, I can pay to upgrade and get the drinks package. 

As long as you don't need to book a certain type of cabin, like an aft balcony, then I recommend getting the cheapest cabin you can get and keep an eye on prices. Chances are they will drop as they try to fill up the ship last minute. (At least for sailings in 2022). You might get those drinks for a lot cheaper.