No drink packages "Due to Restrictions on beverages"

Soflosue

We are cruising the Mediterranean on the Riviera, leaving from Rome on May 17, 2022.  When I select the drink packages, I get this message and it takes me back to my booking.  Can anyone explain what is happening?

Also, what can I expect to pay for non-alcoholic and alcoholic drinks onboard?

Thanks for any clarifications!

Sue

Edited by Soflosue
accidentally left unsigned

Cannot help with the message  perhaps they are working on the site  as usual on weekend & get some crazy things happening

I would call O  or your TA  to book the package you want

non alcoholic drinks are no charge

you can view  the drink menus  to give you an idea of prices

https://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_21_menus.htm#main

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Cannot help with the message  perhaps they are working on the site  as usual on weekend & get some crazy things happening

Wine list?.

Yes, there is a wine list!  We usually order a bottle or two from the list.  Once when we had a ton of OBC we went to the high end (impressing the wine steward no end) but usually I go for the middle of the list.

Yes, the wines are more expensive than you would pay at your local liquor store!

Bear in mind that the liquor packages give you wine BY THE GLASS, with a limited choice (I'm not saying the choices are bad because we've never taken a package) and of course liquor at the bars is also by the glass.  Don't forget there are frequent 2/1 offers at the bars during Happy Hours.

But this is why we've never taken a package.  DH drinks very little, I drink more.  So I will bring on a bottle or two for consumption in the room, and if we are in a suite will take advantage of the 6 bottle offer.  I rarely order wine by the glass, I prefer to buy a bottle and stretch it over 2-3 meals.

But that's me!

As Lyn said, non-alcoholic drinks are no charge.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KatieBelle said:

And that's how it should be done!

Not everyone  drinks  a lot

We usually have a glass  with dinner & get them to store the bottle for another night 

DH may have 2 glasses  some nights

As always  YMMV

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Not everyone  drinks  a lot

We usually have a glass  with dinner & get them to store the bottle for another night 

DH may have 2 glasses  some nights

As always  YMMV

With the understanding that “a lot” means different things to different people:

My unofficial calculation is that a 750 ml bottle contains about 4-5 “average” (IMO) glasses of wine. 

For some, thats roughly a couple of glasses per each of two folks over the course of a long dinner in one of the specialty or GDR restaurants. (after all, we’re walking “home.”  And, if it’s my own stock and the wine steward  is unfamiliar with it, I always offer him/her some as well. 

Of course, there are occasions when more than one wine is preferable for a particular menu or you want to start off with a sparkler or finish with something delightful (like lemoncello or an espresso with sambuca). And those are the situations where we would have O store the unused portion(s) of the wine.

In any case, wine (including how much) is an individual choice. But, my concern for my fellow passengers is that “life is too short to drink bad wine.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

With the understanding that “a lot” means different things to different people:

My unofficial calculation is that a 750 ml bottle contains about 4-5 “average” (IMO) glasses of wine. 

But you are special 🤠

I cannot handle more than 1 glass of wine at dinner

Do not assume everyone is like you 🤔

To be specific, in a regular 750 milliliter bottle there are about 25.4 U. S. Fluid ounces. In some restaurants, with “ heavier “ pours, one may get five (5) ounce pours, therefore a typical bottle of wine yields 5 glasses. However, in a larger majority of fine restaurants serving fine wines, the pours are typically about four (4) ounces apiece, or six (6) glasses per bottle. This is especially important at a table of four where everyone gets one glass and the remaining is split according to preference. Perhaps an extra half glass each, or in Lyn’s case, some have no more and others enjoy two glasses.

Unless it’s a very inexpensive wine, where  we are charging our bottle cost per glass, my customer restaurants rarely do five ounce pours.  Oceania wines, by the glass, do fall primarily in this lower quality category, but pours are still around 4 oz aboard ship. When lucky, the hand can get heavier.

33 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

To be specific, in a regular 750 milliliter bottle there are about 25.4 U. S. Fluid ounces. In some restaurants, with “ heavier “ pours, one may get five (5) ounce pours, therefore a typical bottle of wine yields 5 glasses. However, in a larger majority of fine restaurants serving fine wines, the pours are typically about four (4) ounces apiece, or six (6) glasses per bottle. This is especially important at a table of four where everyone gets one glass and the remaining is split according to preference. Perhaps an extra half glass each, or in Lyn’s case, some have no more and others enjoy two glasses.

Unless it’s a very inexpensive wine, where  we are charging our bottle cost per glass, my customer restaurants rarely do five ounce pours.  Oceania wines, by the glass, do fall primarily in this lower quality category, but pours are still around 4 oz aboard ship. When lucky, the hand can get heavier.

Thanks for clarity. I seem to remember that caterers will say “figure 4 glasses per person” should work out across a variety of imbibers.

• Like 1

Then there  is the thought that  a good wine needs to be decanted.... and once opened the bottle is well..Use it or loose it i  because in several hours, even with nitrogen inserts   and refrigeration    the wine will be 

e  getting poorer and poorer hour by hour......... 18 to 20 hours later.....    Maybe if your drinking white Satin..... or boons farm...... 

As in you  can not put the genie back in the bottle and expect him to perform the next day the same....... 

Edited by Hawaiidan

12 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Then there  is the thought that  a good wine needs to be decanted.... and once opened the bottle is well..Use it or loose it i  because in several hours, even with nitrogen inserts   and refrigeration    the wine will be 

e  getting poorer and poorer hour by hour......... 18 to 20 hours later.....    Maybe if your drinking white Satin..... or boons farm...... 

As in you  can not put the genie back in the bottle and expect him to perform the next day the same....... 

If my Boone’s Farm runs out, I’ll pull out a bottle of Blue Nun or Mateus.

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If my Boone’s Farm runs out, I’ll pull out a bottle of Blue Nun or Mateus.

Spoken as only a  true epicurean  could......  Say...it that famous Richmond emporium of fine sprits , BK liquor still serving  the  palettes of locals 24/7.  ?     ( you can pick up a bottle on your way to visit friends and relatives in St Quinten.... last stop.)

2 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Spoken as only a  true epicurean  could......  Say...it that famous Richmond emporium of fine sprits , BK liquor still serving  the  palettes of locals 24/7.  ?     ( you can pick up a bottle on your way to visit friends and relatives in St Quinten.... last stop.)

The liquor store is still there although I think it now shares the same name as “The Spot” bar next door. 
Sadly, the Hotel Mac was a victim of the Pandemic. 

30 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The liquor store is still there although I think it now shares the same name as “The Spot” bar next door. 
Sadly, the Hotel Mac was a victim of the Pandemic. 

My car one late night broke down for a moment in front of BK..... and some how , like Ishmale, I survived to tell thee my tale...........clearly divine intervention prevailed.

We spent our honeymoon in Laguna Beach 54 years ago! We drove there from Long Beach, ca in my ford falcon. My father in law gifted us a case of Lancers, loved the bottles, used them as vases or made into candles! Last year I purchased a bottle to see if we still liked it, was awful! How our tastes have changed. For years Iwas a San Francisco based tour guide. Spent many hours taking groups to Napa and Sonoma. Learned so much about wine and enjoyed tasting too! We have taken land trips around Europe too! Tasting wine in Champagne, Bordeaux and Burgundy 

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

My car one late night broke down for a moment in front of BK..... and some how , like Ishmale, I survived to tell thee my tale...........clearly divine intervention prevailed.

Point Richmond (aka Poor Man’s Tiburon) has a colorful history and remains an unusual place.

For those unfamiliar with our little village, know that it’s so small that the town square is a triangle and, at least during budget crises, our fire station may be closed several days per week. We have only one organized sports “little league,” which is youth sailing.

Most importantly however (particularly if you’ve got kids/grandkids), Pt Richmond is where Pixar Animation began, which is why (in all the early feature length movies like Toy Story) you’ll find key landmarks/reminders like the Park Place Barber Shop and, of course, the now long gone “Hidden City Café.”

On 4/29/2022 at 9:53 PM, LHT28 said:

Thank you!  I did get with our TA. I don’t think we can drink enough wine to make the packages a good value for us.
I’m curious to see if our upcoming cruise May 17 on the Riviera also will have the Special Wine events and offers your link showed from 2021. Thank you for the link!

This is our first I Oceania cruise. And it’s right around the corner! ❤️

17 minutes ago, Soflosue said:

Thank you!  I did get with our TA. I don’t think we can drink enough wine to make the packages a good value for us.
I’m curious to see if our upcoming cruise May 17 on the Riviera also will have the Special Wine events and offers your link showed from 2021. Thank you for the link!

This is our first I Oceania cruise. And it’s right around the corner! ❤️

Hope you enjoy the cruise

Yes  the Priesmans blog  (link I posted )  is great

He always does a good job of getting photos of everything

he is  my go to guy for photos