Alaskan cruise 2024 questions.

miyanc

So I am at the very early stages of research. I have travels to many location on 5 different companies.  This will be the first Alaskan.

I understand asking which is the best, is kind of like getting opinions on vanilla ice cream.  Everyone has an opinion, nobody is right and everyone is wrong.  This is a forum...

So which is the best....jk. having been on almost 20 cruises, I am aware of the differences in ships (old, new, small, large and so on). I am also aware of what most brands bring to the show. We have loved royal recently because of the oasis ships.  Good time family fun.  Oddly though, it's mostly because we are not pool/beachy people, so we like having things to do when we aren't reading, relaxing and listening.  We loved the concept of a fun filled party that magically dropped you off at new places.  

So for this cruise I elected to do Alaska, 1 because it will be around my 50th and 2 because it's generally more our speed.  

We like cooler temps. We want to soak up the hillsides, look out for wildlife and general eat good and hang out.  I have always wanted to go to alaska.  Mainly more mccandless style but I saw the movie and prefer the titanic.  

So nothing is set in stone, but so far I am wanting a 1 way in may, maybe southbound, with a cruise tour and I am thinking holland, but just started looking at celebrity and princess.  We have cruised with celebrity a few times, and actually we're on the millennium shortly after it dropped, within 6 months.  

My questions are as such:

When do other companies start booking for may of 2024?ncl seems to be the only 1's out that far.  I figured 12-18 months, but wasn't sure if they all popped at a specific time of year for those seasons. 

Are there any known ships being released that will be switching to alaska?  Being that I can only see ncl and other cruise companies are either still 22 or barely 23 I didn't know the scuttlebutt.   I know covid has pushed stuff back and around.  

Holland has cruise tours put together with cruises, and maybe other do as well, but is that generally the better practice vs booking 1 then the other? Historically I have sometimes booked excursions with and without going thru the cruise companies.   Sometimes saving money and still going along with the others from our boat.   My initial thoughts are to keep it simple and add the days onto the trip thru the cruise.  

Thanks if you got this far and thanks again in advance if you respond.  

Based on years old info avoid Wards Cove which is out of town in Ketchikan. Based on this year's short history avoid Princess ships with engine problems. Also watch for construction updates in Denali or Skagway and covid in Canada which hopefully are not likely.

Doing your own tour part with rental car and self booked hotels is pretty easy with much more freedom of what to see and when to see it. With Milepost from library  the roads are easy but the time driving takes a long time either by bus or car. Only 30% of people see Denali because of clouds so give yourself the best chance. sightcrr

Edited by SightCRR

Alaska cruises are different in that the real focus is onshore. So the ship as playground is not as much an issue- at least to my mind. After a long day of touring we mostly want to collapse. As far as excursions- we generally book with local companies- usually smaller groups and often cheaper. This is as true in Alaska as it is in other places. Pre or post trips are a bit more complicated at this point with CoVid issues- testing and paperwork. Who knows what the situation will be in 2024- hopefully the virus will have mostly gone into hiding. That would certainly make me lean towards booking with the cruise line- just one less set of things to worry about.

Viking is another line that has listed it's 2024 cruises. Don't know about when the others will come out but would think it would be soon. Rather surprised that they aren't already. 

My preference is smaller ships- less problem getting on and off at ports. Also having a naturalist onboard is something I think is important (last I heard, NCL did NOT have one). They can bring what you are seeing to life and are often great at wildlife spotting. Beyond that- itinerary, itinerary, itinerary, price. Glacier Bay is usually considered that gold standard- and it is quite magnificent. Only a very few lines are allowed to enter GB each year. Most cruise lines stop in the same ports. And agree that a one-way is good- less time back tracking. Recommend ending in Vancouver BC as opposed to Seattle (not sure that there are 1 way trips ending in Seattle) since that last day of cruising through the southern inner passage is really beautiful. 

Just my experience and observation after 11 cruises to/from  Alaska. To me the huge ships are not the way you want to take this journey. You would miss the Inside Passage which has not only absolutely fabulous scenery but many whale sightings and the fun of watching the pilots venture out of the wilderness to board the ship. Also sightings  of small cargo ships and barges servicing the coast. Also the large ships cannot access all the points of interest as mentioned previously, National Glacier Park with Ranger on board to tell the story of what you are seeing and watching for wildlife sightings to alert you cannot be replicated anywhere else that we have seen. also they are available to answer your questions etc. College Fjord is also a must in my books as is Skagway the starting point of the Yukon Gold Rush.  In Juneau (when we were able to walk without aids) we would go to Mendenhall Glacier and walk to the waterfall and also take in the Interpretation Centre there complete with movies and exhibits certainly worth a visit and not rushed if you aren't on a tour we always went on our own. Juneau is a very walkable town with lots of interesting old saloons/hotels etc. If you stop in Ketchican the walk up to the lookout gives you a magnificent view, some fantastic totem poles up there also.  Enjoy Alaska, it has changed a lot since our first visit in 2005 and should be seen at least once in a lifetime IMO.

Have a fun filled adventure on your Alaskan journey.

14 hours ago, miyanc said:

So I am at the very early stages of research. 

Everyone has an opinion, nobody is right and everyone is wrong.  This is a forum...

.  We loved the concept of a fun filled party that magically dropped you off at new places.  

We like cooler temps.  

So nothing is set in stone, but so far I am wanting a 1 way in may, maybe southbound, with a cruise tour and I am thinking holland, 

Are there any known ships being released that will be switching to alaska?  

My initial thoughts are to keep it simple and add the days onto the trip thru the cruise.  

Thanks if you got this far and thanks again in advance if you respond.  

Planning for 2024.  Just keep checking for the itineraries.  There haven’t been many changes for 2022 or 2023.  The cruise lines are still getting their sea legs after shutting down for pandemic.  There are a lot of ships cruising in Alaska, small is generally better.  Glacier Bay National Park should be on your itinerary.  

You mentioned Holland America and they have been sailing in Alaska for 75 years.  Their ships are pretty sturdy and they have lots of outside viewing areas.   Their land tours are very well organized and generally offer ample free time for what you choose to do.

You mentioned going into the wild on a cruisetour to Denali.  Holland has lots of options added to those Denali tours some going on to Fairbanks, some to Dawson City in the Yukon.  Planes, trains, and busses will magically transport you to new places.  The Yukon tours might be more like a fun filled party since they have a journey host to keep your traveling  group entertained and informed.

Many choices.   On land tours two nights at each location will give you one complete day, three nights in Denali will give you two complete days.  

If you decide to rent a car and do your own planning you will need to plan far ahead and do a lot of research and planning.  Gray Line Tours in Alaska is a HAL/Princess separate entity for land tours only.  There are also others.   

The state of Alaska offers a lot of visitor information online.  Have fun planning your next adventure.

Not interested in viking or Oceania.  At this point princess and Hal. With yet to be looked at: celebrity, royal and ncl.  Also not interested in carnival. Never cruised MSc not sure they go to alaska. 

You have lots of time to plan.  I usually start about a year out.  Hal is a good choice.  If your itinerary stops in Ketchikan, avoid Royal/NCL.  They dock about 7 miles out of town.  

If you want to cruise Tracy Arm up to Sawyer glacier, via a small boat excursion, sail mid-July/August.  Less ice and you will most likely go to the end.  HAl offered this on their R/T out of Vancouver.  

Many people do book independent excursions in Alaska without worry.  The vendors rely on repeat business.  Have fun..

I just saw you are looking at May.  Don't go too early in May.  Somethings are not open I have read.

Edited by Dancing Shoes

If doing Alaska for your 50th do the Haven with NCL. Great experience and you get tons of space to yourself since the top front of the ship is exclusive to the Haven guests. 

Main reason we didn't do the Haven this summer is we were taking the kids this time who couldn't be vaccinated yet and at the time NCL was still vaccinated only for the requirements. 

2 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

If doing Alaska for your 50th do the Haven with NCL. Great experience and you get tons of space to yourself since the top front of the ship is exclusive to the Haven guests. 

Main reason we didn't do the Haven this summer is we were taking the kids this time who couldn't be vaccinated yet and at the time NCL was still vaccinated only for the requirements. 

We will have the kids.  We'll 1 kid will be 12 the other 20, so not a kid.  

17 hours ago, miyanc said:

We will have the kids.  We'll 1 kid will be 12 the other 20, so not a kid.  

If you go during certain times to Alaska they do discounts on the 3rd/4th passenger which makes them "free". You can get 1 or 2 room suites with them. The edge season helps drive down the cost.

We went last September to Alaska and had a great time.

Benefit of the Haven for the 12/20 year old is they could go to dinner at the Haven restaurant by themselves I believe and they have a private pool in the Haven area as well for Haven only guests which is indoors.

Highly recommend for Alaska and includes Glacier Bay on lots of their cruises.

• 1 month later...

Same thing @miyanc  2024 for us due to $.

Princess, HAL are top choices.  What are thoughts on RCCL?  Does NCL make the cut for tours?  Haven't thought about Celebrity (never cruised with them but have with RCCL and NCL + Carnival).

I think we prefer a packaged cruisetour vs booking our own.  Just so much to consider and assume this will be an $8k-$10k trip for the 2 of us after everything is added up.  🤯

Why do you want to cruise Alaska? What is the most important to see? With a 12 & 20 year old - ship activities might matter.

I've been Alaska twice but both were out of Seattle. I've been trying to do a one way for a few years but Covid canceled them so have it booked for 2023. 

I haven't seen Glacier Bay so that is why I picked the ship and itinerary that we are sailing. Do I wish it was on a bigger ship - yes. But this particular trip is about where it's going so I had to pick how to get there.

And pay attention that North and South sailing go to different glaciers and some different ports.  I would have liked to see Sitka but that wasn't an option if going on a Glacier Bay sailing.

NCL does have some 2 bedroom suites or you could do a balcony with interior across the hall for kids.

PS - I believe you're from NC - note the time difference on Alaska ports. Alaska ships tend to be quiet in the evenings because everyone is tired and off the ship early in the morning.  A 7 am port maybe 10 or 11 am to you.  So by 8 pm - you will be very tired because it's 11 or midnight at home.