Any must-do restaurants near HI Ports?

MacII

Hello,

My family and I are on POA 5/21/22. Are there any must-do restaurants in any of the ports? The NCL Luau appears to be booked up so that's not an option for us but I'm not sure I'd want to do that anyway. I'd take a nice meal at a good place if there are any recommendations. Especially for the ports we overnight (Kahului, Maui and Nāwiliwili, Kaua`i.)

Thank you,

2 hours ago, MacII said:

I'd take a nice meal at a good place if there are any recommendations. Especially for the ports we overnight (Kahului, Maui and Nāwiliwili, Kaua`i.)

For your overnight in Maui you can't do much better than Lahaina Grill in Lahaina. I think it's one of the best fine dining meals in the entire islands. That being said its a very difficult reservation to get and will often book out months in advance. Reservations as a whole have been extremely difficult so I would get on things right now if you are going to have some dinners off the ship. 

• Like 1

Some reading around the board would be beneficial. Lahaina is a solid 45 minute drive from where POA docks.

Something closer to the ship would be Mama's Fish House...I think 20 or so minutes away. Reservations probably a very good idea for dinner.

• Like 1

Hali'imalie General Store is about a 15 minute drive from the cruise ship dock in Kihei, highly recommended. You can book them via Open Table.

Edited by Leela

I'm not averse to using Uber or Lyft in-port (If those services work in Hawaii these days...) but are there any restaurants within walking distance of the port?

I realize this is a somewhat ignorant question, this cruise was last minute and I've not had my usual time to plan.

1 hour ago, Leela said:

Hali'imalie General Store is about a 15 minute drive from the cruise ship dock in Kihei, highly recommended. You can book them via Open Table.

Not to rain on your parade, but the cruise ship dock is in Kahului, not Kihei.  The Hali'imaile General Store is closed on Sundays.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2022 at 3:28 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Some reading around the board would be beneficial. Lahaina is a solid 45 minute drive from where POA docks.

Something closer to the ship would be Mama's Fish House...I think 20 or so minutes away. Reservations probably a very good idea for dinner.

I'll just add to Bruce's good suggestions..., 45 minutes on a good day. As tourism (and traffic) return to Maui, the stretch of the Pali getting from Kahalui to Lahaina is often a slow crawl. This is virtually the only way to cross the island. One fender bumper and it's game over.

Mama's fish house is booking 6 full months in advance. It's the best restaurant on that side of the island. They do allow for some walk up bar seating if you can't get reservations. 

Enjoy!

• Like 1

In Honolulu, I'd get a taxi and go to the House Without A Key or Orchids, both at Halekulani. On Maui, Mama's Fish House, on Kaua'i, Duke's or Hamura Saimin for a very casual, local favorite. In Hilo I always go to Kuhio Grille, “Home of the one pound Laulau” 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Docked in Kahului, another option is Cafe O' Lei at the Mill House, Maui Plantation. Would be an Uber or taxi ride but worth it. I think Mama's Fish House has become way too touristy. Just my opinion, and probably not a popular one 😉 We really enjoyed Maui Plantation last week (not a cruise visit, spent a week on Maui.)

9 hours ago, DogLover said:

I think Mama's Fish House has become way too touristy. Just my opinion, and probably not a popular one 😉

Might not be popular but its accurate. Plus its such a hike from anywhere near Lahaina or Wailea. 

Interesting hack if you need your Mama's fix-- a chef or two from there went to the Honokowai Okazuya & Deli just north of Kaanapali-- little place tucked into a strip mall. Same mahi preparation as Mamas and just as good. They have fantastic other mixed plate options. Some of the best takeaway on the island. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2022 at 7:22 AM, princeton123211 said:

Might not be popular but its accurate. Plus its such a hike from anywhere near Lahaina or Wailea.

The question was about "must do" restaurants near the ports and their port stop on Maui is Kahului. Mama's is the only place that I'd class as a "must do" near the Kahului port. Personally Sam Sato's is my favorite Central Maui restaurant, but I don't think it meets others idea of a "must do" place.