Avoiding the 9 hour bus ride to Denali Question #2

CarolGS

I read the previous post regarding the cruiseline excursion from Whittier to Denali by special train.  Unfortunately, we just booked our May 22 sea/land cruise yesterday and that excursion is sold out.  Was wondering how early Holland America will allow us off the Niew Amsterdam if we can arrange for private transportation to the Anchorage train station.  There is still availability on the 8:15am train from Anchorage to Denali.  And, if we do manage to find someone to pick us up at the cruise terminal, what time should we ask them meet us? 6:am? Lastly, do we leave our luggage outside our stateroom door the night before to be picked up and transferred to Denali?  Thanks.

Highly unlikely to impossible that you’d make the 8:15am train from Anchorage.  As you leave Whittier you have to travel through a one way tunnel that is only open that direction at the top of each hour.  You’d miss the 6am opening with the next being 7am. Even with no traffic/construction delays it takes over an hour to get to the train depot.

• Like 1

Call HAL again and try to at least get wait listed on the train. If that doesn't work get to the shore excursions desk as soon as you board and try to get on the train. I don't have other info to help. 

sightcrr. 

Glaciers, thank you for the reality check.

SightCRR thanks for those suggestions.  I will call the excursion folks first thing Monday morning about the waitlist.  

There's also the Daily Holland America Princess train, I think they call it the HEX.  It leaves after the Daily ARR Denali Star.  Not sure how you make  reservations on it.  I think it leaves Anchorage around 9am - 9:30am.

• Like 1

Do you have a travel agent?  I can’t imagine that the Denali cruise tour is sold out.  Get a travel agent to help you.  It’s free to you.  May 22 is a bit early for Denali so there should be availability.  Is there another Denali  itinerary that would work for you?   Are you saying the bus is available but not the train?

Edited by oaktreerb

Don't know where you are leaving from but according to Google Maps, the time to drive from Whittier to Denali is 5 h 26 m.  Google Maps tends to underestimate driving times in AK so lets say 6h 26 m which is a lot less than 9 hours.

DON

I may be all goofed up but check your itinerary. If you are on the 9 day denali trip I think you should not need the Whittier excursion if you are looking at the excursions in Whittier. 

I240 D8C: 9-DAY DENALI (hollandamerica.com) 

This clearly shows the train from Whittier to Denali and not an excursion. You should call to verify but make sure you write down who you spoke to and when if things fall through the cracks later. I am surprised at how many different itineraries there are for the cruise that starts 22 May with different number of days at Denali. 

Full disclosure: I have never been on cruise/tour but always either toured or cruised. sightcrr

2 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

Do you have a travel agent?  I can’t imagine that the Denali cruise tour is sold out.  Get a travel agent to help you.  It’s free to you.  May 22 is a bit early for Denali so there should be availability.  Is there another Denali  itinerary that would work for you?   Are you saying the bus is available but not the train?

Yes, our land portion includes the bus ride to Denali.  From what I understand it stops for breaks every two hours and also for lunch.  The paperwork allows 9 hours for the trip.

11 minutes ago, SightCRR said:

I may be all goofed up but check your itinerary. If you are on the 9 day denali trip I think you should not need the Whittier excursion if you are looking at the excursions in Whittier. 

I240 D8C: 9-DAY DENALI (hollandamerica.com) 

This clearly shows the train from Whittier to Denali and not an excursion. You should call to verify but make sure you write down who you spoke to and when if things fall through the cracks later. I am surprised at how many different itineraries there are for the cruise that starts 22 May with different number of days at Denali. 

Full disclosure: I have never been on cruise/tour but always either toured or cruised. sightcrr

We are on the 11 day Seattle to Seattle trip that sails first then buses to Denali then trains back down to Anchorage.  We just wanted to take the train both ways.

Now with the new info I see that you are on R6C trip and that confirms that I was all goofed up. Maybe back to my idea about calling HAL to see if you can switch to train. If you can't at least you will not see the exact same scenery each way (but it will be close) and if on the bus (sit on left side) may have a chance to see Denali during a stop. (no chance of that happening on the train).sightcrr

27 minutes ago, CarolGS said:

Yes, our land portion includes the bus ride to Denali.  From what I understand it stops for breaks every two hours and also for lunch.  The paperwork allows 9 hours for the trip.

I have been on the train transfer to Denali a few times.  The train is nice and eating in the dining car is a special treat.  We ended up on the bus transfer with one itinerary and I was surprised that it really wasn’t that bad.  The.bus is a high end tour bus with plenty of leg space and great views through the windows.  The journey is narrated and there are stops at regular intervals.  We stopped at a lovely, scenic place for lunch.  I think it was called Settler’s Bay and lunch was included with the tour.  They  provided a very hearty make your own sandwich buffet with sides and huge cookies for dessert.   You’ll enjoy the journey.   

31 minutes ago, CarolGS said:

We are on the 11 day Seattle to Seattle trip that sails first then buses to Denali then trains back down to Anchorage.  We just wanted to take the train both ways.

I really don’t think it would be worth the effort.   The bus is very nice.  

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

I have been on the train transfer to Denali a few times.  The train is nice and eating in the dining car is a special treat.  We ended up on the bus transfer with one itinerary and I was surprised that it really wasn’t that bad.  The.bus is a high end tour bus with plenty of leg space and great views through the windows.  The journey is narrated and there are stops at regular intervals.  We stopped at a lovely, scenic place for lunch.  I think it was called Settler’s Bay and lunch was included with the tour.  They  provided a very hearty make your own sandwich buffet with sides and huge cookies for dessert.   You’ll enjoy the journey.   

Thank you for that information. It does sound better than I imagined.

1 hour ago, SightCRR said:

Now with the new info I see that you are on R6C trip and that confirms that I was all goofed up. Maybe back to my idea about calling HAL to see if you can switch to train. If you can't at least you will not see the exact same scenery each way (but it will be close) and if on the bus (sit on left side) may have a chance to see Denali during a stop. (no chance of that happening on the train).sightcrr

Great info!  We'll make sure to get seats on the left side. Thanks.

Google maps shows it at 300 miles. In the states with interstates that would be 5 hrs max. In AK with two highway conditions (snowy & construction) I would guess it would be at least close to 7 but I don't think nine unless the lunch stops are really long. The good part is that at Denali on 29 May the sunset is at 11:44pm. Here is a fun faa camera to view. FAA WeatherCams Look at the southeast camera. right image is clear and left is current. Have Fun sightcrr. 

Edited by SightCRR

To summarize the relevant options:

McKinley Express train, an Alaska Railroad train chartered by Princess, departs Whittier at 7:15 a.m., direct to McKinley (near Talkeetna; Princess motorcoaches transfer passengers to Talkeetna) arriving at 12:55 p.m. (too late to board any connecting trains to Denali, but in time to transfer to Talkeetna to board the Park Connection bus to Denali, the bus stopping in Talkeetna to pick up passengers at 5:45 p.m.)

Denali Express train, a Princess train operated by Alaska Railroad, departs Whittier at 8:15 a.m., direct to Denali arriving at 5:45 p.m., apparently sold-out.

Park Connection motorcoach, departs Whitter at 9:45 a.m., with a three-hour connection in downtown Anchorage, arriving Denali at 9:15 p.m.

Private transfer, tunnel from Whittier generally available every hour on the hour, then one and one-half to two hours from Whittier tunnel portal to Anchorage.

Denali Star train, an Alaska Railroad train, departs Anchorage at 8:15 a.m., direct to Denali arriving at 3:40 p.m.

Wilderness Express train, private cars attached to Denali Star, operating at same times as Denali Star.

McKinley Explorer train, a Princess train operated by Alaska Railroad, departs Anchorage at 9:15 a.m., direct to Denali arriving at 4:40 p.m.

Park Connection motorcoach, departs Anchorage twice daily at 6:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., arriving Denali at 1:30 p.m. and 9:15 p.m.

If travel by railroad is critical, then the plan for a private transfer could work if you are off the vessel in time to make the 7:00 a.m. tunnel. You would want to be off the vessel to meet a 6:30 a.m. transfer, the time being sufficient for you and the driver to find each other and to get to the tunnel portal in time for the 7:00 a.m. transit. Expect to be at the railroad station at 8:30 a.m. Board train for 9:15 a.m. departure. I might be tempted to try the McKinley Express train. It provides a bit of time in Talkeetna, and while the ultimate arrival in Denali is by highway, the alternative is travel by highway between Whittier and Anchorage . . . without availability on the Denali Express train, you will need to travel by highway for at least a portion of the journey for a one-day trip between Whittier and Denali. Best place to reserve railroad and motorcoach transportation is at Alaska Tour & Travel (I have no connection or interest in the company). Full railroad, motorcoach, ferry, and cruise line schedules are published bimonthly in the Canada and Alaska Timetable.

Edited by GTJ
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 5/1/2022 at 10:49 AM, CarolGS said:

I read the previous post regarding the cruiseline excursion from Whittier to Denali by special train.  Unfortunately, we just booked our May 22 sea/land cruise yesterday and that excursion is sold out.  Was wondering how early Holland America will allow us off the Niew Amsterdam if we can arrange for private transportation to the Anchorage train station.  There is still availability on the 8:15am train from Anchorage to Denali.  And, if we do manage to find someone to pick us up at the cruise terminal, what time should we ask them meet us? 6:am? Lastly, do we leave our luggage outside our stateroom door the night before to be picked up and transferred to Denali?  Thanks.

What cruise are you booked on? We are booked on the Niew Amsterdam arriving in Whittier on May 28th and was told we can not do a long tour through Holland which is very disappointing. So much so that we are thinking of rebooking