US re-entry Covid tests provided by Regent?

I know we have to have a negative Covid test to re-enter the US. Do I have to make those arrangements myself, like bring proctored tests with, or will Regent provide the testing? I have read and read the safety FAQ’s and only found one reference for this testing, but it seemed to apply to a current cruise. We sail In June. Thanks in advance!

We were just on the transatlantic cruise on the Splendor.  The day before we arrived in Barcelona (4/18), Covid tests were provided for anyone who wanted them, and apparently as we later learned via these boards, required for the large group who was staying on the ship for the next cruise in the Med.  As we weren’t leaving Spain until 4/20, we couldn’t have used those results, so we didn’t take the Regent tests and arranged for our own tests at our hotel in Madrid to meet the 24 hr requirement.  Those results were shockingly positive, which began another lengthy surreal saga entirely.  We obviously were exposed on the ship; I have subsequently learned of many more cases on the ship, a large group of whom did take the tests on the ship, were positive, and had to stay several unplanned nights in Barcelona.  Regent said nothing about it while we were onboard,  and we’ll never know how many people were affected and seriously inconvenienced.  Bottom line:  Be prepared for ANYTHING.  Safe travels! 

• Thanks 1

Ugh not good. We leave on Explorer May 24 from Athens to Israel and then the post tour with Regent in Israel. Every night I wake up going should we go on this cruise for that very reason of  testing positive in Israel and having to spend extra days there.  I have told my husband we are going to wear mask at all times when around others in very close situations.  Did most of the people on the Splendor cruise wear mask?

• Thanks 1

Funny, just wondering about a related scenario since I'm contemplating a last-minute Alaska booking.

Assuming Vancouver - Seward, I need to test the day before I fly to Vancouver so that I can board the ship, then presumably Regent would have to test us again, everyone onboard, to re-enter the U.S. shortly thereafter?  Most itineraries have a sea day after leaving Vancouver, then first port is Ketchikan.  Which means everyone would have to be tested on the sea day?

If starting the cruise in Seward, as a Canadian, I'd have to get a test the day before we fly to enter the U.S. (which I presume would fulfill Regent's requirement for a boarding test as well.)

I wonder when the U.S. will drop this requirement for testing?

• Thanks 1

I keep hoping the re-entry testing requirement will go away by June 1 but there is no data to support my optimism. There is a couple from the Celebrity board who rented an air b & b near Southampton due to a positive test result. That’s our plan B. Good health to us all!

2 minutes ago, jhenry1 said:

The US has done away with testing for the immigrants or should I say they never had it for them but for US citizens and others we have to test.  Doesn’t make any sense to me.

Not much the CDC does makes sense.  I guess covid can only come in via air not land or sea.

• Like 1

Don’t get me started about how US citizens are at the bottom of the pile with respect to “rights”.

On our TA cruise, the staff was fully masked at all times.  With a very few exceptions, Passengers were not masked at all since there was no requirement until we got to Spain.  As Spain still had their indoor mandate in place, we were told that the ship had to abide and so masks were “required” everywhere except while eating or outside with distance. But…I never saw the “mandate” enforced, and many went without.  Spain’s indoor mandate was lifted as of 4/20. 

Note that the self-service buffets were also in full swing, which I must admit did surprise me. I wouldn’t have minded, in fact kind of expected, that the buffets would NOT be self-serve yet.  I still think it’s too early for that to resume. 

4 hours ago, Pathfinder88 said:

We were just on the transatlantic cruise on the Splendor.  The day before we arrived in Barcelona (4/18), Covid tests were provided for anyone who wanted them, and apparently as we later learned via these boards, required for the large group who was staying on the ship for the next cruise in the Med.  As we weren’t leaving Spain until 4/20, we couldn’t have used those results, so we didn’t take the Regent tests and arranged for our own tests at our hotel in Madrid to meet the 24 hr requirement.  Those results were shockingly positive, which began another lengthy surreal saga entirely.  We obviously were exposed on the ship; I have subsequently learned of many more cases on the ship, a large group of whom did take the tests on the ship, were positive, and had to stay several unplanned nights in Barcelona.  Regent said nothing about it while we were onboard,  and we’ll never know how many people were affected and seriously inconvenienced.  Bottom line:  Be prepared for ANYTHING.  Safe travels! 

Our situation exactly.  My question is whether you were allowed to quarantine at your Madrid hotel?  What was the outcome?

We had planned to stay just one night at the Westin Palace in Madrid before our flight home to Chicago.  So fortunately for us, we were able to extend our stay there for a week.  The staff could not have been more accommodating and kind to us, as I was in a complete panic pretty much the whole time as I tried to figure things out to get us home.  Interestingly, our “quarantine” there was left to our discretion- no one seemed too concerned and left us to our own devices. It was surreal, to say the least.  Regent rebooked the flights, but assumed the next tests would be negative and we’d be good to go in a week.  But no, the second tests were also positive.  I had researched and learned about the “certificate of recovery”, so we secured those as our Plan B, and needed them after all. 

Were you on the Splendor with us?  Hope you’re finally home safe and sound after what we’re calling our out—of-body experience! 

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing your experience.  It is very helpful.  We are on the Explorer in July from Rome to Barcelona and will plan to stay one night in Madrid before flying home.  Soooo, sounds exactly like your trip, but we will have a family group of 6 people, so the tour guide (me) wants to think through all contingencies.

8 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Funny, just wondering about a related scenario since I'm contemplating a last-minute Alaska booking.

Assuming Vancouver - Seward, I need to test the day before I fly to Vancouver so that I can board the ship, then presumably Regent would have to test us again, everyone onboard, to re-enter the U.S. shortly thereafter?  Most itineraries have a sea day after leaving Vancouver, then first port is Ketchikan.  Which means everyone would have to be tested on the sea day?

If starting the cruise in Seward, as a Canadian, I'd have to get a test the day before we fly to enter the U.S. (which I presume would fulfill Regent's requirement for a boarding test as well.)

I wonder when the U.S. will drop this requirement for testing?

On Caribbean cruises AT Florida or Florida to overseas, ships have only tested people that needed to fly or on a B2B. I would think no testing on the ships just because they sailed from Vancouver to Ketchikan. Do you know for something  for sure? We are thinking of a late season Alaska cruise.

8 hours ago, cwn said:

On Caribbean cruises AT Florida or Florida to overseas, ships have only tested people that needed to fly or on a B2B. I would think no testing on the ships just because they sailed from Vancouver to Ketchikan. Do you know for something  for sure? We are thinking of a late season Alaska cruise.

This is a remarkably fluid situation so who knows what "late season" will look like.  But Wendy only has to pre-cruise test because she's flying from Canada to the U.S. to start the cruise from a U.S. port.  Canada, right now, has no testing requirement for vaccinated U.S. citizens.  As for Ketchikan, I believe the testing order for return to the U.S. is for Air Travel ONLY.   Since you are arriving on a cruise ship there is no testing requirement, and certainly none to return to the U.S. from Alaska.  

But again... it's a fluid situation. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the Covid tests provided by Regent on board, will they only provide them the day before the final destination, or it is possible to do it early in the morning that you debark? We are staying 1 night in Athens before flying back to the US, and if we can get tested on board the morning of disembarkation, I think it would still meet the 1 day requirement - and would be much easier than doing this on our own! Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

I just got the email from Regent. They will provide an antigen test for those needing it to return to their home country. I imagine you can request it to suit your timing. If you need PCR, it is at your expense.