Nugget Falls or Mount Roberts trail for a hiking adventure?

ldgiff

Need some help deciding which place to go to for the best hiking experience. Nugget Falls, I believe, will get us close the M. glacier. What is best way to the trail, Uber, taxi, tram? Mt Robert takes us up a mountain for a great view, I think. How would I get there? Do I tram up it and then hike? I have been over-reading and now I am confused. 3 of us going end of June and we want about a 2-3 mile hike and to be gone from ship around 3-4 hours. Suggestions please. 

As a local I love hiking in the alpine of Mt. Roberts. You take the tram up and down. But, there is quite a bit of snow up there this year. There may very well still be snow in June, but the trail should be mostly clear by then. Nugget Falls is flat, easy, and can get quite congested. You can choose East Glacier trail as a less-trafficked but still busy alternative. Mt. Roberts does not require you to take any extra transportation. As an alternative idea you could walk up to Basin Rd and either go up the actual Mt. Roberts trail and ride the tram back down (free with a $10pp spend at the restaurant/bar at the top) or you could continue to the end of Basin Rd to Perseverance Trail, which would be an out and back hike. There were several slides on that trail and the flume trail this winter, but I would think they would be cleaned up by then. Make noise on the trail, in any of these locations. 

11 hours ago, AKfamily said:

As an alternative idea you could walk up to Basin Rd and either go up the actual Mt. Roberts trail and ride the tram back down (free with a $10pp spend at the restaurant/bar at the top) or you could continue to the end of Basin Rd to Perseverance Trail, which would be an out and back hike.

Ok, liking this plan. How far a walk to Basin Rd from the NCL cruise port? WHen I  see Mt Roberts trail, I start on it. How long will it take us tos get to top for tram? OR if we do Perserverance Trail, it is a straight walk from cruise port to trail and back, correct? Which trail offers more to see, like water falls or glacier (from a distance)? Thank you! You have been very helpful!

Make sure that you clarify how much elevation gain you have to reach your goals. We have only driven a rental van to the trail head to get to the old mine museum which I understand is closed now and to gold creek to pan. The road is quite steep to the trail head. Three or so blocks from the pier it starts to get steep. I can't imagine how steep the rest of the trail is. I can't see how you could see the glacier from this trail. sightcrr

Edited by SightCRR

The Nugget Falls trail is more of a leisurely stroll than a hike. Takes about 1 hour out and back from the visitor center and you view the glacier from a distance now that it’s receded so much.  Another hiking option is the West Glacier Trail that gives you views of Mendenhall from above the glacier. This is one of our top 5 all time hikes.

Here is a quick guide that has a brief of many of the trails you are considering. 

Some start close to downtown and the ones close to the glacier are 30 min drive out towards the airport, glacier and whale watching docks. West Glacier used to be known for rescues of people who got in over their head to see the glacier. Douglas Island is across the downtown bridge. 

Juneau Hikes | Trails, Nature Walks & Wildlife. (traveljuneau.com) sightcrr. 

5 hours ago, SightCRR said:

Here is a quick guide that has a brief of many of the trails you are considering. 

Some start close to downtown and the ones close to the glacier are 30 min drive out towards the airport, glacier and whale watching docks. West Glacier used to be known for rescues of people who got in over their head to see the glacier. Douglas Island is across the downtown bridge. 

Juneau Hikes | Trails, Nature Walks & Wildlife. (traveljuneau.com) sightcrr. 

thank you for the link!