$16.20 for one measured shot of Bailey's!

MikeyB

14 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

The primary issue is that you say its "free at sea" then charge for it. Don't call it free then and just say its a $15/drink discount but that doesn't sounds as good or sell as well.

Of course, you aren't accounting for the multiple meanings of "free"...you assume that it refers to "without cost". However, the marketing folks could also be referring to "free" as in "free to drink without worrying about the bar bill at the end of the cruise"...that is a different "free".

26 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Of course, you aren't accounting for the multiple meanings of "free"...you assume that it refers to "without cost". However, the marketing folks could also be referring to "free" as in "free to drink without worrying about the bar bill at the end of the cruise"...that is a different "free".

Personally I interpret "free at sea" to mean "while you're at sea, there are no additional charges" - you pay in advance so that everything is included while you're sailing.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I'm not a Bailey's expert, but on our recent cruise NCL had Maloney's Irish Cream as part of the regular beverage package. We ordered it several times and it was just fine. I'm sure fans of Bailey's could probably tell the difference, but it certainly sufficed.

Thank you for this information 

41 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

"free to drink without worrying about the bar bill at the end of the cruise"

Except what you just described is not accurate.... hence the context of this whole thread. A previously included offer is now not fully included and you only receive a $15 credit to reduce the cost.

Hence my point. I am not missing anything with their word play and trying to act like they are including something they are not.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

But they would make even more without the package as then the person not only pays for the drink, they also pay an additional 20% gratuity on each drink. Again, it would appear that more guests having the package is less beneficial to the cruise line.

They wouldn't offer it if it didn't make them more money in the long run. Additionally they will singularly raise prices and adjust things if something started costing them money as oppose to leading to more profit.

People always use to talk about Disney World and their Dining Plan as well. Thing is they raised prices to simply make it seem like it was a good deal (like NCL - per certain drinks going over the included threshold) and reduced quality of the food offered (like NCL - per people talking about wine in this thread).

I think comparing the cost of a bottle of liquor in a store to the per glass on a cruise/restaurant like comparing apples and oranges.   The cruise ships/restaurants/etc pay purchasers to purchase the item, staff delivery, load and store it on the ship.  Staff to restock the individual bars. Pay bartenders, barbacks, dishwashers. The mixers, fruits, paper umbrellas, the froze drink machines, the blenders, etc.  Buy glassware (and replace because of breakage). pay and maintain for dish machines (soap, water, etc.).   Maintain refrigeration & ice machines (not only parts for the machines but the maintenance staff).  Even making ice comes at a cost. 

The cost of a drink is more than just the wholesale cost of the bottle, it's for all the stuff in the background you do not see.  Plus a extra to make a profit, because, it's a business.

If you do not find value in the cost, don't buy it.  Enough people do not purchase they will adjust their prices accordingly. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

They wouldn't offer it if it didn't make them more money in the long run.

So...then why should we as cruisers want any sort of drink package since having them means that the cruise line gets more of our money in the long run?

3 hours ago, sailorusvi said:

I think comparing the cost of a bottle of liquor in a store to the per glass on a cruise/restaurant like comparing apples and oranges.   The cruise ships/restaurants/etc pay purchasers to purchase the item, staff delivery, load and store it on the ship.  Staff to restock the individual bars. Pay bartenders, barbacks, dishwashers. The mixers, fruits, paper umbrellas, the froze drink machines, the blenders, etc.  Buy glassware (and replace because of breakage). pay and maintain for dish machines (soap, water, etc.).   Maintain refrigeration & ice machines (not only parts for the machines but the maintenance staff).  Even making ice comes at a cost. 

The cost of a drink is more than just the wholesale cost of the bottle, it's for all the stuff in the background you do not see.  Plus a extra to make a profit, because, it's a business.

If you do not find value in the cost, don't buy it.  Enough people do not purchase they will adjust their prices accordingly. 

Don't forget the cost to build, maintain, and operate the ship that hold all of the things you mentioned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaCruiseBug said:

You pay 20% of $109 per person per day. That's $152.60 per person for a 7 day sailing. Maybe you're basing yours off the old UBP price.

No, I'm basing it off of what I'm paying for a cruise this very month.

19 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

So...then why should we as cruisers want any sort of drink package since having them means that the cruise line gets more of our money in the long run?

NCL has rigged the math to make it seem like its a good deal. Additionally plenty of people don't even consider doing the math and just take it because its "free".

Typically anytime an unlimited consumption model is offered you are paying more than you could otherwise.

As an example people do the math right now and think "oh I only need to have 5 drinks per day" but in reality its math based on unlimited consumption ala carte pricing. NCL doesn't need to aggressively price their ala carte offering of drinks because a large quantity of customers are on the unlimited consumption.

So the only reason you take the drink package is because the business has directly created a pricing model to make it seem like its a good deal.

My alternative? I don't just cruise with NCL every time and when I do I calculate everything in to a total cost. Which is why you are seeing some people bring up land based vacations more and more as these "small" upcharges add up overall either in cost or reduction in offering quality.

32 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

NCL has rigged the math to make it seem like its a good deal. Additionally plenty of people don't even consider doing the math and just take it because its "free".

Typically anytime an unlimited consumption model is offered you are paying more than you could otherwise.

As an example people do the math right now and think "oh I only need to have 5 drinks per day" but in reality its math based on unlimited consumption ala carte pricing. NCL doesn't need to aggressively price their ala carte offering of drinks because a large quantity of customers are on the unlimited consumption.

So the only reason you take the drink package is because the business has directly created a pricing model to make it seem like its a good deal.

My alternative? I don't just cruise with NCL every time and when I do I calculate everything in to a total cost. Which is why you are seeing some people bring up land based vacations more and more as these "small" upcharges add up overall either in cost or reduction in offering quality.

You keep saying "seems like" without ever explaining why people WANT this option. I don't see a whole lot...in fact, I see none...of discussion against the drink packages.

BTW...you can't rig math. That is the one thing about numbers...they don't exaggerate and they don't lie. If there is a fault in the math, it is because people simply don't understand it.

55 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

You keep saying "seems like" without ever explaining why people WANT this option. I don't see a whole lot...in fact, I see none...of discussion against the drink packages.

BTW...you can't rig math. That is the one thing about numbers...they don't exaggerate and they don't lie. If there is a fault in the math, it is because people simply don't understand it.

You can craft a model to get to whatever end result you want within reason. So yes it can very well be "rigged" in favor of a specific point or end result you want.

Additionally NCL is rigging the math by changing a variable (cost of ala carte purchase). The further you increase that cost the math skews more easily in favor of taking the all inclusive.

Finally if you add on a cork fee to wine and remove "free" carry-on that also adjusts the math for people.

Its all a game to make the math come out in favor of an expensive drink plan. A plan that they can then later adjust prices of certain drinks on to remove certain options without an upcharge like in case of the OP.

• Like 2

I enjoy the " Free" beverage package. I can do basic math and make decisions about what is a value to me. I enjoy the freedom of ordering drinks on board without much thought about how quickly the cost may be adding up. It gives me the opportunity to feel free to try some new drinks. If I don't like it I can just order something else. It is fun for me to order what I want. However they "rig " the math, I understand it, but still have fun with it.

When it stops being of value to me, I will stop getting it. I really don't need the extra calories from all those "free" drinks anyways.😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I enjoy the " Free" beverage package. I can do basic math and make decisions about what is a value to me. I enjoy the freedom of ordering drinks on board without much thought about how quickly the cost may be adding up. It gives me the opportunity to feel free to try some new drinks. If I don't like it I can just order something else. It is fun for me to order what I want. However they "rig " the math, I understand it, but still have fun with it.

When it stops being of value to me, I will stop getting it. I really don't need the extra calories from all those "free" drinks anyways.😉

What an amazing comment! Thank you - it's not always about monetary cost. You're like me. Back in September I went without any package. My husband had a soda package. I had a few drinks, less than ten as I really didn't want to have a huge bar bill at the end of a cruise. My husband limited his virgin cocktails as those aren't covered in the soda package. It did impact our enjoyment of the cruise. Not enough to make it not enjoyable, but enough for us to go with the package.

Last week we had the package. I had plenty of drinks at first, probably four or five the first three days or so, then I dropped down to about two to three a day. I'm not really an alcohol drinker unless I'm cruising so I kind of got sick of the booze. BUT, it was much better to have the package and just order whatever, whenever I wanted. Same for him and his virgin cocktails.

Thanks for saying what I couldn't get out in words.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cruising Lynne said:

This. 👆👆

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I completely agree!  I enjoy it.  And the math works for me.  I really don’t understand all these debates.  Don’t like the package?  Don’t get it?  Don’t think you will get your money’s worth?  Decline the package.  Easy, peasy.  But please don’t assume that those of us that get it, and enjoy it, have not “done the math”.  And to a lot of us it’s about a whole lot more than the math.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

I completely agree!  I enjoy it.  And the math works for me.  I really don’t understand all these debates.  Don’t like the package?  Don’t get it?  Don’t think you will get your money’s worth?  Decline the package.  Easy, peasy.  But please don’t assume that those of us that get it, and enjoy it, have not “done the math”.  And to a lot of us it’s about a whole lot more than the math.

You do you!   We did the math on land and decide to take the package so we didn't have to do math at sea.  Calculating drink price + 20% x how many drinks we each have =/= a good time to us.

If you don't think it's a value, don't get it.   Simple.

Edited by sailorusvi
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

I'm actually pretty decent at math and know that the NCL drink package isn't really 'free', but it's still always been 3x cheaper than what I paid for a drink package when I sailed with RCC. We like to not think about things while on vacation. If something catches my eye, I try it. If I like it, I get 2 more. If not, I switch to something else. 

We drink a LOT on cruises, but yet oddly, unless we're putting back bottles of wine I don't think I've ever felt drunk. So either I need to ask for a double in February on our next trip to get them stronger, or the fact that I drink when I want to rather than limiting myself to just certain times of days or certain types of drinks makes the overall trip more enjoyable.

15 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I drink and I have fun. 

My friend does the same, but she also "knows things." 🤣

🐀

Your ears must have been ringing, I was just telling hubby about your Martha Stewart recommendation of the day to clean out soap dispensers with..... more soap. We need to align our travel plans for 2024.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

You can craft a model to get to whatever end result you want within reason. So yes it can very well be "rigged" in favor of a specific point or end result you want.

Additionally NCL is rigging the math by changing a variable (cost of ala carte purchase). The further you increase that cost the math skews more easily in favor of taking the all inclusive.

Finally if you add on a cork fee to wine and remove "free" carry-on that also adjusts the math for people.

Its all a game to make the math come out in favor of an expensive drink plan. A plan that they can then later adjust prices of certain drinks on to remove certain options without an upcharge like in case of the OP.

Sometimes you can't make a factual post based on reason to those who make emotional based decisions.

The current price of the service charges for the UBP is a little over $150 for 7 days.

If you like to drink Grey Goose which NCL currently charges $15 (plus $3 for service charge if you buy individually) then you tell yourself "if I just drink 9 of these over the course of 7 days then it's worth it to have the drink package". Great deal right? The reality is that other cruise lines don't charge anywhere near that. I just saw a bar menu from MSC where Grey Goose is listed at $8. If NCL priced their drinks based on a realistic market pricing of let's say $10 ($12 with SC) then you'd need to have 13 drinks to make the beverage package worth it.

This is how NCL "riggs" it to favor them. It's not illegal by any means, it's just a form of manipulation.

If it takes less drinks for customers to see the UBP as a better value then ultimately more customers are going to pay up and get the UBP which ultimately increases how much $$$ NCL is taking in which is really their ultimate goal.

10 hours ago, sailorusvi said:

You do you!   We did the math on land and decide to take the package so we didn't have to do math at sea.  Calculating drink price + 20% x how many drinks we each have =/= a good time to us.

If you don't think it's a value, don't get it.   Simple.

And this is exactly what NCL loves to hear. Don't worry about the money...they've got it all taken care of. Just go, order a drink, and don't worry those pesky dollars...that's not fun. 

13 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

This is such good material that if an NCL rep is reading this they should offer you money to use it in their next advertisement. Nothing better than a customer that uses "free" multiple times in their argument.

NCL marketing execs at their office right now are like...

640px-Mission_Accomplished_banner_on_the

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

This is such good material that if an NCL rep is reading this they should offer you money to use it in their next advertisement. Nothing better than a customer that uses "free" multiple times in their argument.

NCL marketing execs at their office right now are like...

640px-Mission_Accomplished_banner_on_the

You make it sound like it was a theme, but they actually only used the word twice, and in each use it was in context of a different meaning of the word...

However, I have to thank you for the laugh I got when you tried to paint the picture that marketing execs would use an internet forum to measure the success of their campaigns. You really get how things really work in the cruise business world.