$16.20 for one measured shot of Bailey's!

MikeyB

Let me give you a little of my background.

Approximately 30 NCL cruises beginning with the SS Norway.

I got off last week on my first post Covid cruise (Dawn). 

Now, my little "upset".

I love Baileys.  And yes, I did have the beverage package.  But how can anyone (including NCL) justify pricing a double shot of Baileys at $32.40?  Or for that matter, Hendricks at $20

For a few years now, NCL has offered no variety on their wines under $15.  They have been $8 and then jump to $17.  Imagine what a $8 wine anywhere (except in Europe) must be like.

And yes, I can afford being nickeled and dimed by NCL.  However, I choose to avoid it.

I fear for the future of the NCL beverage  package.

I am happy to report that beers appear to very safe.

• Like 4

Yeah, really ridiculous. It was bad before the "included perks" specials became the norm, and has seemingly risen since then. It really pushes people into getting the beverage package, which I'll assume was a calculated move by NCL.

32 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

Let me give you a little of my background.

Approximately 30 NCL cruises beginning with the SS Norway.

I got off last week on my first post Covid cruise (Dawn). 

Now, my little "upset".

I love Baileys.  And yes, I did have the beverage package.  But how can anyone (including NCL) justify pricing a double shot of Baileys at $32.40?  Or for that matter, Hendricks at $20

For a few years now, NCL has offered no variety on their wines under $15.  They have been $8 and then jump to $17.  Imagine what a $8 wine anywhere (except in Europe) must be like.

And yes, I can afford being nickeled and dimed by NCL.  However, I choose to avoid it.

I fear for the future of the NCL beverage  package.

I am happy to report that beers appear to very safe.

where have you been?  everything now a days is Covid related, supply line , work force, maybe there is a computer chip on the bottle ( those are in short supply) , inflation , world unrest, wars, storms , change to summer blend, change to winter bend ( californians know what i mean). So it seems about right.  The bottle costs what 50 bucks . 4 shots pays for the bottle and then yeah then there's some extra. 

You are speaking my language. what the ... I am looking at the " perk package " and feeling forced  to up grade because the wines on the list for the 15$ may as well be 2 buck chuck.  Hope you drank it slow and licked the bottom of the glass! ( every last drop) 

• Like 4

I can sympathize with the OP but at the end of the day, cruise lines have to make money and this is how they do it. You could always opt to pay-as-you-go for the drinks and not get the package + required gratuity. It doesn't really bother me. I budget a certain amount for incidentals and this is what that money is for. I absolutely agree that the selection of included wines leaves something to be desired, but again, I budget for that so I can afford to splurge on the good stuff.

• Like 1

On our last two cruises, on the Bliss in Dec 2021 and again in Feb 2022, they didn't even have Baileys in the bars. We were told it was no longer available, however there was a lot of bottles of Baileys in the Sandbar gift store for sale. Their go to Irish Cream is "Maloney's Irish Cream". If you order Baileys they will pour Maloney's. It's not Baileys but it's not bad. I mostly put it in my coffee in the mornings so it's ok. Order a Mudslide, you are going to Maloney's in it. At least that was our experience recently.  And very much agree with others that the NCL wine menu that is included in the standard adult bev package is very subpar. 2 buck chuck pretty much covers it. I do realize there are supply and demand issues they have no control over, neither do we, their guests, so maybe consider dropping the price of their signature East West wines to fit into the $15/glass menu. They will still make a good profit. 

• Like 2

We just completed a B2B on the Joy.  We stopped for a glass of wine at their wine bar. I was offered a East West Cab, I must have made a face. The bartender said let me pour you something you may like. It was a very nice Cab that wasn’t part of the drink package. She truly seemed embarrassed to be severing those wines.

• Like 2

Funny, I was just thinking about this today because I was looking at an MSC drink menu.  We were on the Getaway last month in the Haven and I thought since it was vacation, I'd add a shot of Bailey's for my morning coffee. They said it was an upcharge and I was surprised, but just went with it.  I wasn't always charged for the Espresso Martini upcharge, but a few times they did.  Some things didn't make a lot of sense.

It is truly NCL'd attempt to get passenger's to pay the $29 upcharge to the Premium Plus package.

I had about $10 in extra drink charges.  Every drink made me more annoyed.

I wrote a note to the hotel manager about it.  The assistant beverage manager called to talk to me.

His reply was to indicate my dissatisfaction on the survey.  I did.

And I also was told by a bartender that there was no Baileys on the ship.  All those bottles I saw on the shelf must have been empty.

On the Encore in February and my wife and I had double Baileys every night and it was included in the drinks package. Did they charge you extra? Lots of wine options in the $16 - $18 range which we bought and only had to pay the difference. 

47 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

On the Encore in February and my wife and I had double Baileys every night and it was included in the drinks package. Did they charge you extra? Lots of wine options in the $16 - $18 range which we bought and only had to pay the difference. 

It’s hard to  decipher.  I asked the same thing. It appears he got something for no extra charge but is still complaining.  That’s CC for ya!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 night cruise. I paid maybe $20 total extra for alcohol over the $15 threshold. I think it was $1 extra for Grand Marnier. A dollar or two for Crown Royal. A few dollars here and there if I wanted better wine. I usually just went for the daily standard wine choice. Really it's so minor over the cost of the cruise IMO.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, nferr said:

15 night cruise. I paid maybe $20 total extra for alcohol over the $15 threshold. I think it was $1 extra for Grand Marnier. A dollar or two for Crown Royal. A few dollars here and there if I wanted better wine. I usually just went for the daily standard wine choice. Really it's so minor over the cost of the cruise IMO.

So you're not going to use this as a basis to tell us how evil NCL is?  What, are you new here??  (jk obviously  - to most...)

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Chiefmate-

Let me say this slow and loud-

Y-E-S.

Please see my post #11.

Enough said.

Your posts make no sense.  Maybe you need to flow chart this for us.

Black Label and Bulleit are both fully covered.  What else could a man need if they are inclined to spend their vacation counting $10 worth of pennies?  Did you spend that crushing $10 on one shot?  Ten?  Fifty?  Wine?  Bailey's?  All of the above?  Here's a thought, maybe it was those dreaded port taxes.  Those usually hit me for well over $10 on a cruise.  The horror.

• Haha 1

We just got off 15 wonderful days on the Encore. I usually get Baileys in the evening to put in my morning coffee. I was more than happy with the substitute but they ran out and I got the Baileys anyway - no surcharge!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Blueberry89 said:

We just got off 15 wonderful days on the Encore. I usually get Baileys in the evening to put in my morning coffee. I was more than happy with the substitute but they ran out and I got the Baileys anyway - no surcharge!

Thanks.  I think we all have pretty much figured out what is going on here.  Same goofiness, different day.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Chiefmate-

Y-E-S.

Please see my post #11.

Enough said.

I'm not here to defend Chiefmate, but you should have downloaded the Norwegian Premium Drink Package list and questioned why they were upcharging you for something that is clearly listed as included. That's on you. 
Also, I've read somewhere the key to getting around this is to order single shots. As a purported frequent cruiser, I'm surprised you don't know the tricks.  

Edited by Uff da
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Uff da said:

I'm not here to defend Chiefmate

What?!  (jk)

52 minutes ago, Uff da said:

Also, I've read somewhere the key to getting around this is to order single shots. As a purported frequent cruiser, I'm surprised you don't know the tricks.  

This guy didn't have to get around anything.  He's just telling tall tales.  I've ordered double shots of Black Label or Bulleit and never been charged a single penny for the privilege.  I'm fairly certain we won't be getting any more details of this abusive behavior by the evil NCL.

UK they have just put the free at sea prices up a lot(some cruises it doubles) the prices includes grats.

the new rates smooth out the daily rate to be more in line with the US where it is just grats charged.

Roughly £20pppd for the AI, some internet and a dinner or 3 depending on length and cabin

Its roughly in line with what Princess charge in the UK(£30) for(AI, unlimited internet and gratuities) 

The nominal retail ship price is just made up to enhance the smoke and mirrors.

Bottom line is the total price of the cruise for what you get,  cruise fair+addons+grats  $XXpppd 

If you drink even moderately(5 drinks a day) the current package pricing does the job for what you might pay at home(£4/pt in the UK)  I use a cheap place so only pay £2 others like London you are more like £6.

Its much the same with the dinner pricing, teppanyaki $60, we come out of Cagnies/Bistro with ~$150 tab for 2.

What you really pay is the dinner package rate,  next cruise <$40pp for the extra over the ones we get anyway.

On a longer cruise you can get them lower when there is a deal,  been under $25.

2 minutes ago, ChC said:

Very informative. Thank you.

I will have to say this though. That when one goes on a holiday, one doesn't supposed to feel the pressure to calculate what gives what takes, and should not be worried about whether one is nickled or dimmed by the service provider, certainly should not feel the need to take an abacus to compute how much extra one had to pay if accidentally ordered a more expensive drink, not to mention to 'breakeven' on the drinks one missed to have on such such day.

The whole approach by NCL free style is full of 'Gotcha you!' loopholes. Artificially inflated price on drinks, internet packages and shore excursions just to create al illusion that you got a great discount by paying the Free at Sea package. 

As I said before, NCL does have a niche in the cruising market. I will go on NCL when price is 'artificially' ultra low. But I don't agree on their business practise on principle. It is not 'Free at Sea', it is 'Avoid Minefield at Sea' almost, says me tongue in cheek.

We don't have a problem on board, the big number crunch is done before we book as we do shop around all the main lines and a few UK focused ones.

Not that bothered about breakeven once its paid you just get on with your cruise

Same if you don't take the package because the up front calc say don't bother

It a bit annoying NCL changed the dinner count in Jan and now the change in prices for the free at sea mean what's in my head need to get updated to do the value comparisons. 

For our next one they have a 2meal deal(£60) top up, brings it back to the old dinner count just more money.

Bottom line this year Princess was beating NCL on the deals by quite a margin,  balconies AI £100/$125pppd  on some UK departures.

key features are the drinks package and any pay meals included, internet and shorex I can count at low/Zero value, never used the shorex and sometimes don't use all our minutes.

When NCL UK put the £250pp air credit it brought some prices down if you booked the air.

(UK->Europe flights tend to be less than £250)

Both lines the included drink package does the job, Princess is probably better as it includes water,

NCL I get a dinner or 2  and princes better internet(when it works)

When you add the grats they are both similar at £30pppd which leave the cruise fare etc.

IN the UK there is Marella AI+air are standard, they can be a good benchmark for the budget end of cruising.

NCL drink prices have always been considerably higher than other lines, at least, as far back as I can remember.  

We recently cruised on Holland, and if we were to purchase our drinks, as opposed to having their drink package, a bacardi with coke, or whatever, came to about $8, and that included the gratuity.  Now tell me, what would that cost on NCL?