$16.20 for one measured shot of Bailey's!

MikeyB

11 hours ago, silvercrikhix said:

While you may pay $12.68 USD in Germany, it cost $30.00 USD in the USA. 
Granted Carnival doesn’t pay near that of course with bulk buying, but that only increases their profits even more.  

As all beverages onboard are toll free... I doubt they pay the US price... And as a German I have to pay the same price onboard for a drink as an American.

steamboats

Baileys is $23.48 in Walmart in the US, imported liquor is always more.

The cheap imitations nearly always use wine instead of Irish Whisky and that NCLs  Maloney's is no exception, it's also wine based.

I'm just back from my Jade cruise last week. On the regular drink menus there was no more Baileys listed. All the days we had some fun with the bartenders, because "Mollys is the new Baileys". They couldn't (or wouldn't) tell us why it was changed. This is what they serve now and we were told it's best to just order "Irish Cream":

20220509_213724-small.thumb.jpg.00e799e7d7de5d9d87c92f8f15e07f5a.jpg

In Le Bistro Baileys is still on the menu, but now for $ 16. I didn't take it and I'm not sure whether they serve original Baileys there ..

20220512_200416-small.thumb.jpg.b111f026c05c8c26bb8e6b3e6066a8a2.jpg

• 7 months later...

I really hope this isn't a stupid question but I'm just unsure if anyone could kindly help...if I order an Amaretto at 13 USD, AND a Coke with it as a mixer that will go over the 15 USD. Does that mean I pay the difference with the limit being 15 USD on the package? Or is it free being a mixer?

Thank you.

On 1/7/2023 at 8:52 AM, farringtonb said:

I really hope this isn't a stupid question but I'm just unsure if anyone could kindly help...if I order an Amaretto at 13 USD, AND a Coke with it as a mixer that will go over the 15 USD. Does that mean I pay the difference with the limit being 15 USD on the package? Or is it free being a mixer?

Thank you.

You should be able to order a "Amaretto & Coke," or "A shot of Amaretto" and "a Coke" with your FAS drink package, since you are allowed 2 beverages per order!

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2022 at 6:27 AM, ChC said:

As I said before, NCL does have a niche in the cruising market. I will go on NCL when price is 'artificially' ultra low. But I don't agree on their business practise on principle. It is not 'Free at Sea', it is 'Avoid Minefield at Sea' almost, says me tongue in cheek.

I'll defer to others who cruise RCL/X/Carnival etc.  My understanding is that their packages are more costly than NCL, though I don't know firsthand.

Everything has become more expensive so I'm not especially surprised that NCL is raising prices.  They need to make money if they're going to remain a going concern.  I do agree that the nickel and diming is annoying; I'd prefer a higher base fare that includes DSC, FAS gratuities, etc.  Then you're closer to "all inclusive."  Do I expect that to happen?  No.  They're trying to hook people with bold type low fares.

2 hours ago, phillygwm said:

I'll defer to others who cruise RCL/X/Carnival etc.  My understanding is that their packages are more costly than NCL, though I don't know firsthand.

It depends. If you are comparing the per person per day market price, NCL leads the way at $109 per person per day plus a 20% gratuity. I think Celebrity is also $109.

If you are looking to bundle, it gets more complicated. RCL doesn't bundle so yes, very expensive compared to NCL. Your best bundle deals are probably going to be MSC which does not charge gratuities on their all in and includes bottled water, sparkling water, specialty coffee. Also, if you can get a VIFP offer from Carnival that includes cheers on us, it also includes the gratuities and a wider selection of choices....milkshakes, coffees, water, drinks up to $20.

NCL can be a decent value but you have to figure in the $21.80 per person per day charge and also understand that you don't get unlimited water, specialty coffees, and you'll need to pay more for a decent glass of wine and some spirits. In the end, I think it depends on what you are looking for in a drink package. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2022 at 3:09 AM, silvercrikhix said:

Just for facts sake, a 750 ml bottle of Baileys is $30 in the USA. 
A 750 ml bottle divided by 45 ml shots (1.5oz) = 16.66 shots per bottle. 
$16 per shot X 16.66 shots = $266.56 per bottle. 

And the guest pays the staffs gratuity on top of that. 

Wow !! I bought a litre bottle of Baileys for £10 at our local Tescos just before Christmas 

8 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

It depends. If you are comparing the per person per day market price, NCL leads the way at $109 per person per day plus a 20% gratuity. I think Celebrity is also $109.

Not sure this is a fair comparison because nobody on NCL actually pays $109 and hasn't for however many years the FAS promo has been running.  

8 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

NCL can be a decent value but you have to figure in the $21.80 per person per day charge and also understand that you don't get unlimited water, specialty coffees, and you'll need to pay more for a decent glass of wine and some spirits. In the end, I think it depends on what you are looking for in a drink package. 

This is why I always upgrade to Premium Plus or more recently FAS+.  FAS+ is $42 (if solo, otherwise $49) and includes effectively everything.  All in, that pushes it up to $70.80 pp for a couple but that includes unlimited Internet and a couple specialty meals, and an additional excursion credit.  Apples to apples, P+ it's $35/$56.80, so roughly half what you'd pay on RCL/Celebrity.  Not sure what the effective cost is for Carnival (i.e. what you'd pay for a cruise with VIFP versus without) but I'd never sail Carnival anyway because it's just not my vibe.  I might try MSC someday but I've heard mixed reviews, especially with regard to the food.  They're usually the low cost provider in the industry.

Again, I get OP's point: I'd prefer NCL have a flat rate inclusive of taxes, port fees, DSC and grats, maybe with an upcharge only for P+/FAS+.  For non-drinkers, they could have another price tier similar to Sailaway, though perhaps including the other perks.  That way, when I'm looking at the fare, I know that's what I'll be paying, as opposed to hundreds of dollars additional.  I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, room with a view said:

Wow !! I bought a litre bottle of Baileys for £10 at our local Tescos just before Christmas 

Of course a bottle is cheaper at your local store. All groceries are cheaper at a store. Here in the states Chipotle charges about $10 for a burrito. You think I can't make a burrito for less than that? 

At Costco I can purchase a ten pound hunk of prime tenderloin for just under $200. I'd be surprised if I could find a decent tenderloin at a restaurant for under $50 for half a pound. 

You think a bowl of pasta at Olive Garden costs $20 at cost? I could probably make five or six bowls of pasta at home for the same money. 

I'm not a fan of upcharging just to make a bigger profit (not that NCL knows what profit is right now), but I sure do expect to pay more at a restaurant, on a ship, at the airport, at Disney, than I would by purchasing it at the local grocery store. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Of course a bottle is cheaper at your local store. All groceries are cheaper at a store. Here in the states Chipotle charges about $10 for a burrito. You think I can't make a burrito for less than that? 

At Costco I can purchase a ten pound hunk of prime tenderloin for just under $200. I'd be surprised if I could find a decent tenderloin at a restaurant for under $50 for half a pound. 

You think a bowl of pasta at Olive Garden costs $20 at cost? I could probably make five or six bowls of pasta at home for the same money. 

I'm not a fan of upcharging just to make a bigger profit (not that NCL knows what profit is right now), but I sure do expect to pay more at a restaurant, on a ship, at the airport, at Disney, than I would by purchasing it at the local grocery store. 

ok point taken

3 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

Just off an RCI cruise and Baileys was $11 a shot...not sure why NCL charges so much.

Ecause that is what their market will pay, it’s really very simple. 

21 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

Just off an RCI cruise and Baileys was $11 a shot...not sure why NCL charges so much.

All the liquor prices on NCL are purposely inflated as is the cost of their beverage packages.

NCL makes money off the beverage package daily service charges. So the higher the cost of the beverage package the more they get to put in their pockets from the mandatory 20% charge. Also, the kids of alcohol included is based solely on the price of the drink so they price drinks based on what they want you to have and not realistic drink prices. Another reason the prices aren't realistic is so that it pushes a vast majority of people to just get the beverage package and pay the $300+ per person in service charges.

35 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Ecause that is what their market will pay, it’s really very simple. 

It has absolutely zero to do with this because less than 1% are actually paying those drink prices. Their pricing is all based on the drinks they want you to have since price is the sole determining factor of whats included in the beverage package. By elevating the price is also pushes more people to get the beverage package rather than paying $12-14 for the drink they want each time.

7 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

By elevating the price is also pushes more people to get the beverage package rather than paying $12-14 for the drink they want each time.

So, your argument is that increasing the number of people WITH the beverage package benefits the cruise line?

11 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Another reason the prices aren't realistic is so that it pushes a vast majority of people to just get the beverage package and pay the $300+ per person in service charges.

My service charge for the beverage package for my cruise this month is $138.60 per person. How do you get $300+?

2 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

So, your argument is that increasing the number of people WITH the beverage package benefits the cruise line?

Yes, because of the $152.60 per person per 7 day sailing is more than the cost NCL incurs for the alcohol 95% of the people consume during that time. The markup on alcohol is huge!

For example, NCL has Romio Prosecco listed at $10 per glass. There's generally 5 glasses in each bottle. That's a list price of $50 for 1 bottle of Romio Prosecco onboard NCL. You can buy a bottle at Total Wine for $9.97 and italian websites are selling it for about 4 euro per bottle which means that in bulk NCL is probably paying about $4-5 per bottle as well due to the import fees. That's a cost of less than $1 per glass.

15 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

My service charge for the beverage package for my cruise this month is $138.60 per person. How do you get $300+?

$300+ is for 2 people in 1 cabins since both are required to purchase the beverage package...can't have just 1 with it.

Meant to say per cabin...not per person.

Edited by DaCruiseBug

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Not comparable exactly because the markup total is much higher on alcohol than food which is why restaurants literally go out of business just for losing their liquor license. Additionally NCL goes further to avoid allowing you to carry on anything as I think wine as an example has a cork fee regardless where consumed. So its not like NCL isn't marking up alcohol by like 2000% compared to the food markup of like 30% at a restaurant so they can absorb a tiny change... they dont though because this is a way to nickel and dime you but get some people like in this thread defending them and sayings "its only a couple dollars".

The primary issue is that you say its "free at sea" then charge for it. Don't call it free then and just say its a $15/drink discount but that doesn't sounds as good or sell as well.

Finally keep your list of drinks included up to date and don't change it multiple times during the year.

I'm not a Bailey's expert, but on our recent cruise NCL had Maloney's Irish Cream as part of the regular beverage package. We ordered it several times and it was just fine. I'm sure fans of Bailey's could probably tell the difference, but it certainly sufficed.

40 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Yes, because of the $152.60 per person per 7 day sailing is more than the cost NCL incurs for the alcohol 95% of the people consume during that time. The markup on alcohol is huge!

For example, NCL has Romio Prosecco listed at $10 per glass. There's generally 5 glasses in each bottle. That's a list price of $50 for 1 bottle of Romio Prosecco onboard NCL. You can buy a bottle at Total Wine for $9.97 and italian websites are selling it for about 4 euro per bottle which means that in bulk NCL is probably paying about $4-5 per bottle as well due to the import fees. That's a cost of less than $1 per glass.

But they would make even more without the package as then the person not only pays for the drink, they also pay an additional 20% gratuity on each drink. Again, it would appear that more guests having the package is less beneficial to the cruise line.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

$300+ is for 2 people in 1 cabins since both are required to purchase the beverage package...can't have just 1 with it.

Meant to say per cabin...not per person.

OK, I can accept that you meant per cabin, but $138.60 * 2 is not $300+