Which Carnival Ship Just Completed the Panama Canal and dropped Covid Pos Passengers in Seattle

klfrodo

2 hours ago, Michelle_P said:

We are doing much better now.

Before boarding we have to complete the on-line checkin process, and had to make sure we met various other requirements.  These requirements seemed to be moving targets for us.

The FDA authorized a second COVID-19 vaccine booster for folks over 50 (us) about 2 1/2 weeks before departure.  A day later, before our state had authorized the booster and before our medical provider was ready to provide it to us, we got an e-mail from Carnival that indicated we had to be fully vaccinated including all booster shots we were eligible for by 14 days before sailing. That gave us a window of two days to track down booster shots.  My wife and I found appointments at two different pharmacies on Saturday, 15 days before sailing, and drove some 25-30 miles each to get the shots.  Phew!  (We received another mail about 12 days before departure with language clarifying that the 14 days before sailing requirement only applied to the initial vaccine series, not boosters.  Thanks, guys! )

The online checkin for all the folks in our party was a problem.  When I clicked the link on my Carnival web page ‘to-do’ list I was taken to a page that said “um… er… oops.  There is a problem and we are already working on it…”. This problem persisted.  At 10 days before sailing we contacted the Carnival web site support folks, who were able to reproduce the problem.  They indicated that it might take a few weeks to fix.  Um… er… oops. Indeed!

At 6 days before sailing, still unable to check in via website or Hub app, we called another support line, and eventually got through. (I have memorized the hold messages about Fun Ships by this point.). A very helpful representative who seemed experienced with this issue coached us through creating new web site accounts, connecting these to our booking, and worked through possible operating system and Web browser combinations that might work.  We were successful in getting to the checkin pages with the fifth OS/browser combination we tried, a Mac OSX  system with Safari browser.  (iOS/Safari, Windows 10/Edge, Windows 11/Edge, and Ubuntu/Firefox had all failed in various ways, from the Um.. err… oops error to a blank page)

We had some trouble with data we entered in the checkin screens vanishing.  The fix for this was to type very slowly, and to wait 5 seconds after entering the data before clicking the Submit button for each group of entries.  Limiting myself to one-finger typing helped (I’m a retired software engineer.  I type fast…)

We did eventually get through this and complete the checkin process.

The actual boarding experience was a bit of a mess simply due to the need to get 2,000 people through the Miami terminal, the antigen test immediately before boarding required for everyone (as requested by Jamaica, from what I understand), and the wait for results.  It took a few hours.

Glad you're feeling better!

That check-in process sounds terrible! I can't imagine the feeling when Carnival told you about booster requirements only 2.5 weeks before the cruise.

22 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

The only possible way the ship could be responsible for anyone picking up covid on the ship is if they require a neg test 5 days prior to boarding and then quarantine at the terminal—individual rooms— and then another neg test before allowed out of their room. Even then it would be possible for a case to slip through with a longer incubation. And no one is allowed off the ship until final departure. It is impossible for there not to be a good chance of cases on board and the cruise line cannot change or be responsible for science. They are not responsible if you pick up a cold on a cruise.

I had Covid recently, with fever, chills, congestion. I actually tested negative with an at-home test on my second day of symptoms (when my fever was the worst). I tested again on Day 3, and was positive. So as you say, even that scenario may not be enough. Unless I'm bad at testing. 🙂 

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Masks help whatever the anti-maskers think.

Anyone might fall off a ferris wheel, and you better believe the park will pay out.

This is over employment, but you better believe the lawyers are keeping score.

https://www.fisherphillips.com/innovations-center/covid-19-employment-litigation-tracker-and-insights/index.html

Wow, lawyers looking to make a buck. Shocking news. 

It still doesn’t change the fact that anyone who gets on a cruise ship is risking getting Covid. Period. If they do, blaming the cruise lines, other passengers, whoever else….doesn’t change the fact that they got infected because of their decision to get on the ship. Period. It really is that simple.

Edited by Hoosierpop
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, geneparmesan said:

I had Covid recently, with fever, chills, congestion. I actually tested negative with an at-home test on my second day of symptoms (when my fever was the worst). I tested again on Day 3, and was positive. So as you say, even that scenario may not be enough. Unless I'm bad at testing. 🙂 

nope. 

I’ve known a good number of people who tested negative for a few days after symptoms began before they finally tested positive. 

6 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

Wow, lawyers looking to make a buck. Shocking news. 

It still doesn’t change the fact that anyone who gets on a cruise ship is risking getting Covid. Period. If they do, blaming the cruise lines, other passengers, whoever else….doesn’t change the fact that they got infected because of their decision to get on the ship. Period. It really is that simple.

i agree. 

Parks pay out because it likely is covered by insurance and saves them money on litigation in the long run, even if they are found not at fault. 
Plus those incidents don’t happen frequently. Covid infections do. You would likely see a much different approach to covid lawsuits. And the likelyhood of a company just paying out would be lower. Imagine t

I’m in Canada so it might be different but part of my job deals with the “risk” of people becoming infected while on our premise. The general consensus is that it would be a long uphill battle at this point to prove the business was at fault. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

If someone can't/won't follow the rules, they shouldn't be allowed on a cruise. But of course some are, and hell yes, the cruise line is responsible.

Are you saying that the cruise line is responsible for taking care of sick passengers, or that the cruise line is responsible for cruisers getting covid?

If I go to a restaurant and am served by a waiter who tests positive 24 hours after my visit, they are surely not responsible if I test positive 4 days later. Immediately after the re-open (2 weeks to slow the spread?), every store I went into had a sign saying basically we will not be held responsible for you catching covid. I cannot imagine that this is not addressed in Carnival's contract about them not being held liable if someone catches covid. No one forces us to visit restaurants and stores; none of us is being forced to go on a cruise.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

The media isn't the problem. The positive cases are the problem.

Since when is having less information the answer? People need information in order to make strong decisions. There are people with all types of medical issues that would want to avoid a Covid outbreak or exposure even if they are vaccinated. Yes, some vaccinated people die. There are breakthrough cases. Ignorance is never the answer.

Actually ignorance is bliss. People die every day. My father used to say when one dies another is born to take their place. No problems.  I guess that comes from growing up in europe during ww2.. For most people these days, a bad day is when mickey d's hands you your order and you reach in the bag to be greeted with cold french fries. Its been 2 years. if Covid didn't kill you it was meant for something else to do that job. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The people who think covid is no big deal, or who blame the victim, obviously haven't been impacted by covid sufficiently. Ignorance is bliss.

I’m not sure if you are including me in this or not because my post was agreeing with one that disagreed with you. 

I do not think covid is no big deal. I have never said that.  I have generally been in support of restrictions and requirements. I’d be perfectly fine if masks were still required. 

I do think that someone would have a hard time proving it is the cruise line’s fault though.

I’m not victim blaming but there is an element of risk in every activity. People do have some personal responsibility in this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1kaper said:

I’m not sure if you are including me in this or not because my post was agreeing with one that disagreed with you. 

I do not think covid is no big deal. I have never said that.  I have generally been in support of restrictions and requirements. I’d be perfectly fine if masks were still required. 

I do think that someone would have a hard time proving it is the cruise line’s fault though.

I’m not victim blaming but there is an element of risk in every activity. People do have some personal responsibility in this. 

I was not accusing anyone.

It isn't a matter of the cruise line being 100% to blame - it is a matter of them being negligent to some extent. One example would be not trying to enforce their covid policies.

People do have some personal responsibility in this, including following the rules. Covid spreaders have some liability, too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I was not accusing anyone.

It isn't a matter of the cruise line being 100% to blame - it is a matter of them being negligent to some extent. One example would be not trying to enforce their covid policies.

People do have some personal responsibility in this, including following the rules. Covid spreaders have some liability, too.

What policies are they not enforcing?  

Also part of my job is overseeing our own policies. I can tell you from personal experience enforcement of covid policies are challenging. masking policies in particular are a nightmare to enforce. It isn’t as clear cut as some would think. 

good luck proving covid spreaders we’re aware and being negligent. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

What policies are they not enforcing?  

Also part of my job is overseeing our own policies. I can tell you from personal experience enforcement of covid policies are challenging. masking policies in particular are a nightmare to enforce. It isn’t as clear cut as some would think. 

good luck proving covid spreaders we’re aware and being negligent. 

When masks were required, as an example. Enforcement was lame.

If someone was diagnosed with covid and ignored quarantine as an example.

We were on this cruise.  In my opinion Carnival was seriously under prepared for the Covid outbreak.  Yes, we know we are at risk for contracting Covid/other illness when we leave the safety of our own homes.  But cruise lines should also be prepared should an outbreak occur.  Guest services, Medical, room service was overwhelmed, understaffed & under trained.  I do not blame Carnival or crew members for the outbreak, I do, however,  believe they need to get a better way of handling it when/if it does happen.  Embarkation was a mess, disembarkation was a mess too.  Thankfully, we did not get sick.  And hopefully cruise lines will learn from these situations & come up with better ways to deal with them.  Understaffing & disorganization & poor communication seemed to be the biggest issues.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Here’s the source of my information on this topic: My brother- and sister-in-law were on the Spirit. They had a great cruise through the Canal and were going back-to-back to Alaska. The day before debark day for the Canal cruise they were administered a Covid test which came back positive. They were told to stay in their room and that they would be contacted there with further information.

And this is what I want to say: When previous posters said that Carnival should have taken better care of people I don’t think they were necessarily referring to medical care. What was missing was food. And information. They were confined to their room early in the morning. They tried all day to make contact with Guest Services, Room Service, anyone, with no success. They were finally able to get through to Room Service sometime in the evening and were able to order a meal. They had to beg them to take their order for breakfast the next day. And no information was ever sent to their room. This is so surprising to me as I have always found Carnival’s response to events onboard (eg. the Splendor fire) to be marked by kindness and openness. I would have hoped that at some point someone would have become aware that the detainees had absolutely nothing to eat and something basic could have been done; maybe dropping a sandwich outside each door, knocking and leaving. I would just like to know what went wrong. 

[edited to remove bolding. I didn't mean to shout]

Edited by AlpineAlice
format change
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

As part of my wife's employment, she is tested weekly for COVID. Her latest test came back as Positive...we were shocked. No symptoms at all, no fever, no aches, no cough....nada. She took the mandatory stay in at home, and felt fine....after 3 days the retest was Negative. I wonder if the phrase " CARNIVAL CRUISERS TEST POSITIVE FOR COVID....is a bit much. Yes, the statement is true, but drilling down a bit, there's more than meets the flash headline. Maybe it's not as dreadful as it sounds....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The people who think covid is no big deal, or who blame the victim, obviously haven't been impacted by covid sufficiently. Ignorance is bliss.

I have never met anyone who thinks Covid is no big deal. But for the vast majority of people, they get it, they get over it, life goes on. Just like many other viruses. 

And it’s not about blaming the victim. It’s about choices people make. Unless someone gets Covid because they depend on others for assistance, they got it from their own actions. They chose to be around other people. It’s how I’ve gotten it twice. I understood my health risk was really low, and chose to live my life like normal. If I got really sick or died, it would have been completely my responsibility. I don’t judge others for making different decisions. 

I truly don’t get why anyone would depend on others to not give them a virus. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

And it’s not about blaming the victim. It’s about choices people make. Unless someone gets Covid because they depend on others for assistance, they got it from their own actions.

Choice? Like grocery shopping or going to school? Many in health care have caught covid trying to help.

For someone to get covid, someone had to give it to them. It isn't unilateral.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Choice? Like grocery shopping or going to school? Many in health care have caught covid trying to help.

For someone to get covid, someone had to give it to them. It isn't unilateral.

Yes. Those are choices. And in each choice, the person knows they are putting themselves at risk. They can mitigate that risk in a variety of ways. But they can’t eliminate it if they are going to be around other people.

But for anyone to get on a cruise ship, get Covid, and then complain the cruise line didn’t do enough to protect them is avoiding the consequences of their actions.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, scpirate said:

Actually ignorance is bliss. People die every day. My father used to say when one dies another is born to take their place. No problems.  I guess that comes from growing up in europe during ww2.. For most people these days, a bad day is when mickey d's hands you your order and you reach in the bag to be greeted with cold french fries. Its been 2 years. if Covid didn't kill you it was meant for something else to do that job. 

Risk analysis is hard for some people, emotion and feelings get in the way of accurate risk assessment. If they told us about every single car accident across the nation (from fender benders to great bodily injury and death) everyday on the news, people would be afraid to drive. A lot of us have lost friends/family to vehicle accidents and don't think twice about jumping behind the wheel. Those that understand odds can look at the risk with a mathematical assessment based perspective, others just focus on the bad cases, worst case scenarios and only see doom/gloom and have a fear based assessment perspective. I actually think some may have covid PTSD of some kind, due to the constant assault of fear being pumped by media/news for ratings. Some may never come around, even though they may have a couple percent or less chance of dying or getting really sick. Ironically, many take much greater chances on many other risks and just the regular stuff that is made up of simply living but don't think twice about it because it's not in their face constantly.  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

Yes. Those are choices. And in each choice, the person knows they are putting themselves at risk. They can mitigate that risk in a variety of ways. But they can’t eliminate it if they are going to be around other people.

But for anyone to get on a cruise ship, get Covid, and then complain the cruise line didn’t do enough to protect them is avoiding the consequences of their actions.

If they want their family to eat they have no choice. Those they encounter, do.

If the cruise line sells a cruise based on certain rules and the rules aren't followed, or course the cruise line has liability.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

Is it mandatory to be tested on the way back to the US on a cruise? If not one would have to be very sick to get tested through the ship and face the music. 

Two words - contact tracing  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

For me the key issue is the ship is not prepared to provide adequate care for quarantined passengers.  Access to food and beverages should be routine and timely. 

It seems the run up to getting every ship sailing and then bragging about it was more important to them than having policies in place to deal with cases of Covid popping up.

• Haha 2