I got an upgrade option. Would you say yes?

3 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Upsell calls are always based on need for your assigned cabin.  Doesn't matter if you are a first timer or 100th timer, other than first timers are more likely to accidently select a connected stateroom without being linked to the second cabin.

This right here.

A lot of folks get really upset when newbies get offers and they don't.  It has nothing to do with the guest, and everything to do with demand for that room.

In a cheap inside room that's nearly sold out, while balconies are selling slow?  You'll get an offer.  But if your already in a balcony on that sailing, Carnival has little to no interest in moving you.  

In my own experience, I've never gotten an upgrade offer when booking a balcony.  When I've booked an Oceanview, I've gotten an offer nearly every time (less inventory of these).

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, elklemi said:

Those who receive upgrade offers I am curious if you received the offer via email or from your booking info on the web site.

When we got our offer years ago on our honeymoon cruise it was a phone call.

I've been around the boards a few months now and it seems like people are seeing it in their cruise manager "to do list" on the Carnival site.  I checked daily before my recent cruise and nothing. Some people mentioned they got an email as well but it seems it shows up in the cruise manager first (people said by the time they go to the offer, it was gone, I assume sold out)

Edited by 1kaper

My turn to guess

Been on a half dozen or so Carnival cruises. I was given upsell offers on my Nov 21 and Jan 22 cruise.

Both cruises I had inside rooms booked.

November I booked 2 rooms side by side. Upsell offer was for my room. Moved to an extended balcony one floor down. Other room didn't change and the original room I had went vacant.

January I had a mid ship lower level inside. Got upsold to a lido balcony. Not sure what they did with my original cabin.

It seems that there has been an increase in frequency in upsell offers since the restart. The major change in the business has been the number of pax sailing. Both my cruises were way below capacity. Acknowledged both times by the cruise director.

My guess is Carnival is upselling rooms on half full ships to generate more income. Selling at a discount is still a sale. That is also why cruise fares and promos have been insane for sailings this spring. As demand for cruising increases and the ships are getting closer to capacity I expect the upsell offers will decrease. 

Just curious if anyone knows .... we received and took an upgrade offer on our upcoming May cruise.  We have another cruise booked for late summer, and I've been looking in my cruise manager daily hoping for an upsell/upgrade offer.   It occurred to me today that the offer might only appear under either my or DH's account, so maybe I should be checking both.   Does anyone know how that works?  If an offers appears under one VIFP login, will it also appear in both?   Is it the booking number that is receiving the offer (so it would be in both) or is it the VIFP account (so it would only be in one).   Is it sufficient to just check my account, rather than both?  

1 hour ago, elklemi said:

Those who receive upgrade offers I am curious if you received the offer via email or from your booking info on the web site.

It was both for me. I got an email that an upgrade was available and it appeared in the cruise manager on the website. We decided not to do the upgrade and it expired, but the link still shows up in my cruise manager (which I check every now and then to see if it's a new offer 😄).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Abr155 said:

Don't mean to hijack this post BUT, so many here received upgrade offers.  Just curious, how many Carnival sailings have you sailed?  Just wondering if it's something typically reserved for repeat, loyal guests.  October cruise will only be our second Carnival cruise.  Happy with our extended balcony, but who wouldn't love an upgrade fairy offer for a suite?

I have gotten a phone call for upsell/upgrade offers from my very first Carnival cruise.  I've only said YES when they were truly FREE.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elklemi said:

Mine was just on my cruise manager on the website. I didn't receive a separate email or a phone call.

18 minutes ago, PittsburghGirlee said:

Is the upsell offers on the website?  If so, where would I look?

TIA

It'll be on your cruise manager Before You Go To-Do List. It should pop up above your health screening and check in information.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Indytraveler83 said:

This right here.

A lot of folks get really upset when newbies get offers and they don't.  It has nothing to do with the guest, and everything to do with demand for that room.

In a cheap inside room that's nearly sold out, while balconies are selling slow?  You'll get an offer.  But if your already in a balcony on that sailing, Carnival has little to no interest in moving you.  

In my own experience, I've never gotten an upgrade offer when booking a balcony.  When I've booked an Oceanview, I've gotten an offer nearly every time (less inventory of these).

Carnival first timer, we got an upgrade offer from a balcony to a suite just this week for $450

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Abr155 said:

Don't mean to hijack this post BUT, so many here received upgrade offers.  Just curious, how many Carnival sailings have you sailed?  Just wondering if it's something typically reserved for repeat, loyal guests.  October cruise will only be our second Carnival cruise.  Happy with our extended balcony, but who wouldn't love an upgrade fairy offer for a suite?

I think it depends a lot on what you booked and what is selling.  If you booked and inside or OV it is easier to upgrade you to a balcony and resell the cheaper cabin than to sell an higher priced balcony or suite--especially when it gets closer to departure dates.  If you are already in a OV or balcony on one of the higher decks then your odds get lower for an upgrade.  

• Thanks 1

I received a call in 2016 or 2017 to move from an inside to a corner aft balcony for $292.  Yes, we did it!  While I was chatting with the rep, he told me that it was a targeted offer for “Platinums in insides”.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 4:46 PM, sanmarcosman said:

I would stick with the two portholes on any Fantasy class ship especially one sailing for only 5 days. 

Why, those Fantasy Class balconies are so spacious? 🙄🙄🙄

On 5/4/2022 at 2:50 PM, Abr155 said:

Twenty-one cruises in my past, and I've never been called by the upgrade fairy. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2022 at 3:50 PM, Abr155 said:

we had 4 cruises. we got upgraded from oceanview to grand suite. i think it was a matter of them needing more oceanview (possibly for quarantine as some were quarantined on our ship). 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 8:56 AM, teacher2cruiser said:

Twenty-one cruises in my past, and I've never been called by the upgrade fairy. 

This is our 5th time with Carnival. No upgrade offers. We've had 3 balcony and 2 oceanview rooms. As someone else pointed out, you rarely get an offer to upgrade from your balcony room. And the two ocean views were on older ships that had few, if any, balconies to upgrade to.

Carnival has different people assigned to different sailings as to upgrades. I got an up grade from inside to aft wrap on a 4 day for@425 last Feb. Called the guy regarding my upcoming may 19 cruise. He said his college was working that sailing & would get in touch with me. I'm guessing they all have different ways of working

On 5/4/2022 at 1:24 PM, sthrnbll said:

I've never gotten an upgrade offer. I am sailing solo in my cabin. My son and DIL are in their own. I paid $504 for an inside porthole. I got an offer for an increase of $190 for a balcony. I usually cruise in a balcony because I'm a snob 🙂 but I didn't book it this time since I was solo. I'm just not sure if that would be a good price. 5 days on Elation.

I posted this on May 4th. I debated and debated since I am cruising solo if I wanted to spend the additional money. Yesterday, I decided I wanted to so I logged on to my account and the cost went down to $130 from $190. I would say that is a win!!

• Like 2

On 5/10/2022 at 3:49 PM, Z0nker said:

This is our 5th time with Carnival. No upgrade offers. We've had 3 balcony and 2 oceanview rooms. As someone else pointed out, you rarely get an offer to upgrade from your balcony room. And the two ocean views were on older ships that had few, if any, balconies to upgrade to.

This will be my 13th and its the first time I've ever had an offer.

21 hours ago, Z0nker said:

Nice! What kind of offer was it?

Not really sure. I was in an inside porthole room and moved to a balcony. Its in the back of the ship which I'm not real excited about and I moved down a few floors but whatever. I'm glad I have a balcony

• Like 1