Time needed at Amsterdam airport...

Generally you should be fine, but as you don't tell us where you are flying to, hard to give an final answer. For example, if your plane's first stop is a US airport, you have an additional step in security.

I have seen some recent comments airport operations at AMS have had some issues lately.

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Generally you should be fine, but as you don't tell us where you are flying to, hard to give an final answer. For example, if your plane's first stop is a US airport, you have an additional step in security.

I have seen some recent comments airport operations at AMS have had some issues lately.

Flying direct to a US airport.

Most airlines to the US want you to check in 3 hours prior, although often 2 hours will do. However if you are flying on a weekend expect a lot of passengers and not only that at the moment Schiphol airport is often a mess. Expect long lines, not only to check in but also security are having problems since they seem to be understaffed. 

In case you are flying business class you will see shorter lines.

• Like 1

Info above very helpful. We'll be flying out of AMS after our Arctic Circle cruise Aug 7th. We were so uncertain about the covid test to fly back to US AMS-LAX via SEA that we booked a 2:30pm flight (DL One)  and hoping to receive our test onboard RCI Jewel but if not we'll do at AMS I expect this will be our best option....Thoughts?

We flew out of AMS one week ago.  It took us a solid 2.5 hours to check in, stand in que to enter security area, que for security and then que for passport control.  We gave ourselves 3 hours.  Many in line missed their flights because they did not allow enough time.  Once we went through passport control we went to the gate, where the boarding process was already started.  We usually have plenty of time in the airport, but with all of the lines, we just made this flight.  We also had priority in the check in lines.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, topspot said:

We flew out of AMS one week ago.  It took us a solid 2.5 hours to check in, stand in que to enter security area, que for security and then que for passport control.  We gave ourselves 3 hours.  Many in line missed their flights because they did not allow enough time.  Once we went through passport control we went to the gate, where the boarding process was already started.  We usually have plenty of time in the airport, but with all of the lines, we just made this flight.  We also had priority in the check in lines.

Thank you - we will head right for the airport, go thru security, find a comfortable spot and relax as we reflect on our cruise!

• Like 1

Often there will be a warning about booking excursions that have a airport drop-off, that it is only meant for passengers having a flight leaving after 3:00pm (or thereabout).

With the added security and health screening that others have already mentioned I wouldn't risk it.

We are doing an excursion with airport drop-off on our upcoming cruise but our flight doesn't leave until 11:00 am the following day and we are overnighting at an airport hotel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2022 at 11:29 AM, edgeman61 said:

Often there will be a warning about booking excursions that have a airport drop-off, that it is only meant for passengers having a flight leaving after 3:00pm (or thereabout).

With the added security and health screening that others have already mentioned I wouldn't risk it.

We are doing an excursion with airport drop-off on our upcoming cruise but our flight doesn't leave until 11:00 am the following day and we are overnighting at an airport hotel.

When will you do your Covid testing.  We are there an additional 2 nights and I’m wondering how long they will accept teat results.

It is my understanding that to fly back to the U.S. (for U.S. citizens), you need to have a negative test 1 day prior to you flight.

There is a testing facility at Schiphol (Test-2-Fly) and I believe there are testing facilities at the Hilton and Sheraton attached to the airport (but you may have to be a guest?).

If Holland America does testing the Saturday before the Sunday disembarkation we will have to be tested again on Sunday at the earliest for our Monday flight.

The direct flights to DFW leave AMS just prior to 11:00 AM so I didn't think it prudent to try to fly out the day we arrive back in Amsterdam.

If HAL will test us on the Sunday that we arrive in Amsterdam then we would be OK for our Monday AM flight.

You can find up-to-date info about AMS online, but everything I've read lately shows the queues are very long.

We flew out to Edinburgh on 5/1, and we had a wait for more than 3 hours to get through security. We were on a ship-sponsored tour with airport transfer, but we got to the airport early (just before noon) because one couple on our tour had an early flight. I doubt they made it though.

Our flight was around 4:20 p.m., so we got to the gate with little time to spare.