Cruise Train Anchorage to Whittier

bartexas

We purchased the Cruise Train from Anchorage to Whittier before our Southbound cruise on May 15th. It has not shown up anywhere on our itinerary. I double checked and made sure I have the receipt - I did pay for it. I went to it like I was going to book it, and it noted that we had already purchased it. Today, it showed up on the itinerary from my TA that came with the notice that we're on our own for testing in Vancouver, but it's still not on my online itinerary or in the app.

At this point, I have no idea where to go to get on the train or what time to go there.

Does anyone know this info? Is this something they will be sending?

Greetings from Virginia!  My husband and I are also on the train on May 15th (we booked independently).  The train departs the Anchorage train station at 9:45am and arrives at the Whittier ship terminal at 12:05pm.  

I just called HAL.

They told me it departs at 1:00 from the Alaska Railroad Depot, arrives in Whittier 3:50. My boarding time is 4:00, so that makes sense. It's not on the Alaska Railroad site, but if the train is only for those who booked through the cruise line, that also makes sense.

Seriously annoying that they don't provide this info.

2 hours ago, bartexas said:

I just called HAL.

They told me it departs at 1:00 from the Alaska Railroad Depot, arrives in Whittier 3:50. My boarding time is 4:00, so that makes sense. It's not on the Alaska Railroad site, but if the train is only for those who booked through the cruise line, that also makes sense.

We are considering the train from Whittier to Anchorage and, similarly, there is no information about when the train leaves Whittier. I have tickets on a bus leaving Whittier at 8:45, but we would like to take the train instead as long as it leaves fairly promptly after we disembark.

My TA spent a lot of time yesterday trying to verify this. In her words, "No one there can answer a simple question."

We are supposed to go to the HAL hospitality desk at the Egan Convention Center. They suggest we check in by 11 to ride the bus to the train at 11:45. This seems crazy since the Depot is a quarter of a mile from the ECC.

We get in Saturday and the ECC is an easy walk from our hotel. Think maybe we'll try to go find this hospitality desk the day before and see what they say.

Definitely the last time I purchase pre-cruise travel via HAL.

On 5/8/2022 at 1:31 PM, bartexas said:

I just called HAL.

That sounds correct based on what they did pre-pandemic. The best people to ask will be the local Holland reps at the airport when you land. The local reps handle everything here, so they’ll be in the know of when and where to go. 

7 hours ago, bartexas said:

We are supposed to go to the HAL hospitality desk at the Egan Convention Center. They suggest we check in by 11 to ride the bus to the train at 11:45. This seems crazy since the Depot is a quarter of a mile from the ECC.

It's easier for the HAL rep to 'herd the cats' taking the train if they are all at the Egan Center, and arrive at the depot together. I don't know which hotel you are at, but if the depot is an easy walk from your hotel with luggage, then the Egan Center is, too. 

I said it was an easy walk, which to me is anything under 2 miles depending on weather without luggage… planning to drop the bags at the hotel, then walk to the convention center…

I hate riding on buses, and generally try to avoid them at all costs, and that was Pre-COVID… Hoping we can drop the bags at the ECC and just walk to the train. Even better would be skipping the whole ECC problem and just going straight to the train.

That’s all just stuff that’s adding to my aggravation. My real issue is that it took so much work on my part and my TA’s part to get this information. I thought I was “caving” and booking the easy way rather than hassle with finding and booking a private driver who might cancel last minute… regretting that decision now.

• 1 month later...

Our cruise is still 7 weeks away, but I am getting antsy about the train schedule. I have paid for the transfer by rail from Anchorage to Whittier, but have received no information about when to be where. When I try to get information from the web site, I get, "These items are unavailable for booking at this time. Please check back later."

Would somebody please tell me what to expect on this part of our cruise? Were you able to access this information on the HAL web site? Do we gather at the train depot? How much waiting is there? How many trains are there? If more than one, did you get to choose departure time? What is the experience like in moving from the train to the ship?

Ron

Edited by hughster