Think Twice Before Booking Royal Caribbean

20 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Not sure, some TA's are pretty tight😉

You can say that again, we booked our first 3 cruises thru the same local company and got absolutely NOTHING! I didn't even know that most TA offer perks until I started reading it on here. The last cruise, that ended up cancelled because of the virus that shall not be named. We booked thru a TA that did offer OBC. When I tried to re-book for 2021, I did it directly then did the lift and shift myself, had $200 OBC from the original cancelation. Obviously, will never book with the original/local company again, but may look for a TA for future cruises. 

2 minutes ago, PugM0m said:

You can say that again, we booked our first 3 cruises thru the same local company and got absolutely NOTHING! I didn't even know that most TA offer perks until I started reading it on here. The last cruise, that ended up cancelled because of the virus that shall not be named. We booked thru a TA that did offer OBC. When I tried to re-book for 2021, I did it directly then did the lift and shift myself, had $200 OBC from the original cancelation. Obviously, will never book with the original/local company again, but may look for a TA for future cruises. 

Good luck in your search. There is a fine line between cash back and service. I tend to value service a little higher, so I'm not looking for the 10% credits some speak of. 

These folks have to make a living as well, it's not a hobby

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Good luck in your search. There is a fine line between cash back and service. I tend to value service a little higher, so I'm not looking for the 10% credits some speak of. 

I feel the same way. I wouldn't expect cash back, because yeah, this is their lively hood and every one needs to make money. Frankly, it didn't even annoy me that nothing was offered for the very first cruise we booked thru them, as we could have been one and done. But when we went back the 2nd and 3rd time, would have been nice to have a little OBC or even a meal in one of the specialty restaurants, even just lunch. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PugM0m said:

I feel the same way. I wouldn't expect cash back, because yeah, this is their lively hood and every one needs to make money. Frankly, it didn't even annoy me that nothing was offered for the very first cruise we booked thru them, as we could have been one and done. But when we went back the 2nd and 3rd time, would have been nice to have a little OBC or even a meal in one of the specialty restaurants, even just lunch. 

My old TA gave us free tips for booking balcony and higher. Maybe some OBC, a few dinner vouchers, and once a massage.

Found out years later she was booking us in group rates, but charging us rack rate. Still stuck with her because of her service. 

Left when she retired/moved on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Might think twice if you would get $20,000 back for OBC for that WC which is what you should be getting.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Might think twice if you would get $20,000 back for OBC for that WC which is what you should be getting.

Are you getting 10% back on your trips?

Well, when you actually sail again, I mean.

And should is an interesting premise

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Are you getting 10% back on your trips?

Well, when you actually sail again, I mean.

And should is an interesting premise

OS on Wonder was $3800 total, $525 OB

Panama   Cabin $3400     $375 OBC

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 6:18 PM, charlesspinney said:

Myself and brother are long time passengers of Royal Caribbean.   During the pandemic we took advantage of the excellent fairs for transatlantic crossing and booked grand suite cabins on the May 6th crossing from Tampa to Barcelona.   We were booked on the Serenade of the Seas.   Yesterday we received an email from Royal Caribbean saying our cruise was canceled!  They gave us three options.  The first was to rebook on a cruise to Baltimore,  Maryland on the Vision of the Seas.  The second was to book any other cruise,  but pay any difference in fair. The third was to refund our deposit. 

We looked to rebook and discovered our ship, Serenade of the Seas,  was sailing from Miami to Copenhagen on the same dates.  Why were we canceled?  We liked this itinerary much better!  I tried to book but all Grand Suites were sold out and Junior Suites were twice the cost we paid for our Grand Suite. 

I called Royal Caribbean and spent three hours talking to a half a dozen different agents,  half said they were supervisors.   Only the three options stood.   Most of the agents I talked to didn't know where Baltimore was and couldn't relate to my reasoning that we were not being offered another transatlantic cruise. 

All I can say, goodbye Royal Caribbean,  never again. 

Now booked on the Epic.

Good luck on the Epic not a well designed ship, I hated it!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes, Royal Caribbean does things in an order that causes confusion. In this instance, the OP received notification of the cruise cancellation and tried the same day to book a GS on the new cruise from Miami. No GS available. Sometime later, RCI added all the rooms for the cruise and voila GS are now available.

I’ve just checked for this cruise and there are now 14 GS available. Perhaps, if the OP isn’t TRULLY against RCI, they could go look at this cruise again and find a nice GS.

Good luck.

(This happened to me when Harmony was swapped out for Wonder at Port Canaveral. It took RCI a good month after they notified me of the change to make all the suites available. But eventually, there were many from which to choose.)

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Why? Does a fine job, I have no complaints.

How much OBC are you getting for each cabin on  the WC?

I wonder if they feel the same

As far as my cruise, guess you'll have to wait another 20 months. And I still might not share, to many moving parts

On 5/5/2022 at 6:18 PM, charlesspinney said:

Myself and brother are long time passengers of Royal Caribbean.   During the pandemic we took advantage of the excellent fairs for transatlantic crossing and booked grand suite cabins on the May 6th crossing from Tampa to Barcelona.   We were booked on the Serenade of the Seas.   Yesterday we received an email from Royal Caribbean saying our cruise was canceled!  They gave us three options.  The first was to rebook on a cruise to Baltimore,  Maryland on the Vision of the Seas.  The second was to book any other cruise,  but pay any difference in fair. The third was to refund our deposit. 

We looked to rebook and discovered our ship, Serenade of the Seas,  was sailing from Miami to Copenhagen on the same dates.  Why were we canceled?  We liked this itinerary much better!  I tried to book but all Grand Suites were sold out and Junior Suites were twice the cost we paid for our Grand Suite. 

I called Royal Caribbean and spent three hours talking to a half a dozen different agents,  half said they were supervisors.   Only the three options stood.   Most of the agents I talked to didn't know where Baltimore was and couldn't relate to my reasoning that we were not being offered another transatlantic cruise. 

All I can say, goodbye Royal Caribbean,  never again. 

Now booked on the Epic.

I think I will stick to RCI despite your experience. 

50 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Recently sold my condo for north of 700 grand. Payed the agent around 50 grand in commission.  Should I have asked her 5 grand in rebates. Inquiring minds need to know.

When you put your house up for sale and when you are selecting a realtor/agency that is the time where you should be negotiating what percentage the commission that will be given out after the sale.

Some agency's will take less just to get a listing, when they know a house will sell super fast that don't mind making a quick buck rather then the high commission. Time is money, and if they can sell the house really fast they don't mind taking less and putting more $$ in your pocket.

You have to shop around for the best deal.

30 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

When you put your house up for sale and when you are selecting a realtor/agency that is the time where you should be negotiating what percentage the commission that will be given out after the sale.

Some agency's will take less just to get a listing, when they know a house will sell super fast that don't mind making a quick buck rather then the high commission. Time is money, and if they can sell the house really fast they don't mind taking less and putting more $$ in your pocket.

You have to shop around for the best deal.

Well versed in real estate transactions. Probably done it 20+ times. 

You do you, and I'll do me

15 hours ago, katpt said:

Sometimes, Royal Caribbean does things in an order that causes confusion. In this instance, the OP received notification of the cruise cancellation and tried the same day to book a GS on the new cruise from Miami. No GS available. Sometime later, RCI added all the rooms for the cruise and voila GS are now available.

I’ve just checked for this cruise and there are now 14 GS available. Perhaps, if the OP isn’t TRULLY against RCI, they could go look at this cruise again and find a nice GS.

Good luck.

(This happened to me when Harmony was swapped out for Wonder at Port Canaveral. It took RCI a good month after they notified me of the change to make all the suites available. But eventually, there were many from which to choose.)

Thanks for the information.   I just tried to book a GS on the Miami to Copenhagen sailing.  We were booked on the canceled Tampa to Barcelona.  Total cost $4800CAD for GS cabin 1550.  The same cabin is now available for $17,600CAD.  

We're not re-booking.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, charlesspinney said:

Thanks for the information.   I just tried to book a GS on the Miami to Copenhagen sailing.  We were booked on the canceled Tampa to Barcelona.  Total cost $4800CAD for GS cabin 1550.  The same cabin is now available for $17,600CAD.  

We're not re-booking.

Sorry I was looking at the JS we booked first.  The price for the GS was $6500CAD.  Still over $11,000CAD more.

15 minutes ago, CoolChange37 said:

You might want to check out the Epic.   On all the cruises I have been on, this was my least favorite ship.    The layout is horrible and if you were booked in the grand suite, you are going to be really disappointed.   

I did check it out and I would much prefer the Serenade but the price was just too much.  We did a TA on the Jewel in 2019.  One of the best cruises we were ever on.  Our expectations are not high for the Epic.